Minicraft SS100 Jaguar (1/16th)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jim, I'll join in as I built the MG and that's all I know about these cars. Also just about the right time...I really don't know what's under the bonnet. :smiling6:

So far you're tackling this beast and taming it. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Richard - welcome. With your skill and experience it is good to have you looking in :thumb2:

A bit more progress. First off the steering. Very fiddly and fragile. In fact on one review I read it said it could not be constructed. It is actually workable at the moment but that makes it all a bit wobbly. I want the wheels turned slightly so when I finalise how much I'll glue everything solid
P1050428.JPG
The engine actually fits.
P1050427.JPG
...and the body fits the chassis
P1050423.JPG
P1050424.JPG
P1050425.JPG
P1050426.JPG
Sorry about the rainbow colours but it is too warm to airbrush at the moment.
Thanks for your interest.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I am really enjoying the work you are putting into this little beautieeee! Have you decided on colour yet? British Racing Green might be nice:cool:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jim, I always feel Academy has always been given the end of the stick. They do have some nice kits and are really affordable. First of all if the steering is wobbly so was the real thing...in those days machinery wasn't the hitech stuff you get these days. It's a matter of how you approach a build and you're doing great.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim .
Appolgies for being late. I've been struggling with a chassis, say no more .:sad:
Looks by the photos your doing a great job, those magnets we both got are certainly a help. Unfortunately I managed to break two of mine when they flew at the steel block !
I agree with Peter on the gluing, very neat.
John

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Steve - great minds think alike. British Racing Green it is. Got to find a suitable paint - suggestions welcome.
Richard - your MG was instrumental in me having a go at this. Hope it turns out half as well.
John - welcome John. I have also broken a couple of the magnets in the same way. They are actually too strong.

Assembled the brake drums and fixed them to the axles. Wheels are turned roughly as I want them but all still moveable at the moment.
P1050431.JPG
Tackled the fit between the upper and lower body parts. Dry fit, shave a bit off, dry fit, shave a bit more etc. Took over an hour to get to this stage.
P1050434.JPG
Lots of mould lines on the upper body. I had to check references to be certain they were not supposed to be there. I thought the ones on the back were the boot but no - just mould lines :tongue-out3: All sanded off.
P1050432.JPG
P1050435.JPG
P1050433.JPG
P1050436.JPG
Still too hot to paint but the multi coloured look is really beginning to get on my nerves.
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Jim,
Will follow this along. Your off to a great start and as usual a nice clean start.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim .
At least your chassis looks like one ! Great work, of course in my eye any one who can master a chassis is well up on the leader board.:smiling4:
What is it and you and RED, ? that tug boat was RED as well. Was it used on kits years ago, as you said this was an oldie.
Well glad I'm not alone on those magnets. If I get 2 stuck together I can hardly remove them. Going to have to get some more, but not as fierce !
John .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Jim,
Paint! British Racing Green - difficult to pin down and goes by different names
RAL 6005, Mid Brunswick Green, Mossy Green, Forest Green
Your best bet may be Hiroboy - although they're on their hols until the 17th!
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Scottie - welcome
John - those magnets are positively lethal. They hurl themselves around the place and attack tweezers, knives etc. Far too powerful!! :sad:
Dave - you are certainly right in that there is no one British Racing Green.

Done a bit more but taking so much time. The radiator is 3 pieces. One from the chromed sprue - why I don't know. Removed the chrome and stuck it together and then spent ages sanding it to shape.
P1050437.JPG
P1050438.JPG
Exhausts were the same - chromed. End bits may well be chrome but not the whole pipe!
P1050439.JPG
The chrome is also thick and obscures detail.
Completed the bulkhead. Had to scratch 2 of the pedals. The accelerator fixes to the floor later on.
P1050440.JPG
P1050441.JPG
Despite all the kit's shortcomings and much frustration I am really enjoying this - strange that :rolling:

Thanks for all your support.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Mark of a true modeller...no pain no gain. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

bowman

Steve Bellerby
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Jim,

This looks like a 'challenging' project that you've taken on. I shall follow with interest, and am enjoying your progress to date.

Cheers,
Steve

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
This is developing well, I’m enjoying your build here. There appears to be very few old British cars about, compared to a Ferrari etc, so it’s nice to see one...
Cheers
Tim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jim, I don't know if the green I used for my MG Magnet is racing green. It's Humbrol Gloss 3. Here's pic again for reference...

mag0061.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Steve - I think you could have built this from scratch quicker, better and with less problems :rolling:
Tim - you are right about kits of old British cars. The well known Airfix Bentley is quite easy to get but pricey and old. Very few others though - plenty of more modern stuff but very few Britsh classics.
Richard - that green looks very nice. Is it their Brunswick Green? Enamel or acrylic?

The heat must be frying what is left of my brain. When the instructions call for a piece from the chromed sprue I have removed the part and de-chromed it in Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner. Messing about with tiny parts, worrying that I'll loose them down the plug hole when rinsing them and wasting loads of Mr M. The wife said today why don't you do the whole lot in one go? Now why didn't I think of that!! Then she got one of those Ziploc freezer bags and said do it in that. So - sprue in bag, good squirt of Mr M into the bag, splosh it all about and 1 hour later a rinse and hey presto ....
P1050442.JPG
She keeps chuckling and asking if I need any more advice!!!!
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
One of the classics still available is the 1/24 Revell Bentley 4.5l Blower - this was originally a Heller Model, dating back to 1978, but still worth a look - I've seen one or two stunners made from this
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
hi all
Dave - I have seen photos of the Bentley kit - very impressive.
Ken - thanks. I am glad you said "so far" 'cause it could still all go very wrong :worried:

You will be pleased to know that you can now follow this without the dark glasses. The rainbow look is on the way out :thumb2:
Chassis, seats and engine all primed with black Stynylrez.
P1050446.JPG
P1050447.JPG
P1050448.JPG
P1050449.JPG
Made a couple of floor mats from some denim material soaked in dilute PVA. They will look the part and also cover up the locating holes in the floor where the chassis fits to the body.
P1050450.JPG
Making the doors fit was a long job. The kit doors could have come from a different kit they were so bad! I'll leave the nearside one open. The SS100 had no side windows or outside door handles so that made life easier. I have scratched a door pocket as most reference photos show them.
P1050451.JPG
Thanks for your support. Appreciated and needed :smiling3:
Jim

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Hi Jim, that's so much easier on the eyes now :smiling:, really impressed with your battle with this one but it really is a top build.

D

Deleted member 3568

Yep I was thinking I had gone in a time warp to the 70s.
Looking much better now