Need help with PE, its driving me nuts!!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Bob well ive never had trouble glueing p/e all i do is sand paper the suface to be glued an then also sandpaper the other bit that the p/e is to be glued an then just put on the super glue an then stick them together an then use accellerant to hasten the glueing whick sticks in about two seconds an it works for me but just got to hope it works ok on the make up my big 4 inch radar scanner an thats p/e an that how i'll do it hope this helps you
chris

Last edited:
First Name
Carl
WOW, thank you all gents:thumb2:

All the hard earned advice, sweat, swearing and jumping out of windows is greatly appricated. Lots to think over, must get more headache tabs, coffee and a loaded gun:upside:

Now if i can help with boring StuG stuff, just light up the searchlight and beam a StuG F8 in the sky ( like good old Batman ) really must get a life

Cheers all bob
I feel your pain Bob, trouble is also that a lot of pe needs painting before fitting so your glueing a painted surface which probably does not help.
that said the one bit of pe that always seems to stick well is the railings. For some reason these stick rather too well sometimes and you hardly have time to position them correctly.
im not even going to start moaning about the rest of my ship build currently as it’s become more and more testing with each session. I’m finding just half an hour a time is enough or else I might drop it in the bin.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
HI Bob well ive never had trouble glueing p/e all i do is sand paper the suface to be glued an then also sandpaper the other bit that the p/e is to be glued an then just put on the super glue an then stick them together an then use accellerant to hasten the glueing whick sticks in about two seconds an it works for me as ive got to make up my big 4 inch radar scanner an thats p/e an that how i'll do it hope this helps you
chris
Thanks Chris

With the amount of PE with ships and some bought for KGV i must sort this out!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Chris

With the amount of PE with ships and some bought for KGV i must sort this out!
WELL Bob i stuck my p/e on my jag model ok an that hasnt come off but as soon as its warm wheather i'll be able to paint spray my big 4 inch radar scanner as thats all p/e an see how i get on as i havent done that much p/e an thats got to be built as it cant be built first before painted as it in a box section an i wont be able to paint it in side an Bob no jumpin out of windows an put that loaded gun away lol
chris

Reactions: JR

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
I'm by no means a learned colleague in this field but I use Gorilla gel.
It's basically a gel super glue, gives you a short time to adjust the part and dries clear, goes on easily with a cocktail stick too.

D

Deleted member 5496

Bob how I do it. Produced this some time ago. I use the very thin on average & wick around the outside of the PE. Goes off very quickly. The secret is to get some primer. prime the plastic before hand. Unfortunatley the primer shown here is only available in 50 lots.

See if i can find another primer they do exist.

CIC8me.jpg UiaWm4.jpg W90UxB.jpg MHyfJ8.jpg HxTHm4.jpg Oz0Bke.jpg sZWq0J.jpg mFr3bi.jpg

D

Deleted member 5496

Here are some primers after a quick search, Probably others.

https://www.permabond.co.uk/product...in-primer-1-x-50ml-for-use-with-cyanoacrylate
https://www.techsil.co.uk/cyanoacrylate-primer-77

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Some great tips there Laurie, like the look of the .
1612440291978.png

D

Deleted member 5496

Some great tips there Laurie, like the look of the .
Yes that looks good as it is the cheapest. Pity about Power Drop. It has a felt tip which makes it perfect for our sort of work.

Best with a liquid, I think, to apply it with a small amount on a cotton bud as you only need as much as you would get from a felt tip.
Laurie

D

Deleted member 5496

Thank you very much Laurie

Cracking, will try the needles, i use old pringle lids for CA

Bob
[/QUOTE

The tatto needles idea I got from a friend. Most important, he told me, load needles on the full length (not dripping) lay needle full length on the PE & draw it along. "wot he told me".

Ps the needle end is made up of about 4 or 5 prongs. Very very slightly spray them apart.

Laurie

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Well after a few hours of messing about with scrap pe, made into different size bits, and different amounts of CA. Finally a lot of progress. Followed Scotties advice and used a pointy end of a scaplel to lightly scratch the pe and contact area and tiny bit of CA
20210208_155052.jpg

I hope you can see too very small, well for me they are!! PE bits, sounds daft but one happy bunny, i can tell you lol.

Thanks again for the excellent advice, what great support!!