Mr Color paint

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
A quick question please.
I know Tamiya is not a true acrylic but is the Mr Color paint the same slightly odd formula? Does Mr Color need thinning with something like the Tamiya X-20A or a lacquer thinner? I ask because the call out paints on my Eduard Spitfire are for Mr Color which I have not used before. I like Tamiya for airbrushing but if the Mr C is the same I might as well buy some of that.
Thanks
Jim

First Name
Wouter
Hi Jim

Yes, more or less: they can be mixed and thinned with the same products. Although I used (and still do from time to time) Lacquer Thinner to thin them down, I find that Mr. Hobby's own Levelling Thinner is even superior. Mr. C paints are equal to Tammi's. I find that they are even slightly better perhaps through the airbrush.

Cheers

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Cheers Wouter
I actually have some of their Leveling Thinner. Bought it sometime for something. I am the world's worst for forgetting what I have bought!!
Jim

First Name
Wouter
LOL, aren't we all. It works well with their Mr. Surfacer as well if you want to use that as primer.

Cheers

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Wouter and Tony
Yes Tony - it is now official :smiling:
One further question. Does it brush paint OK or is it like Tamiya in that respect as well - a bit awkward.
Jim

T

Tony Lee

Not being a brush painter but I do use a brush for detail painting I can't say,I use the Leveling thinner very often and love it

First Name
Wouter
Haven't tried it but I reckon it behaves the same as Tammi's. If you have Vallejo's or other acrylics, stick to them for detail painting. Personally I only use the Mr. Color paints for airbrush painting.

Cheers

First Name
Marcello
I have tried for small details and id didn't like it. I stick with Vallejo as suggested by Wouter

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Cheers. I have ordered the Mr Color paint sets I need from SM shop. I will stick to Vallejo for detail painting.
Jim

First Name
Ross
Hi Jim

Good choice mate, I use Mr Color for all my planes and for pretty much the same reason you are buying yours, Eduard use them. I use the Mr Color thinner but I have heard you can use the Tamiya thinner with them as well but I've never tried it. I also understand Ultimate thinner works with them as well and while I have picked up some of that, I haven't tried it as yet.

cheers
Ross

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Mr Colour and their levelling thinner sprays like liquid silk. No tip drying and easy clean up. Needs a booth and mask though, I think it’s lacquer based. Agree ref VJ for details.....
Cheers
Tim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Another thing to note Jim, if your Mr Color has hardened in the bottle, just add an equal amount of lacquer thinner, then wait half an hour and its resuscitated. It's the only paint I know that lasts till the last drop.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Worthwhile knowing that Richard. As it is an acrylic paint in a lacquer thinner carrier I have thrown them out before thinking it was irretrievably set when that happens.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Worthwhile knowing that Richard. As it is an acrylic paint in a lacquer thinner carrier I have thrown them out before thinking it was irretrievably set when that happens.

Tim, it's also the only paint I dare pour back into the bottle after mixing too much with Mr Color thinner. Other paints react after contact with a mixed batch even if I use original thinners especially enamels. They tend to develop a surface skin.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks for that Richard. Like Tim I would have thrown it out
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
if your Mr Color has hardened in the bottle, just add an equal amount of lacquer thinner, then wait half an hour and its resuscitated. It's the only paint I know that lasts till the last drop.
Much the same trick works for Games Workshop and Revell acrylics (and probably others) if they’ve become a thick lump that you can poke holes into with a stick but which you can’t stir or paint with anymore: add some isopropanol (Tamiya X20a thinner is basically this, and most windscreen wiper fluid is too) and begin to stir. It’ll eventually become usable again if you keep up the stirring and adding amounts of isopropanol every so often.