Mr Color Aqueous

T

tecdes

Could some one give a run down on this stuff as its existence have not reached the distant balmy (perhaps barmy) shores of the Island of Jersey ?

What type ? What it does ? How good it is & comparison to other paints similar. How does it airbrush assuming it can be.

Laurie

A

andygh

My favourite acrylic for airbrushing, it goes on silier than a silky thing, not so great for brush painting IMHO though

I thin it 60% 40% with isoprpyl and it flows beautifully through the airbrush

It's similar to Tamiya but the pigment is much finer and the finish is therefore far superior, and you need fewer coats, there is also a greater range ofcolours I believe and I prefer the Gunze versions to Tamiya's

I use Tamiya, Vallejo, Lifecolor and Xtracrylic but Gunze is my preferred choice

I know you're a big Vallejo fan Laurie (so am I, even with their wild colour matches) but give one a try, you can only lose a couple of quid

T

tecdes

Will give it a go Andy. Sounds like a good product.

Thanks for your time & info.

Laurie

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I use Vallejo almost exclusively but their metallics have always been their weak spot, so I switched to the Gunze buffable metallics and they are great. I particularly enjoy drybrushing with them and find the effects are excellent.

A

andygh

Vallejo Model Air metallics are superb for brush painting though, figure painters swear by them

Not good for spraying though I agree and the Model Color metalics are horrible

T

tecdes

Recently airbrushed a Harrier engine with metallic Vallejo Model Air Gunmetal & Chrome Silver & got a superb finish.

Not sure if they are buffable as after 24 hours they were, as oogh found, still softish whereas normal colours are quite hard after 24 hours.

Another question are these Aqueous Gunze paints "smelly" ? I have a wife who is very averse to any smells I produce.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I have a wife who is very averse to any smells I produce.Laurie
Me too,but she doesn't mind the smell of paint :smiling3:

Steve

T

tecdes

Yes Steve I have to come clean & admit my wife has problems preferences on a varying scale.

She has a high smell preference for..................... Yes KLEAR on the floor.

Laurie

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Gunze do smell a bit but I have smelt worse.

T

tecdes

I read your reply Barry. Unfortunately with a mouth full of beer which is now deposited on my wall.

Laurie

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
:thumbsup:Laurie - well I hope it wipes clean!!!:cheers:

A

andygh

It's not a strong smell, very similar to Tamiya acrylic, personally i find it quite pleasant

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I do the same as Andy. I do have some of the Mr range of thinners as well though and use that sometimes, as I also find it useful in cleaning up Mr Surfacer.