Mr Hobby Sol Neo masking fluid

A

Awins

I have recently used this and on removal it has left light marks on the paint that it was protecting.
I've tried lightly washing with a sponge and water but it has made no difference.
Any ideas as to why this has happened and how I can correct this without a respray.
The masking fluid was only on the painted surface for about an hour or so.
Cheers Alan

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I sometimes get this with microsol/set and it seeems to vanish with a coat of varnish.

I think in my case it is a perceived colour change due to a change in the surface reflectivity rather than an actual change in colour.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Alan - what was the type of paint you used it on? Had it fully cured if water based?

I use this frequently and have had no problems though sometimes I spend a while with fine tweezers picking it out of detail!!

A

Awins

Alan - what was the type of paint you used it on? Had it fully cured if water based?

I use this frequently and have had no problems though sometimes I spend a while with fine tweezers picking it out of detail!!
Barry it was Tamiya acrylic and the paint had been layed down for about two days prior to applying the Neo Sol.
In the past I used Humbrol Maskol and didnt experience any problems.
I know what you mean about removing it with tweezers it does seem to stick well once cured.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thats one theory out of the door then Alan...
I will take a look tonight and have a play.

First Name
colin
Hi Alan I had the same problem with neo Sol and I was told it wasn't marking the paint it was in fact small bits of masking fluid left on the surface.
I used white tack to remove and it looked OK
Hopefully your having the same problem and this cures it

A

Awins

Hi Alan I had the same problem with neo Sol and I was told it wasn't marking the paint it was in fact small bits of masking fluid left on the surface.
I used white tack to remove and it looked OK
Hopefully your having the same problem and this cures it
I will give it a try later when home from work. I'm not to optimistic though as I have already tried cleaning it gently wish a small wet sponge with a hint of washing up liquid.

A

Awins

Tried blu tak to remove this but it made no difference. I ended up having to respray.