Needle in and out - which way?

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Besides the Aztek, with ordinary dual action airbrushes, how do you insert the needle from the front unless you remove the sharp tip of the nozzle?
With the H & S airbrushes the nozzle comes off when you remove the air cap.

Pete

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
this is a nozzle assembly....about twice real size lol

312ia37.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'm with Paul on this one. I have a dual action aztek that I bought in 1997 and it works great. I don't know squat about the dual action end, but it lays down a nice coat of paint!!!
IMG_1604.JPG
The cup can be inserted on either side and you can get different tips for it too...

Forgot to mention that paint flow is controlled by the silver wheel on the back of it

Last edited:
M

MarshMan

That’s interesting Allen for more than one reason. I’ve got a couple of old Thayer and Chandler beasties (that I’ve never used) and they are side fed. I don’t think I’d get parts for them now.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Max, I thought I couldn't get anything for mine either, but last year I picked up a new tip (the tan one) and a large cup for it. It appears Aztek parts are still available and fit one another too. I'm afraid to try any high tech hissy stick thing myself...

M

MarshMan

Max, I thought I couldn't get anything for mine either, but last year I picked up a new tip (the tan one) and a large cup for it. It appears Aztek parts are still available and fit one another too. I'm afraid to try any high tech hissy stick thing myself...
I think my T&C’s are probably a lot older than your Aztek Allen, but I live in hope!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
This is going to upset the apple cart max but i always take the needle out from the back and put it back in the same way , the only time i take off the nozzle is if the brush isnt spraying properly , to clean it . And all the airbrushes i use regularly are chinese cheapos !! Cheers tony

M

MarshMan

This is going to upset the apple cart max but i always take the needle out from the back and put it back in the same way , the only time i take off the nozzle is if the brush isnt spraying properly , to clean it . And all the airbrushes i use regularly are chinese cheapos !! Cheers tony
Well thanks for that Tony! If you haven’t guessed already it’s a Chinese cheapo I’ve bought!
Max

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi all, I have an Iwatta and always remove and replace the needle from the back. I have bought a quick release modification for it that is designed to allow exactly that approach. Anything else would just seem weird :tongue-out3:

By the way, I also have an Aztec, which I used for a few years. I found it needed a lot of air to function correctly, and struggled for fine lines. I liked the settings wheel on the barrel though, allows good control of line width so making consistency a little easier. By the way, using Allen’s picture as a reference, the white bit is the nozzle, the metal bit is the needle, and the coloured bit is the body, so the technology is exactly the same.....

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Peter
Yeah I hear they were taken over by Badger a while back, and I suspect spares for my old beasties (which are unlike any they’re selling today) are well out of stock.
Try emailing them - you never know!

Pete

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi all, I have an Iwatta and always remove and replace the needle from the back. I have bought a quick release modification for it that is designed to allow exactly that approach. Anything else would just seem weird :tongue-out3:

By the way, I also have an Aztec, which I used for a few years. I found it needed a lot of air to function correctly, and struggled for fine lines. I liked the settings wheel on the barrel though, allows good control of line width so making consistency a little easier. By the way, using Allen’s picture as a reference, the white bit is the nozzle, the metal bit is the needle, and the coloured bit is the body, so the technology is exactly the same.....

The First pic of the Aztek is from Paul (Beowulf). I tried to quote him and messed it up...

Reactions: JR

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul

Aztek is made/sold by Testors in the US of A......you can get bits easy enough on ebay or amazon........not sure who is the importer into the UK .....HobbyCraft used to carry nozzles but stopped last year

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Paul, My Aztek was packaged by Testors and came in a nice plastic case. It also included the red cleaning tool and a good length of hose too. I found my tip and the cup here in Germany as a hobby dealer was clearing out his inventory and had marked them down as old stock. Great for me. Gotta try that new tip someday...

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Can I join in ?
I remove my H& S tip, unscrew the back lock and pull the needle out from the back. After cleaning with a fwd motion ( towards the tip.) I apply a smear of Iwatta grease to the shaft and then carefully replace from the back. Before the final push I refit the tip and then gently push the needle home and relock. I find the grease gives a smooth action .
John.:nerd:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I see... the Aztek is a single action airbrush with the paint control is situated at the back and not the front as conventional single action airbrushes.

With the H & S airbrushes the nozzle comes off when you remove the air cap.

Pete

Hi Peter, which model do you have as there are some H&S with screw tips and some with floating tips? I believe the ones with the floating tips just come off when you remove the nozzle assembly.
John, you too which model are you having?

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I see... the Aztek is a single action airbrush with the paint control is situated at the back and not the front as conventional single action airbrushes.

Hi Peter, which model do you have as there are some H&S with screw tips and some with floating tips? I believe the ones with the floating tips just come off when you remove the nozzle assembly.

Cheers,
Richard
Hi Richard.
Ultra, the nozzle unscrews, then I remove the inner tip. Also have the Infinity model ( beautiful control ) which has the same tip system.
John.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete

Cheers,
Richard
Infinity. The bit that unscrews is the air cap, the nozzle is not fixed but is retained by the air cap.

Pete