Monogram P61 Black Widow 1/48 scale

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Heres the old Monogram P61 Black Widow , an oldie but goodie ( amazingly the tooling dates back to 1974!!).I picked this up for £5 at Cosford a few years ago minus box . The decals were shot but I wanted to do a particular airframe anyway so i got aftermarket ones. The kit is fantastically detailed with all sorts of open panels etc (which i didnt bother with as I like to see a fairly clean airframe ) but has a couple of minor inaccuracies , namely the tyres and engine cowl flaps. The kit was based on the prototype xp61 which had smooth tyres , all the production aircraft had treaded ones , and the p61B had automatic cowl flaps which means the kit ones with one engine closed and the other open is wrong. to sort this I used aftermarket wheels and cut the cowl flaps off and refixed them open on the closed engine. the other additions were eduard belts , resin guns and a few scratchbuilt details (landing lights ,exhausts, aerials etc.)

I used the raised panel lines to my advantage by undercoating the whole thing in silver then giving it a coat of hairspray before spraying the black . this made chipping easier and also meant i could carefully rub off the black on the panel lines to reveal the silver ,the flaking of paint along panel joints being a characteristic of most p 61's. Anyways heres the model , a P61B 'Little Audrey' based at RAF Scorton ,North Yorkshire june 1944. The unit training here before being sent to France later in the year.
as always comments ,criticisms ,observations welcome , cheers tonyDSCN2379 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2381 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2377 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2384 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2385 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2387 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2388 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2393 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2394 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2395 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2396 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2398 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2399 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2403 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2408 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2410 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2411 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2423 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2424 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2433 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Very nice. You've nailed the weathering on the black airframe.
Cheers Rick , I didnt want to go too mad as although these aircraft did weather quite badly after a while , at this time in this airframes life it would still have been fairly new , cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I was going to say this is a little gem; but it's too big for that and 'big gem' doesn't sound right! It'll have to be a cracker!

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Another cracker to the collection Tony loving the scheme and Audrey looks at home on the nose.

B

BigZimmo

"Oldie but goldie...."!!! I'm a great fan of Monogram-Kits and your Black Widow is really a cracker, Tony!!!
All thumbs up!!!!

Cheers
Stefan:smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Terrific aircraft, me old mucker!

Top drawer build......

D

dubster72

That's really top drawer stuff there Tony! Black is such a hard colour to get looking right, but you've nailed it.
The weathering is just right & you've really shown off the detail.

It takes me back to building the same kit as a kid, when Monogram meant state of the art! As I recall, my booms weren't quite right...had to check the autocorrect there! :eek:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks everyone :smiling3: i forgot to mention the base is Eduard PSP Marston matting , bargain at about £6 !

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Very nice Tony. It ticks all the boxes for me. Great use of 'problematic' panel lines. But imagine flying the aircraft when all four guns fire, just above your head !

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I remember that kit from decades ago, a nice kit and yours has turned out beautifully Tony. I like how you used the raised panel lines.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Very nice Tony really looking great
I made this kit a few years back exact avd well it was a lovely kit ( not up to this standard of brilliance though.
100% Awesome

Regards

Robert

T

Trekkie_John

She's a beauty Tony, always like the looks of the Black Widow.

Have fun, John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks everyone , glad you like it , cheers tony:cool:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Though not a "plane guy" the BW was always one of my favorites, great work Tony;)............jim:smiling3: