Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero - Tamiya 1/32 scale

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I completed the detail painting, here is an overview.
IMG_2282.JPG
I have just a few decals to apply. I find decalling the most tricky part of the build, using masks and paiting the main markings is so much easier.
It is the thin decal lines I find most difficult, specially when there is a L shape. Anyway, I got there!!
IMG_2283.JPG
decal solution left some marks that you can see in the pic but they disappeared after a wipe with a damp tissue.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
It's a real beauty!!
The colour looks superb!!!
These AKI Air Series IJN paints are very good and I recommend them to anyone building IJN aircraft. The only colour missing is Aotake and Vallejo have released that in their IJN set. Their Amber Grey is also very good, and very close to the AKI interpretation.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful work Barry , the black basing method really gives a great modulation effect . keep the updates coming , cheers tony

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
after applying the final matt coat I left the Model in our airing cupboard to enable the varnish to cure over night. The humidity has been a problem with this build not enabling the water based paint to cure properly. Henceforth out airing cupboard is renamed the curing cupboard but don't tell the missus.

I the applied the final weathering. It is important to give the Model depth by making sure you get different sheen such as where there have been oil spills and where some fresh metal shown through the paint.

These are the weathering materials used
IMG_2291.JPG
And
IMG_2297.JPG
A few shots as I progressed.
IMG_2292.JPG
IMG_2293.JPG
IMG_2294.JPG
IMG_2296.JPG
Then to final fittings. The wheel legs screw into the wing position where the gun covers are.
IMG_2298.JPG
IMG_2300.JPG
The prop pushed into place.
IMG_2302.JPG
Then the final touch the aerial.
Tamiya provide one from wire. It glued nicely into position on the tail.
IMG_2305.JPG
IMG_2307.JPG
But trying to get it tight to the notch in the mast was beyond my abilities. So I removed it and reverted to my trusty EZ Line.
IMG_2309.JPG
All in all a most enjoyable build. I will post some complete pics in that forum.