New Bedford Whaler...'Safe Haven'...Completed.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Perfection in such a small scale well done Ron n some great pics:smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
simply stunning work Ron, :D

what else can real be added to it,just beautifully,and amazing work,love it, :smiling3:

for some reason I was thinking much bigger,what scale is the ship then plz ?

real like the water splashing on the rock,

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Unbelievable!! a good model ruined by a kinked bowsprit rigging ! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) Ron mate I dont know how you do it , this is just fantastic , I'll tell you how good it is , its making even me want to do a ship !! The whole thing from the build of the ship to the making of the harbour side and the water effects (especially on the rocks at the end of the quay!) is faultless ,although the weathering on the hand looks a bit overdone!! Its a true great build , reflecting the thought, effort and not least ,skill that has gone into creating this stunning piece. To top it all off the photography is superbly done , showing that you dont need a flash camera (see what I did there? ,.. ok coat is on) to get great pictures ,just a bit of thought and a good eye for composition. Cant wait to see the next instalment , i'm just off t find it now , cheers mucker , Tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'm thinking everyone else rates this as highly as I do Ron. Probably the best of a superb selection of dios that you have created.

I have a request though. There's loads of places to get information and help with building, painting and weathering techniques for kits and scratch built scenery for dios (this forum being one of the best sources). What we don't see very often are guides to the composition of the layout and how it recreates the story behind it.

I know this is the artistic side of our hobby and a lot of it will be hard to put into words as it comes from inside as it were, but are there any tips or suggestions you could give us?

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Stunning yet again Ron, beautifully built

Lee :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Amazing. Nothing more to add. Other than the build thread was enjoyable to read and follow, great work Ron.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks gents and lady for your great posts. It pleases me plentifullyishness when I read the amazing comments.

Monica. the scale is 1/200...The whaler hull is 6" long, with a couple of inches for the bow sprit.

Dave, you are right, it is almost impossible to put into words how I arrive at the end result...It just happens. I hope that has come over as I intend it to!

I get an idea, which I suppose, in a way, is a story, but plan no further. I start with a very basic notion of what I would like, then make a start and ideas just pop up. These I incorporate into the model as I toddle along. It just seems to fall into place - rather like an unknown jigsaw.... and yes, sometimes the jigsaw falls on the floor.

I try and adopt an 'if it looks right, then it's not far off'. I sit back after a stage build and see if perhaps this or that could be moved, added to, or even scrapped. Then, out of nowhere, some more ideas spill out. There were so many things that didn't look right with this model, particularly the scale of the add-ons, but - and this is most important - never be afraid to alter stuff, no matter how drastic. This build was a prime example of that being put into practice!

Not much help, but I'm really finding it difficult to put it all into words that could be of some use. I'll try and come up with something in the near future.....

Thanks to all who followed the initial build of this mini diorama, and again my thanks for the excellent posts on the finished model.

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I knew my question was hard to answer Ron, so I'm sorry to drop it on your shoulders. You know how it goes though, if you want a teacher - ask the best person you know who can do what it is you want to learn!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
If truth were told Dave, when we all look at the excellent dioramas on view at S-M., it is obvious that there is 'now't anyone can to teach to no one ow't'!

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Such detail and so tiny, another masterpiece Ron......I could just imagine you at your bench............Jim:smiling3:

th?&id=OIP.Mc23bef079b4b2514cd7983be7654450co0&w=300&h=198&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Words fail me. But I'll try.

Truly wonderful diorama with masses of detail for the viewer to take in.

Amazing that it is in such a small diorama.

Next....

Ian M

First Name
Brian
Amazing build and great collection of photographs. Hard to believe just how small that is when looking at the individual shots

D

Doug Hughes

I didn't follow this one (boats aren't really my thing) till I saw all the 'Great Builds' clocking up, so I looked to see what all the fuss was about...

This is absolutely superb, Ron - amazing in any scale. Amongst all the great detail, I particularly liked the water splashing up against the rocks. Don't worry about including lots of photos - this diorama deserves it.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your excellent comments gents.

I do like that picture Jim! Take away some of his hair and you have a good likeness of me...on a manic day!

C

chris2681

Another beautiful piece. I think if I ever strayed from armor it might be to do a ship. You inspire me in that direction the way Grumpa inspires me in armor. The water affects you achieve is just perfect , even if in theory its easy I don't think I would be able to achieve what you do. Ive now become a huge fan of your work. Truly amazing and again you photo skills are flawless. I really cant say enough about these two pieces. Remarkable little details , I could go on and on. .....................Chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Chris and Dave for your excellent posts.

Chris, I'm glad it might inspire you to go a' boating yourself......don't forget, your pop inspires lots of people on here, not just your good self.

Apologies to those that have seen this thread before....

Ron