narrow gauge c-19

P

pibull63

heres a pic of my latest locomotive. its the mdc kit, no longer available. thanks for looking, hope you enjoy

S

Spyderman_uk

Interesting model!

What are the cylinders on the side of the boiler?

It seems strange compared to British engines having such small driven wheels.

Should there be a rear bogey?

P

pibull63

\ said:
Interesting model!What are the cylinders on the side of the boiler?

It seems strange compared to British engines having such small driven wheels.

Should there be a rear bogey?
the cylinders on the side of the boiler are air pumps for the brake system. "bogey" i have no idea what that is. there is a tender on the back, for carrying coal, i just didn't take it out to photograph. thanx for looking, there are more at Pictures by pibull63 - Photobucket

S

Spyderman_uk

A bogey is the set of wheels that pivot separately to the main carriage. Yours looks like it has a bogey in front of the main driving wheels. There are either two or four wheels on a bogey. (One or two axles).

I suppose a good example of a bogey is on a passenger carriage. The wheels are able to pivot independently of the chassis.

Is the braking system by pressure or vacuum?

Both systems were used here, but I think vacuum has been adopted as the standard.

K

Kenj

Well, I think its real neat for someone not knowing a lot about the subject can make such a nice job, Take a star young man!

P

pibull63

now i see what youre asking. over here the front wheels are called guide wheels. the big wheels are called drivers and the small ones in the rear are called trailing wheels. as far as not knowing alot about the subject, its because the terminology here in the USA is different from other parts of the world. the locos with the trailing wheels are the k class locos.