Model T Ford

S

Stevekir

Revell's Model T Ford of 1912, 1/16 scale. Please see the build report at Civilian Vehicles Under Construction > Civilian Cars Under Construction > Model T Ford.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

The original was introduced in 1908 with several colours offered until 1912 when Henry Ford offered only black until the last few years before the vehicle's withdrawal in 1927. Blue is my favourite colour so blue it is. I scratch built the wooden slats in front of the rear passenger's seat.

To modern eyes it is difficult to take it seriously as a mode of travel, but those were early days and by this time the basics of modern cars had been established: engine at the front; a steering wheel rather than a tiller; a windscreen (a recent invention); four wheels and some passenger carrying ability although no significant goods delivery facility. Despite the windscreen, bad weather would have made a journey uncomfortably wet and cold, especially for the unfortunate rear passenger! The kit metalwork has a golden colour rather than chrome. I don't know how true that is. Google has many images of various model T Ford (search on that phrase).

A puzzle remains: the model has the steering wheel on the right which is correct for a road system where cars are driven on the left of the road. The site: https://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/trivia-about-driving-left/ discusses this referring to the USA around 1900. But nevertheless, the fact remains that the Revell model has the driver seated on the right with the spare wheel and a mysterious golden object both also on the right, preventing the right hand door from opening! The driver must have entered the vehicle by the left door and shufflerd across to the right.

Image 05 (a difficult closeup shot) shows the two dials, handbrake (with its spherical knob) and (partly obscured) the three pedals.

The kit makes a very handsome model on the shelf.

NOTE: The last image did not upload properly. Please see "Model Ford T Again" uploaded just after this thread

Attachments

• 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator: