Monogram 1/48 Hawker Typhoon

First Name
Dave
Just finished building a Typhoon which i've had in my stash for nearly 20 years. Its a very old kit (1968 molded on the lower wing half) with raised detail.I decided to sand most of this off and rescribe it.Not because i think its more accurate,but because i prefer the look of engraved lines to raised ones.The only extras i used were a Reheat seat belt set and an Aeromaster decal sheet.The model is finished as a Typhoon 1B of No.198 Squadron during operations against German armoured columns in the battle of the Falaise Gap,mid August 1944.It carries black and white ID stripes on the underside of the wings.These were so British gunners could distinguish between the Typhoon and the FW190.I tried a few firsts for me on this kit.I used acrylic paints for the first time.Mister colour paints that i bought at a model show in Ipswich last year.I also put two coats of Johnsons Klear on before decal application. Theres a bit of silvering on some of the fuselage letters that i wouldnt have got if i'd used my usual gloss varnish.After applying Florymodels dark wash i finished the model with a coat of Valejo matt clear.Very impressed with the Valejo product.it covered really well and none of the white patches you sometimes get with humbrol enamel matt clear.I also used a Spraymaster dual action airbrush that my wife got me for my birthday.It cost around 40 quid and is a brilliant tool .Much better than my Badger Anthem which cost nearly three times as much.

View attachment 27991View attachment 27993View attachment 27995View attachment 27994View attachment 27992

View attachment 33756

View attachment 33757

View attachment 33758

View attachment 33759

View attachment 33760

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautiful job ,dave . I really love it when someone gets a fantastic result from an older kit, it just proves that you dont have to spend a fortune on the latest kit to get a superb model.Some of the monogram kits can be really good cant they? ive just got the devastator at the cosford show and for its time its superb,and ive got the dornier 335 in the stash too and thats a cracker too.Like yourself ive found the vallejo matt to be the best for a truly matt finish. I usually thin it with distilled water and mist it on in a couple of coats. Top work mate , 5 stars from me , cheers tony

First Name
Dave
Thanks Tony.I used Valejo's thinner with the matt clear but will try distilled water as well.

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
hi there dave ....... great looking model .... i am also busy building a rather older hasegawa kit (me109 1/32) and finding it quite challenging ....hopefully it turns out as well as your typhoon did ...... good job ....I also have the issue of raised panel lines but am leaving them as they are although i do prefer the engraved ones. Sanding them out and rescribing them sounds like quite a mission .... what techniques / tools do u use for this? Rgds Lindsey

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Dave
Im no expert at rescribing and if you look closely at my model you will see a few mistakes.What i do is scribe along side the raised detail by holding a six inch steal ruler next to the raised line and using a Tamiya scribing tool make several light strokes along the edge of the ruler.When im happy withe the depth of all the lines ive scribed i then sand off the raised detail and wash the model with washing up liquid solution.I dont remove all raised detail as some of it is supposed to be there.but things like spanwise raised lines on wings just wouldnt be there on the real aircraft as they'd screw up the airflow over the wing.For curved surfaces ive got some thin strips of brass sheet which i bend and hold in place with tape.

T

treyzx10r

Great looking Typhoon Dave and hats off to you on the rescribe I dread that myself.

First Name
Dave
Thanks Trey.rescribing is not that dificult really.Like most aspects of modelling it just requires a bit of patience and a steady hand.And mistakes can always be filled and rescribed.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very fine job. many of these older kits build up into nice models with a bit of effort and a good dollop of patience. Here's the proof!

For scribing of curved surfaces I use Dymo tape. It will stick to anything but an acute curve and gives a good edge to guide your tool of choice. I use a scribe from Bare Metal Foil.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
Thanks Steve.I've heard of people using dymo tape but keep forgetting to by some when im in town!.I've seen those Bare metal foil scribing tools advertised in modelling mags.Something else i need to get as my Tamiya tool won't get right into tight spots.

First Name
Mike
Very nice work Dave. I built that kit back in the 70s and it didn't look anything like yours, perhaps because I finished it with Dulux paints Yours looks lovely - seam work is great and the re-scribing really enhances it.

First Name
Dave
Thanks to everyone for their kind words.I've found my models are improving since i joined this forum.Still not up to the standard sent by some members but definately improving.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Dave

Very nice work. The rescribing really makes a difference. The scheme is interesting too with the leaping tiger!

All the best

Paul

73north

great model - the Monogram Typhoon has the 2 added advantages

(1) that you get the 4 bladed prop as standard

( only 2 Hasegawa special issues were given given the 4 bladed propellor ) -

for my Hasegawa Typhoon I used the Ultracast 4 Bladed Prop

(2) there are no fuselage inserts to deal with the Monogram ( versus the Hasegawa Typhoon )

I also used the Ultracast Exhausts , Radiator and Pilot's Seat

I also used the Monogram Wheels and sold the Hasegawa Wheels on ebay ( they were flattened )

if anyone wants to see the Model

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal10/9701-9800/gal9756-Typhoon-Walker/00.shtm

Last edited: