“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice of you to show us,with face is always touch and go for me,
will give your way a try ,ty,;):D

J

Jamiedeal26

Ok so im no expert and I've only been in the hobby 4 or 5 months but thought I'd share how I paint my figures faces. Their are tonnes of guys out there who get better results than me but thought I'd share my way incase any of you guys n gals find it useful...

Here are the paints and brushes I use:View attachment 290697

And here's the finished face:

View attachment 290695

Step1: the figure is primed and I start by painting the flesh Vallejo model colour beige red
View attachment 290699View attachment 290698

Step 2: I then use citadel earth shade wash over all the flesh, I try making the wash heavier around the eyes, and earsView attachment 290700View attachment 290701
Step 3: now it's time to paint the eyes, for this I use my Tamiya super fine HD brush which is great for tiny details. I use Vallejo game colour ghost grey as I think it's a nicer colour than white and gives a more realistic finish. I then use black brown for the pupils again using my Tamiya HD brush.
View attachment 290702View attachment 290683View attachment 290681View attachment 290684

Step 4: I then add a highlight of beige red applying it very subtly to the nose, cheek bones, chin and tops of the ears. And anywhere else the light might catch.
View attachment 290699View attachment 290685

Step 5: I paint in the hair and then it's time for the second and final highlights colour, this time I use a lighter flesh shade, in this case Vallejo model colour flat flesh View attachment 290686View attachment 290687

Step 6: if you want to add facial hair as I did on this figure the method I use it to apply a black/smoke coloured pigment to the face and when I'm happy I seal it with a light spray of Matt varnish.
View attachment 290689View attachment 290690View attachment 290691

Step 7: a bit of detail painting (helmet strap and teeth) and the face is about finished.

View attachment 290694View attachment 290695View attachment 290696

Hope this helped anyone looking for a quick simple way of painting faces. There are lots more detailed tutorials on YouTube (Shane smyth is my personal favourite) but I find this method gets the results I'm after.
Cheers
Jack

Really interesting read, and great tutorial pics.... Helped me massively as my figures lack any kind of realism, I might need to invest in some new paints to get this kind of outcome but it's will be worth it in the long run, thanks again for this great post gave me lots of tips and ideas

Jamie

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Jack
Nice SBS, gives great results as well. Good alternative to the layer technique. Like Dave, this is similar to the way I paint my 28s and 20s for gaming. I use a slightly different pallet though, base colour is VJ dark sand and first highlight is sunny skin tone. Top highlight is light flesh. I use ivory for eyeballs, and black for pupils, reshaping the eye with base colour if necessary before using VJ flesh wash for the wash stage to soften the blending and bring out the shadow areas. Your pallet looks good for winter and colder climate troops, so I might steal it if you don’t mind....
(To be honest, at 28mm and below I sometimes don’t bother with the eyeball....but don’t tell anyone :flushed:)