Mr Surfacer

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have purchased some Mr Surfacer 1000 and thinner. I believe it can be thinned and sprayed. Can someone advice as to the thinning ratio and best pressure to spray at.
Ta
Scottie

O

OneSmallStep1966

I thin Mr. Surfacer 1200 50:50 with Mr. Color levelling thinner and spray at about 20-23psi. It gives a beautifully smooth priming coat.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi Scottie, I used it only once before and thinned it 50/50 and sprayed at 30psi.
Although that pressure was a bit too high, I think Norman has the right set-up.:thumb2:
The priming coat is nice and smooth indeed, works great on etch too.:smiling:

Fernando

First Name
Wouter
Hi mate, as the guys say. Thin it at least 50/50 but personally I'd go for even more thinner/primer ratio. Like 60/40. Mr. Surfacer 1000 is good but if you really want a good one to spray next time, buy the Mr. Surfacer 1500 (it comes in grey or black). It's even thinner.

Cheers

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi mate, as the guys say. Thin it at least 50/50 but personally I'd go for even more thinner/primer ratio. Like 60/40. Mr. Surfacer 1000 is good but if you really want a good one to spray next time, buy the Mr. Surfacer 1500 (it comes in grey or black). It's even thinner.

Cheers
Thanks Wouter I will try the 1500 next time

S

Stevekir

I have read that a primer spray sold as such adheres more strongly than other sprays.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Steve,
Yes I heard this as well so that is why I thought I would give it a try there is a lot of etch on my latest build. Normally I don't use a primer and just spray the top coat.

First Name
Wouter
If it's for etch or metal barrels I can recommend Mr. Metal Primer (also from Gunze Sangyo). You can't spray it but it really works well on metal parts, even better than Mr. Surfacer :D

Cheers

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
If it's for etch or metal barrels I can recommend Mr. Metal Primer (also from Gunze Sangyo). You can't spray it but it really works well on metal parts, even better than Mr. Surfacer :D

Cheers
Thanks mate

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just a tip from an old F*rt,
If you are just using it as a primer base all is good as previously described, As an added special affect I use the 500 and 1000 depending
on how smooth of a surface I want to achieve. This applies to a cast armor surface re: the gun mantlet or front armor plate of a Jagdtiger.
See my post in completed armor for an example of this application. Just brush it on then stipple the heck out of it with a stiff brush until it starts to stand up. Let it dry then knock it down with a fine grit paper.
Rick H.