Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero - Tamiya 1/32 scale

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Its been a while since I posted a build thread so here we go with my latest.

Tamiya released their first 1/32 WW2 warbird in 2000, a A6M5 Zero and it set a new standard of engineering and fit for others to aspire to. It was only in 2006 when they released the next in this series, this model the A6M2b Zero as was used in the Pearl Harbour attack.

Here are a couple of pics of my A6M5 build from several years ago.
IMG00900-20121203-0641.jpg
IMG00885-20121203-0635.jpg

Now it is the turn of this later release...

Like the other early kits in this 1/32 series this model has a number of toy like features, removable engine panels and u/c that can be raised and lowered. There are plenty of screws and springs in this kit!

106310-10911-pristine.jpg
I will be building an aircraft from the Pearl Harbour attack.

The plastic is not the usual Tamiya plastic and it seems a bit brittle but should not be a problem. Unusually it is also two colours with the engine a silver and the rest a kind of mustard shade.

I will be using the AKI Air Series IJN acrylics plus some Vallejo MA Air War series IJN acrylics with AKI weathering. I will be doing a fairly light weathering, light that is for a Japanese aircraft.

Eduard Steel IJN sealtbelts will be used along with Masketar paint masks. I will make a start tonight....

Last edited:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Now did I say the plastic was mustard coloured? well my memory played tricks, it was a few months ago when I last looked but when I opened the box last night I found that it is a light grey after all, but I was right in that its not the normal Tamiya plastic and is harder and more brittle. The engine parts are silver so I remembered that accurately...

This is the aircraft I am building:
IMG_1989.JPG

I did not get a lot of time last night so not a lot of progress. I started on the interior sub-assemblies and there are a lot more to do... I do love the thoughtful engineering using panel lines to minimise the seams that will need sanding...
IMG_1990.JPG

I will continue tonight and will post regular updates in my usual style!

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Got this in the stash with the intention of building a similar Pearl Harbour machine so I'll be watching with interest.
Thanks
P

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That looks like a great kit Barry, watching with interest.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It looks great Barry. I think I need another 1:32 Tamiya in my life, but I'm holding out hoping for a Hurricane.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Sub assemblies done ready to prime.
IMG_1991.JPG
IMG_1992.JPG
IMG_1993.JPG
IMG_1994.JPG
IMG_1996.JPG
IMG_1997.JPG
Setbelts, Eduard steel IJN cut from fret to be added after painting
IMG_1998.JPG
Some dial decals to also add after painting. The other dial are printed back to front and are in place masked up ready in the top pics.

P

Polux

This cabin looks excellent and very detailed....nice kit :eek:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Gradual progress to report...
Lots of metal springs etc to help make the undercarraige lower and raise. Great in theory and Tamiya do bring it off, most companies could not but I certainly will not be playing with the model because even with Tamiya's engineering it will not be long before bits broke.
IMG_2010.JPG
You can see the springs attached above and below, how it looks from the other side once the wheel wells are in place.
IMG_2014.JPG
Below is a pic of the wheel leg lowering mechanism before I glued it into place.
IMG_2011.JPG
I will start detail painting the 'pit detail soon.
IMG_2012.JPG
IMG_2013.JPG
Above I have sprayed some aluminium and when cured I will spray Vallejo Aotake Blue over the top which is a transparent blue. Not much will show though when buttoned up.

P

Polux

Looking very, very good Barry!
I really like your work there ;)

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Gorgeously beatiful detail!!:cool::cool::cool:

Take your time, you can never rush perfection!!:smiling3:

P

Polux

This office is looking really cool Barry, keep the good work coming ;)

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice work,Barry,liking the look of it,;)

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have progressed the detail painting and 'pit fitted
IMG_2021.JPG IMG_2022.JPG

Aotake is the Vallejo colour from their IJN set. You lay down a silver metaliser then spray the Aotake over the top.
IMG_2024.JPG

The engine, I will be buttoning up the cowl so not much will be seen.
IMG_2025.JPG
The prop, some of the anti-glare blue-black need to be painted on the reverse of the blades.
IMG_2026.JPG

The I hit a problem unusual for a modern Tammy kit, fit issues. I remember getting the same with the first Zero build. I had a problem fitting the fuse to the wing getting a ridge between the two. I used wet black paint to try to see where the problem was but it was inconclusive. I ended up doing a lot of sanding, adzing, cutting and carving away, frequent test fits and more wet black paint.... here it is during the process...
IMG_2030.JPG IMG_2031.JPG

White at it the knife slipped and ended up dislodging the pedals, I had a tricky operation to get them stuck back into place. Thick superglue gel was used and after a lot of fiddling around got it into place.
IMG_2032.JPG
Not the best of pics, the angle was difficult specially getting it under the light. But as you can see it is in place, eventually.
IMG_2033.JPG
Anyway - still not resolved the fit of the fuse to wing but it is nearly there. Hopefully it will be sorted tonight.