Ian
Pre-shade with black after primer.

Nice little build there Ian!

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You need a dark colour to pre shade or you will lose it altogether. Most people simply use black.

There was "school" that preshaded using a much darker shade of the top colour but it seems to have fallen out of fashion now. That's sometimes a sign that either it didn't work or was too tricky for we mere mortals to master.

Cheers

Steve

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ian

That 1/72 Tomcat looks excellent so far.

You'll never be able to properly sand those soft vinyl figures you'll have to carefully remove any flash with a scalpel. If the plan is to try and alter them then I think you'll have your work cut out. You may have to just trim with a scalpel and paint as best you can.

Looking good so far, keep up the great work.

Paul

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi all camera battery just gone flat on me was going to post latest pictures but got a question ? micro set when applying do you let it dry then apply decal or put the decal on when wet sorry if its a daft question many thanks Ian

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Hi all camera battery just gone flat on me was going to post latest pictures but got a question ? micro set when applying do you let it dry then apply decal or put the decal on when wet sorry if its a daft question many thanks Ian
I paint a bit on were the decal should go and lay the decal over it still wet. Works fine for me. As to its the correct way, that's another thing all together! lol.

Once the decal is down and I am happy with it I then give it a go with Mircosol. Again I dont always wait for the decal to be dried first. The most important thing is not to play with it while wet with microsol as the result is a rather messed up decal. :sad:

Ian M

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's a very nice little build there Ian!

With all the extra bits and bobs to add details to cockpits, engines, inspection and undercarriage bays etc. you can get nowadays, it's rare to see an airplane all buttoned up, so that makes it a bit better still! Problem is of course, you look more closely as it's a bit unusual - and then the fact there's no pilot jumps out at you!

We've talked about this before on the forum, but it's really annoying how so few airplane kits have pilot figures supplied. It's also annoying that there are so few available as aftermarket kits. There are plenty you can get showing them walking around and generally posing for photos, but very few actually sitting in the office doing their job! I wonder if the manufacturers have done some sort of deal between themselves. "We'll make the airplane with no pilot so people will buy your aftermarket bits if you'll let us in on a percentage of your profits!"

I'm not trying to take away any credit that's due for a smashing build! If there ain't no pilot, there ain't no pilot and there's not much you can do about it. I'm looking forward to seeing how you get this posed against your carrier deck.

Gern

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
No thats a fare comment Gern the lack of pilot figures in plane kits is so infuriating its like having a car model without a steering wheel

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
One of lifes frustrations that. The ironic part is that I often have a kit that has a pilot that I don't use so I put them in a box and use them for the kits that I actually want a pilot in. More often than not these are the kits that don't come with one. I confess to using a pilot to hide a poor cock pit most of the time. The Few times I have wanted a pilot is because the kit is posed in flight.

This still does not distract from the fact that you have built a great 'plane and I am sure looking forwards to seeing the finished subject.

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Ian great looking job ,I agree they should have the figures in the kit.

N

noble

Nice build there ian and i do love the simpsons flight deck lol.

scott