Mistress Bowcat's Ancient Egyptian River Nile dio

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
My youngest announced yesterday that her half term project (due in next Tuesday) is to build a model of the River Nile in Ancient Egypt.

Cue one dash to hobbycraft last night for supplies, and tonight we started building.

We started with a couple of pizza based glued together and a rough outline of the River. Then it was time to apply Papier mache.

MVIMG_20180214_183233.jpg

The maestro at work. :smiling3:

The completed base.

MVIMG_20180214_193419.jpg

And to finish off for tonight we started work on a plasticard pyramid (cutting by dad). It's only loosely taped for now as we need to scribe in some brick lines.

MVIMG_20180214_200543.jpg

Last edited:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
oh good on her,she is doing a great job so far,
will look forward to see more,keep up the good work,:hugging-face:

J

Jens Andrée

Few things beats "arts & craft" projects with the kids!!!
Mine are sadly mostly glued to their computers but every now and then they want to make a small project and it's something I look forward to every time! :smiling3:

Her Nile is looking fantastic and together with the pyramid she'll impress both the teachers and the other kids!

Are you going to show her a few 1/72 scale DAK kits to "enhance" the build?... :tongue-out:

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
well done ,taking shape nicely ,keep up the good work,:hugging-face:
look forward to next update,

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Day 3

Learning how to airbrush.

Base painted. We put in some colour modulation, there's 3 different browns and 3 different yellows. Not sure how much will be seen once the media's gone down, but it was a good lesson for littleun.

MVIMG_20180216_195318.jpgMVIMG_20180216_195337.jpg

Going to give it a cost of thinned PVA later tonight in preparation for the sand and gravel.

Last edited:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It's great seeing kids building something, because you never know what might just kick start some sort of creative / artistic gene that might have been overrun by 'social media' uuggh there I said it. Maybe here we will have someone that won't be glued to a smart phone, but might get glued to the bench once in a while. Anyway, great work.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Colin :smiling3:

Day 4

Quite a bit of progress. Gravel and sand down, some rocks, trees, grass and flowers in, the pyramid painted and weathered and a couple of village houses scratch built, painted and weathered.

The pyramids when built had a polished limestone exterior and a gold cap (all of which has been stripped over the last 4000 years) so we have tried to replicate this. The houses I rough sanded to leave scratches which hopefully will show the rough nature they would have had.

MVIMG_20180217_133030.jpgMVIMG_20180217_151020.jpgMVIMG_20180217_155850.jpgMVIMG_20180217_155911.jpgMVIMG_20180217_155934.jpgMVIMG_20180217_155954.jpg

J

Jens Andrée

I can't press the like button enough times to reflect what I think of this but blo*dy well done!!!
Your daughter must be really proud of this and myself as a father know what you feel too...

Who knows, soon she might be modelling too making you company?! :smiling3:

I showed my oldest son your work tonight hoping to spark an interest but sadly no - but he said it looked very nice!

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Jen's. :smiling3:

It's fair to say we've both really enjoyed this project and it's certainly inspired me to try more dio's.

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
how great this is to see,she is doing a great job of it looking real nice well done so far :smiling:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Ian. :smiling3:

My only concern now is getting it into school in one piece.

J

Jens Andrée

Cheers Ian. :smiling3:

My only concern now is getting it into school in one piece.
The logical solution would seem to be a pizza box... :tongue-out:

I'm really impressed with the work you've done and you can tell her that there are also two Swedish boys, aged 12 and 14, who are impressed with her fantastic piece!
You won't be modelling alone much in the future - that I'm sure of! :thumb2: