My evil plan begins...

M

Major Catastrophe

my evil master plan has begun to take shape...

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271676301857

It's a H.M.S. York Type 42 Destroyer Batch 3 Dragon #7055 in 1/700 scale.

I had the pleasure of serving on HMS Manchester between 1994 & 1996, it was easily the best ship I've ever served on and I have some very fond memories. Hopefully I can do her justice.

One memory I have of her is a standing start 'race' with the new Sheffield (type 22) when we were deployed to the Persian Gulf together. There was much hype as the Sheff was then newer and boasted of its speed. I'm no propulsion expert, but we must have cheated in some way because we literally 'dropped a cog' and left the Sheffield standing! It felt like the Manch was fully wound up just before the start, maybe changing pitch on propeller or something to give an almighty kick. Any propulsion experts on here?

The other ships I've served on were HMS Birmingham (briefly) HMS Ark Royal, HMS Illustrious, HMS Fearless and a two month stint on HMS Ocean (how was I to know my naval career would have such an adverse affect on my model-making wallet?)

I'm planning to log my experience in a work in progress post

L

Laurie

Liked to have been on board the Manchester during the speed trial Rich. Must have been exciting.

Do they have a standing start or sail side by side at slow speed neck and neck until the start point ?

Look forward to seeing your stuff. Sailor ;)

Laurie

PS what position did you have in your last ship ?

M

Major Catastrophe

I was part of the Flight Deck crew on the Ark Royal, Air Operations on the Illustrious and Aircraft Controller for the Manchester, Fearless & Ocean.

It was a dead in the water standing start. Mind you, it wasn't the first time we massaged the rules to win; I remember a long range surface search exercise with the Liverpool, first to find the other won. As soon as the exercise started I cheekily asked via the global messaging system (forerunner of Internet) for their position, course and speed... Which they stupidly gave me. I instructed our helicopter that they might like to start their search in that area and bingo, we found the Liverpool in record time! Don't tell anyone though ;)

M

Major Catastrophe

Haha Lee! I've served on Fearless, I know all about smelly steam boats! I also spent a nice 6 months on RFA Olmeda, another steam boat - and I have scars on my liver to prove it! I do have a penchant for Leanders, lovely looking ships, might just have to throw one of those together too... The list grows :sad:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Sounds like you had a very interesting and diverse naval career Rich. Will look forward to HMS Manchester being built in the near future :smiling3:

M

Major Catastrophe

Quick question about fitting PE railings, can anyone provide a close up photo of the suggested method of attachment? Are they flush with ships side, inwards slightly and free-standing or fitted into the slight gap made by attaching upper deck to ships sides?

G

Graham D

What I do is to use think cyno or white glue to 'tack' the railings on, then run some thin cyno or thinned white glue. I try and get mine as close to the edge as possible.