My layout in the making

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
In easy terms instead of controlling the power to the track to move the loco in DC,in DCC you control the loco as the track power stays the same voltage and enables you to have more than one loco on the same track at the same time.

In a way it's just like a Radio controlled model but with DCC the signal travels through the track to the loco to get it to move.

More info can be found here: http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?autocom=custom&page=DCC-FAQ#1.1

I'm getting the mixed goods set to see what DCC is like and if i like it i will upgrade to some alittle better sometime next year.

B

Bunkerbarge

That makes sense, clever stuff. So can you have different loco's going at different speeds on the same track?

It has come a long way since I last played with a railway layout!!

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
I think only if they are far apart from each other so you don't have one whacking the back end of the other one,but i think i would have them at the same speed on the same track to be safe.

D

duncan

I`m waiting to see the scenic work. What kind of countryside features ? The walls of the loft , are they going to be painted sky and fields etc ? I ask as I have spotted some photo-realistic backgrounds on ebay with Cotswold scenery, rolling hills,fields, hedges and an electricity power station. 10 feet lengths for OO guage. Not town scenes though. Seems like a good idea to save painting.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
One side will have the back scene with hills and farm land as it will be the countryside and the station side will have a town back scene.

Over the last few days i have been thinking whether or not to have my layout controlled by DCC for the second time as i will be buying the Hornby DCC mixed Goods set to try and if i liked it i would have my layout DCC but i have decided that the layout will be DCC next year,so the layout will be wired for DCC but not completely as i still want to run my layout under DC control till i can afford the DCC gear next year.

So all tracks will be wired but not connected to the DCC bus wire that way i can still use my DC controllers till i get my DCC gear,also i have made some changes to the track plan in two areas one is to one of the Fiddle yard entrances and the other is the second incline.

As you can see from this pic only one main line connects to the incline and the other is from the fiddle which isn't good really.

Beforebeingaltered.jpg

So the changes i have made is that both main lines now connect to the incline and the fiddle yard just connects to the main line.

Alteredtrackstofiddleyard.png

And the incline i was never happy with as i wanted two lines but i took the extra space for a extra track line in the fiddle yard,so i have moved the incline onto the hinged board so i can have two lines to join to the lower main lines,and moved the start on the incline from where the first one ends to the two main lines from the station and the incline will sit above part of the lower main lines as can been seen from the pic and i extended the hinged board to 1ft 6" wide.

Before

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/dynamite26/NEWUPDATEDTRACKPLAN.png

After

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/dynamite26/Alteredtracksforinclinetomainlines.png

So seeing that hattons are selling the DCC mixed Goods set like fire i will get mine after Christmas and i will buy the track needed for the changes,also i will add some more peco point motors to the order on Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
I won't be buying the Hornby DCC set now as a Lenz Set 100 will be bought in Feb.

Got my Goods that i order Friday night last week and comprises of:

1xHornby Class 52 'Western Invader'

2xR.614 Left-Hand Diamond Crossing

2xR.615 Right-Hand Diamond crossing

3xPL10 Point Motors

3xPL10E Extended Pin Point Motors

3xPL12 Adaptor Bases for PL10

1xPL9 5 Mounting Plates for PL10E

Copyof2006_12150002.jpg

So come Sunday i will beable to work on the layout as Saturday i'm off out to Chester for the day Christmas Shopping.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well work has restarted on the layout as i have finished the three crossings at the entrance to the Hidden sidings that join to the incline,and moved two upper supports to get another in so all are now 12 inches apart just need to fit a piece in the middle of them to stop any sagging that might accrue.

The hinged section has been bugging me for two months now as to how to hinge it but i have settled on hinging it to drop down than to hinge up,and i hope to start it tomorrow afternoon and get the boards fitted by Wednesday afternoon.

Also i will have a scenic board in front of the incline to break the layout up with a tunnel opening to make it more interesting so trains don't seem to just go in circles all the time,also my second incline will be made longer from 8ft to 16ft long and will come off the upper main lines further around the layout on the other side.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Here's some pics of the work i have done upto now on the layout.

