Needle in and out - which way?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks for the reply guys, I noticed those three models have the float system of attachment.

The Chinese copies of the Japanese airbrushes don't have the float type nozzle tip and are fasten in by screwing it with the help of stamped steel spanner with cuts for the main assembly and nozzle tip. I had my nozzle tip break with the thread still inside. I dipped it in WD40 and using a wooden tooth pick wedged it in the twisted it out...thank goodness for that. Bought a spare and replaced it.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Richard, the Astek is double or single action, with conventional controls as well. Trigger down for air and pull back for paint in double action mode. The roller mechanism controls trigger opening so can restrict paint for single action use if used all the way over....

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard, the Astek is double or single action, with conventional controls as well. Trigger down for air and pull back for paint in double action mode. The roller mechanism controls trigger opening so can restrict paint for single action use if used all the way over....

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the clarification...so it's double triple action.:smiling6: I see now...the roller acts just like the little knob screw in front of the trigger for the Badger 150.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yep, or the attachment I have added to My Iwatta

R

Robo

The way I do it is to remove the needle from the front to save dragging paint back through the Teflon bush, and put it back through the front to save damaging the needle tip. One of my airbrushes is the Badger 155 anthem, a great brush but it had a ball on the back end of the needle to make it easier to pull out which used to drag paint through the bush which dried and stuck round the needle, it`s now no longer there, I cut it off lol.

Reactions: JR

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well everyone has an opinion, just like a you know what :smiling3:

Here's my tuppence worth.

I have been using a couple of Iwata air brushes for the last many years. Day to day I simply pull the needles out through the back and put them in from the back. I rarely remove the whole floating nozzle part, and even more rarely the nozzle itself (except to replace a damaged one).

With routine maintenance and an occasional good clean both work as well today as the day I bought them. The only seal I've ever replaced is one for a head cap that I broke myself.

Cheers

Steve

R

Robo

Just a short follow up to my needle removal. My favourite airbrush is the badger 150 which has three nozzles and three needles the smallest and the one I use the most is the 0.25 which has to be handled very carefully as the lightest of knocks will damage the point hence it must always be inserted from the front of the airbrush.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
You do need to be careful, whichever way you choose.

My two most often used are 0.3mm and a 0.35mm. I do put them in from the back in my Iwatas, I don't know how tricky that would be in a Badger.

Everyone should do what works for them and what they are most comfortable with, it's not really a question of right and wrong.

Cheers

Steve

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
This does make an interesting Q&A session. For those who take the needle out through the back obviously the paint is going to come along too? Do you then do a full strip down and clean?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I wouldn't withdraw the needle before flushing the brush, as if between colours. There may be some small residue of paint left on the needle I suppose, but it won't get drawn through the needle packing (which is PTFE in an Iwata) as the needle is pulled out.

I would usually then give the brush a quick flush/backflush without the needle in to make sure that the paint way and nozzle are clean before replacing the needle and starting another colour.

I have only ever completely stripped and cleaned my airbrushes when they start playing up, getting a bit sticky etc., or if something goes wrong (damaged or badly blocked nozzle or needle for example). This can sometimes be after months of use and several models when I'm on a roll.

I do use enamel or laquer based paints. I had a brief fling with acrylics a few years ago and was forever cleaning the brushes, adding retarders and flow enhancers etc. I'm happy with what I know best! Maybe acrylics have improved since then too :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve