Mittches 200mm R N Midshipman

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

IMG_2798-e1455038048562.jpg

My next figure will be this 200mm bust by Moz Corry for Mitches Military Models, representing a Royal Navy Midshipman c.1800. The figure is armed for boarding with four pistols and a cutlass.

The kit consists of eleven parts, which I've cleaned up and partially constructed:

100_2910.JPG100_2911.JPG100_2912.JPG

The casting was reasonably OK on the larger parts, though there were some heavy mould lines to remove. However, the pistols and cutlass were all damaged and needed quite a lot of fiddly repair, which was a bit disappointing.

The face looks a bit old for the average midshipman of the time, so I'm going to try and keep him youthful looking and fresh-faced. Perhaps he's about the age of Lee Ingelby's character in 'Master and Commander' (actually a failed midshipman):

navy-wpeasants.jpgmidshipman-russell.jpg

(For reference only).

The second picture is more like the average.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Something different. I am sure you will do it proud. Mitches Models have some wonderful stuff but their quality control could perhaps be better - or their casting skills improved.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jim

I fancied something with a figure doing something - lots of animation here. Yes, quality control could be a bit better sometimes, but I suppose they are relatively inexpensive.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
This looks a fantastic piece.....I'd love to have him with his legs on.
Mitches have very good customer service.I'm sure they'll replace bits if damaged.
Jon.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jon - I thought you'd like this one. I've fixed all of the damage - small bits like the hammers missing on a couple of the pistols and the end of the cutlass guard broken off. Scrap plastic and resin to the rescue.

Hi Mick - Welcome aboard.

D

Deleted member 6559

In response to Jon's comments re legs, I had a dig and it seems that Mitches did do a full 200mm version of this figure:

s-l300.jpg

Unfortunately, it's no longer available.

Became a Grandad overnight, so not sure when the next update will be. Mother and baby are doing fine.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Congratulations Peter, that makes you the P Diddy Grandiddy doesn’t it?
Cheers
Tim

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning and congratulations to you all

Time for painting between visits over the next days/weeks/months/years, it never stops, so I am told!

Being a Grand parent is apparently about spoiling them to death, pumping them full of sugar and leaving soon afterwards.

Seems like a plan.

Looks like an interesting figure, when you get started, though the full sized one does seem somewhat precarious.

One slip and he could be, well, singing soprano, if he's not careful.

Have a good day and enjoy your grand baby

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Jim - Grandiddy, I like that!

Steve - My wife is over in Lewes with my daughter and newborn, I'm holding the fort with son and dog. Dying to see the new addition to the family, but will let the fuss subside a bit. My daughter is still in hospital anyway (emergency caesarean).

May get some painting done today....

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter

Congratulations. Best job in the world being grandpa. Nice choice of bust also.

John

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Congrats GranDayddy or Grandiddy...

Cheers,
Richard

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
More congratulations from me.
i reckon you've got about 3 months to get all your painting done before becoming a full time baby-sitter.
Jon.

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers chaps!

I'm told my services may be called on - expert nappy changer.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Jon, it's Peter you're talking about...let's see two figures a week times 3months roughly twenty four give or take two. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Congratulations Grandad Day.Least you are a young Grandad.Glad to hear Mother and baby are fine.Plenty of babysitting to come mate.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard F - Stanley Spencer used to paint with a brush in one hand and a baBy in the other. I could give it a go....

Richard P - Still not used to the idea, but delighted of course.

Ye head:

100_2914.JPG100_2915.JPG100_2916.JPG

This face has the typical Moz Corry features of pronounced cheek bones and deeply engraves jowls. - as I said above, I think he looks a bit old for the average midshipman, so I've tried to give him youthful colouring and have dispensed with my usual five o'clock shadow. He'll do.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter .
Congratulations.
Glad to read they are both well, esp after having an emergency caesarean.
Your lives will be changed, I can recommend it, with 5 it can be all go but so much pleasure.
Will take my normal seat and raises a glass to them.

John.

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks John - can't get used to being a Grandiddy.

The whites:

100_2917.JPG

I've now done the white of the waistcoat and breeches. The cravat and belts are just blocked in at the moment, though they will be highlighted black eventually