First are of the crossing that joint the hidden siding to he mainlines and to the incline to the upper level.

Copyof2007_01150014.jpg

Copyof2007_01150010.jpg

These pics are of the mainlines that will go across the hinged section that will have the second incline to the upper level.

Copyof2007_01150013.jpg

Copyof2007_01150012.jpg

Copyof2007_01150011.jpg

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well i have manged to get off my backside and start the hinged section which i have got the bit that hinges to the main layout i just need to finish off the frame of that part and then i will move onto the other bit that hinges to that,and once that is done i will build the end section that joins to the main layout that will carry the mainlines to the hinged section but that section has to be removable so i can get to the end of the layout with having to crawl under under it.

Pics to follow and i will take photos as i build it.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Here are the photos as promised.

The first ones are of just the hinged bit without the rest of the framework.

Copyof2007_02260002.jpg

Copyof2007_02260003.jpg

Copyof2007_02260004.jpg

And these are with the rest of the framework attached.

Copyof2007_02260005.jpg

Copyof2007_02260006.jpg

Copyof2007_02260007.jpg

Copyof2007_02260008.jpg

I just need to make the second bit that will hinge off that for the incline and make the frame that goes at the other end to carry the tracks from the hinged section onto the main layout,and i hope to have all that done by the weekend and trains running on the mainline on the hinged section and the incline will be done when i start to lay track on the upper level.

Last edited by a moderator:

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
I have the end framework built now i just need to cut the boards to fit them then the mainlines can be laid down and pinned in place but waiting for a dry day to cut them,and once that is done then i can run trains properly around the layout and at the weekend i will make the last part of the hinged section for the incline and fit in place using more hinges.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Managed to get the boards cut this afternoon and fitted to the framework just need to trim the end board to fit the framework,then I can start laying the rest of the mainlines on the hinged section and get trains running again.

Photo's of the boards fitted.

2007_03070016.jpg

2007_03070017.jpg

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Not alot mate haven't done a thing for months but I will be working back on the layout next month as I need to get some bits and bobs to sort the hinged section out,and now I will be making the upper level hinge at the back so I can lift the hinged section and the upper level out the way to clean the track and fix any derailed loco or rolling stock if any happen.

As I decided that trying to reach between each level to do things isn't a good idea anymore with my back problem so I will sort that out to make it easier for me.

T

Task Force 57

Its going to be a rearly nice layout mate!

:strong: My last layout was a 6 year marathon in the making and 2 hours in the dismantling, when i had to take it down to make room for a fourth bedroom... ho hum!

Just keep working away at it when you can and when you feel like it... I pushed myself way to hard at first then had to back off for a year to regain my sanity! The Layout sounds like its moving forward at the right pace, keep as posted as to new developments :smiling3:

:bravo:

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Not posted for a while as I have not been feeling up to working on the layout but today I went up into the loft to sort a section of the layout out which is the section where the hinged section is,because over the last couple of months I have come to a decision that I won't be able to clean the tracks the way I was going to do with the hinged section above the upper level.

So now I have decided to have that section of the upper level hinge up aswell as the hinged section that attachés to it so I can lift the whole lot up to clean the tracks below and fix any train,all other sections will have cutouts where buildings will be so they can be lifted out to gain access to the lower tracks.

Here is a picture of that section with all the upper level supports removed ready for the new hinged upper level to go in which is 6ft long.

2007_07220001.jpg

2007_07220005.jpg

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
I have now fitted both MDF boards to the back piece but I need to remove them so I can recess the hinges so the boards are level and I was going to cut the second one today but it started to rain,so I fitted it to the layout but I might still cut it when I remove them but I will see and the other hinged section should be refitted back on the layout by Sunday.

I will post Pictures tomorrow and Sunday is the last day to work on the layout as Monday I am away for 4 days at my sisters in Norfolk as she is moving house and we are helping her,then two weeks after that I am on holiday for two weeks in Norfolk as my parents wanted to spend our holiday near my sister as they miss her being so far away from us.

So the two weeks I have before I go on holiday I hope to have my trains running again and the lower level point motors wired up.