Mixing Scales?

T

TheCaterpillar

Hi I'm new here! I have a quick question.

Let's say I have an entire basement to build a diorama in...

I currently have a 1:350 nimitz carrier, largest I could find... I would like to get another one and perhaps some other ships as well and make a diorama of a shipyard with part of a city and the rail connections. Perhaps even some countryside... I've quite a lot of room haha, some extra money and some time.

What I'd like to know is which scales fit together perfectly? Between Boats, Planes, Buildings, Train sets, Cars and Trucks, Industrial Vehicles, Military vehicles and little tiny people? If any? Or will I have to scratchbuild mostly everything? If I can get stuff that is the same dimensions as the 1:350 nimitz that would be ideal, even then I think from reading about someone elses build on that ship I'm going to have to extend the hull and such to get proper dimensions on it.

Anyway any tips or help would be much appreciated! =D

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Ideally if you use 1/350 you have to use that scale for everything , you can get quite a few ship and figures in that scale I don't know about cars buildings as such so you would probably have to scratch build them

D

Deleted member 3568

Hi with mixing scales and the room you have it don't think there will be a problem I had a 1/350 Warspite and mixed it with 1/144 and 1/72 in hardly any space. Oh and welcome to the friendliest forum on the net.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
You can get carrier figures in 1/350 and a aircraft set. You could mix with 1/285 and 1/300 for certain items.

Si:smiling3:

T

TheCaterpillar

Hmm okay thanks for the answers. I think I'll end up being all OCD over the proper dimensions, so it looks like I'll be scratch building :P .

Why is there no company that has created a homogenized scale for all categories?

Perhaps there is a business idea here :P . Anyone have any good resources on getting your own plastic injection moulding up and running for plastic models haha?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
1/350 is popular for maritime and for sci-fi. Not much call for that small, although wargaming does a lot in 1/300

T

TheCaterpillar

I just want to simulate fully functioning industry and manufacturing along with some city bustle and some other stuff. And want it all to be proportional.

If Open Transport Tycoon had the ability to ship materials to build ships and stuff at shipyards I could do it there. Alas it seems not everything can be simulated on a computer.... Wouldn't be as fun as building the whole thing in real life either haha

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Maybe a bit small, but there's loads of stuff available in 1/700 - including dockyard equipment and buildings, vehicles and 'planes. Here's a couple I found after just a quick search:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterline-1-700-harbour-set-unmade-and-bag-sealed-/331595110085?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d349bd6c5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterline-1-700-tugger-set-in-new-condition-/331595107015?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d349bcac7

I reckon there are more ships in 1/700 scale than in any other so you'd really be spoiled for choice.

D

Deleted member 3568

I think the further away from your city you get the bigger things would be (assuming a fixed perspective ) so you will need different scales you just need to decide your scale, are you going for double the scale over 2 feet 3 feet or 4 feet, once you've decided that you can decide on scales, for instance 1/400 2 feet away 1/200 2more feet away 1/100 , you just need to keep it consistent to be believable.

T

TheCaterpillar

Hmm I don't want a fixed perspective, but a dynamic one.

This first project I want to do modern, with what we have now.

The next project I want to scratchbuild my idea of the future haha. So no fixed perspective. My biggest problem is matching a Train Scale with a 1:350 trumpeteer Nimitz.. For the first project. Should I go with that new T scale or something bigger (for the train scales that is)?

T

TheCaterpillar

Thanks for the links Gern =D I do need something like that for a ship yard, Though will 1:700 work with 1:350? I want absolute symmetry and proportion

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Depends on how far away you are and which is nearest to you, but you'd need a serious distance for these two to be close.

D

Deleted member 3568

How about you draw a circle of say 3 feet and everything in that circle is 1/350 then you draw a second circle at 6 feet and everything within the 3 to 6 feet mark is 1/ 175 I dont know how much room you've got, you say room is not a problem, you could continues this ad infinitum ( although I think to make it realistic as you went up in scale you would have to increase the distances between the circles) that would give you a dynamic perspective.