Model Ship collection-Diecast miniatures from Yesteryear.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
MODEL SHIP COLLECTION.

Diecast model ships by Dinky Toy,Wiking,Bassett Lowke and other un-identified makes which could be recognition models.

I need your help here,having just placed my diecast model ship collection on display I need to catalogue them,so calling all ship enthusiasts,what can you spot here that is not on my list below ?

50F & 50G Destroyers Dinky Toy.

50B HMS Nelson Dinky Toy.

50A HMS Hood ( damaged ) Dinky Toy.

50D HMS York ( remains ) Dinky Toy.

Dinky Toy HMS Cardiff.

50G & 50K Dinky Toy Submarines.

50E HMS Delhi Dinky Toy.

Dinky Cunard White Star Queen Mary.

Cie Transatlantique Normandie,Dinky Toy France.

Dinky Empress of Britain.

Dinky Queen of Bermuda.

Destroyer marked 'Cardiff'

HMS Nelson Dinky Toy.

The models are original and no paintwork has been touched up prefering to keep them in their aged state,they have real charm of days gone by.

If some just resemble a certain destroyer or ship then just place a guess as to what you think it could be ? thank you it is the only way that I m going to get them identified.

125fe1bf0.jpg

1262e3b50.jpg

1264e3c80.jpg

1266e4f50.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

Barry, I hate to have to say it and it depends on how desperate you are to complete this, but it is very difficult to seperate the individual ships from such a group.

So would an individual shot of each one be possible?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
***Yes I could do that over a period of time,perhaps a side view and a top view as well,this would be ideal for a record anyway,good idea,will start it when I have a minute,thanks Richard,this should test your recognition skills.

Some of the models are official wartime admiralty recognition models made by Basset Lowke the famous locomotive manufacturers.

Barry, I hate to have to say it and it depends on how desperate you are to complete this, but it is very difficult to seperate the individual ships from such a group. So would an individual shot of each one be possible?

N

Nigel.D

Barry i have to agree with richard!! Apart from the cruise ships and the rodney everythin else blends in

R

rjwood_uk

how on earth do you have room to store/display all them??

B

Bunkerbarge

Most of the models are not actually very big. If I remember correctly I think the Basset Lowke models are 1/1200 th scale so a lot of them are only six inches long or so.

I think a side elevation and a plan shot would be a superb record for the fleet and would be a great enhancement for the collection.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
You are quite right Richard,very small models,if aeroplanes were as easy to display then there would not be any problems,I will prepare the pictures soon for you to view them in detail.

The models have been stored for years in a shirt box,it just seemed a great pity to have them hidden away and they make for a very attractive display piece,and a piece of history as well.

N

Nigel.D

Barry Just a thought How many models do you have ? and how on earth do you get them past Irene? or do you work that magic prose on her too?

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The quick answer to that one Nigel is-'Love me,love my models' !!

A

AerynPk

Barry well doen but you must of lost a lot of space doing all them.

B

Bunkerbarge

barry there was a photo of a ship here yesterday what happened to it?

I was having trouble identifying it anyway so take your time!!

R

rjwood_uk

"love me- love my models"

that is brilliant Barry, i will deffinatly remember that!

...im sure it will come into use sometime in the future.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
***Char,there are always model on my workbench,either being made up,being modified,being re-painted,being improved or just there to look at,each model goes into a plastic seal top bag,then a puff of air fills the bag and makes its own cushion,they then rest one on top of the other in curver boxes,I tend to rotate them if I have a shelf display.

Older models can be cleaned in a weak solution of baby shampoo to remove the dust,then dry them out properly before placing in the 'Self seal blow bag' otherwise the slightest trace of moisture will be trapped and cloud the bag.

Over the years I have tried all sorts of ways of storage,on end in polystyrene cut supports for the big aircraft subjects etc,some are in card boxes, if you have a supply of these just make sure that the undercarriage is proud of the base of the box,blocks of polystyrene are ideal,drive T-Pins at 45 degrees,then use small humble elastic bands to support the model.

Barry well doen but you must of lost a lot of space doing all them.