Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero - Tamiya 1/32 scale

S

steve scan

Look forward to see.e this one done, was at pearl a few days ago and had the urge to build a few of the Japanese aircraft involved.

P

Polux

Excellent work Barry. Looking really good so far!

Good luck with the wings. :eek:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well I got a satisfactory result last night getting the fuse and wing attached. Just a little Mr Dissolved Putty and it will be a perfect join...
IMG_2034.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good so far Barry. Good work on the unexpected wing join.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This may be my last update for a little while as I am flying off to Zurich early Saturday.

I have fitted the engine panels, a perfect fit.
IMG_2035.JPG

IMG_2036.JPG

I have also painted some of the fittings, including the undercart ready to decal and finish weathering.
IMG_2037.JPG

The windscreen and rear section of glass are masked and fitted. For some reason I have already primed them...a perfect faultless fit
IMG_2039.JPG
The gun surrounds have just been pushed in place for now, perfect. They wont need any glue to hold them.

I will be doing a bit of a clean up to get rid of finger grease, sanding rubble etc, then some masking before applying a Stynylrez primer. I probably wont have time to get that done before I go away.

Attachments

• IMG_2040.JPG
    IMG_2040.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 6

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well, after a week of excessive drinking and eating up the Rhine on this 1:1 model
IMG_2228.JPG
I am back....
Last night I primed the 1/32 model using Stynylrez black primer as I use the 'black basing' method. It has revealed a few very minor flaws to deal with which should be done tonight ready to apply a base coat.
IMG_2267.JPG
IMG_2268.JPG
I love the silky smooth finish with all that beautiful detail brought out....

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very good progress Barry, this is sure to be a stunner.
Cjheers
Paul

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have applied the base camo coat in my usual three stage method to get a well modulated appearance. I used AKI Air Series IJN colours, Amber Grey plus, for the cowl, anti-glare Blue Black which was applied as a solid colour. I will add interest to the latter while weathering.

I hope that the photos illustrate the modulation effects - I am pleased with how it looks.
IMG_2272.JPG
IMG_2273.JPG
I also decalled and partially weathered the undercart and prop.
IMG_2275.JPG
next I will be masking and painting the light blue unit markings.
It is my intention to paint most of the markings and use the minimum amount of decals.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have been removing some of the masking that is not needed any more and then masked up with Tammy tape and Maketar masks to paint the light blue unit markings.
IMG_2276.JPG
Once sprayed and masks removed, almost no touching up needed.
IMG_2277.JPG
Tonight I will do the red Hinomaru and other red markings using Maketar masks.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Managed to get an hour or so immediately after work and have now painted on the last of the main markings.
IMG_2278.JPG

IMG_2279.JPG

IMG_2280.JPG

IMG_2281.JPG

Detail painting to do the some decals and a sealing gloss coat. Because of the sheen on the AK paint I am not doing a gloss before the decals.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This Zero is looking very, very good Barry. Really looking forward to building mine now!

Cheers
P

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

liking this a lot mate. I have the Tamiya 1/32 Spitfire Mk IXc in the stash with eduard PE. I hope it builds up as well as this does when I do it!
Cheers, John

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Just caught up with this Barry.
Really impressive i deed ( nice touches )

Regards

Robert