1:72 and 1:76 what's the deal here?

First Name
Alex
Hi folks

I've often wondered why is it that armour comes in different scales to aircraft? 1:76 for armour and figures but the aircraft equivalents are 1:72

Then there is also no equivalent scale for 1:35 armour except maybe 1:24 or 1:32 scale aircraft

Last edited:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
you can get plenty of 1/72 armour

but i agree about 1/32 and 1/35.......think Aifix back in the day were the only ones to dabble in 1/32 armour.....didnt catch on for some reasons

you could always try 1/48....plenty in both genres there :thumb2:

i think its more to do with 1/76 being roughly OO scale as used in railways......and since airfix and hornby trains were back in the day (and still are) under one roof as it were i guess there was some 'cross over'

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi all
Bit of a ramble this.....
As I understand it, 1/72 is the “real” Braille scale. It fits with imperial measurements as a six foot man is one inch high in this scale. This makes it broadly compatible with true 25mm figures.
1/76 was invented to fit with British outline OO railway stock. OO railway really is a child with difficult parentage....it uses 1/87 track with 1/76.2 bodies for those that don’t realise....
God knows what happened with 1/35 and 1/32 though. Neither really fit with anything...I suppose 1/32 fits with imperial measurement as you have one 32nd of an inch to an inch. 1/35 fits with nothing at all.....2 and 6/7ths of a mil to a metre?
1/48th is a good compromise, fitting well with imperial measurements....and I think it is US railway outline O scale as well. UK is different, with O scale being 1/43....
Cheers
Tim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
In Britain, 1/72 was an aircraft scale, as Tim says, and in Imperial or American measurements it makes sense: 1 inch = 6 feet. Again, as he says, 1/76 for military vehicles came into use because it fit the dominant British railway scale of OO-gauge — that’s why the only major manufacturers in 1/76 were British: Airfix and Matchbox, primarily. As I recall, 1/72 for vehicles came about when Esci (from Italy) decided to make small-scale vehicles, and fairly naturally picked the scale that they were already making aircraft models in.

1/32 was also a standard British scale, being used for large-scale vehicles and figures by Airfix in the 1970s. Not quite sure why they picked that number rather than, say, 1/36 (2 × 1/72), but they did. 1/35 is — by accounts — the result of Tamiya wanting to release a battery-powered Panther tank: to fit two D-type (I think) batteries side by side in the hull, it turned out it needed to be 1/35 scale. They then made their following military models to the same scale so they fit with the Panther, and soon the scale was so well-established that almost everybody else began using it too.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I agree you get 1/35 vehicles but 1/32 aircraft
For helicopters, 1/35 scale has been used for a decade or more, giving you the opportunity for a nice, small diorama:

mmu_get_jpeg.php

(I’ve been wanting to build that in 1/72 ever since I first saw that photograph in Vietnam Tracks 25+ years ago, but don’t really have room for that — 1/35 would be even cooler but also even more unfeasible …)

First Name
Alex
So with regards to dioramas i will have to go with 1:76 armour to match a 1:72 aircraft. I'm making a stuka at the moment in 1:72 and i plan to put it on display next to a 40mm bofors anti aircraft gun in desert camo. I think a 1:35 scale would look too big if ibwas displaying them next to each other so i will have to see if i can find a 1:76 version

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
So with regards to dioramas i will have to go with 1:76 armour to match a 1:72 aircraft.
It depends on what you want to put next to it. There’s plenty of armour available in 1/72 — more than in 1/76, is my impression. However, not everything is available in both scales, so you may have to go for 1/76 anyway.

I'm making a stuka at the moment in 1:72 and i plan to put it on display next to a 40mm bofors anti aircraft gun in desert camo.
As said, there’s a 40 mm Bofors from Zvezda, and if their 2-pounder anti-tank gun is anything to go by, it’ll be a rather good model.

I think a 1:35 scale would look too big if ibwas displaying them next to each other so i will have to see if i can find a 1:76 version
1/35 only works next to 1/72 if you’re doing a forced-perspective boxed diorama or something similar. Otherwise, the gun is about twice as big as it should be (or the aircraft half the size, of course).

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
As far as I'm aware only Bronco Models have made any aircraft in 1/35, They first released a Piper cub with rockets then a Fieseler Storch and a couple of assault gliders ,the DFS 230 and the Airspeed Horsa (this comes in two boxings -one as a complete aircraft and one with just the rear section and wings for a just landed and split open dio) . They also do a couple of V1's ,normal and piloted and a german anti aircraft missile.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That was 1/32, also released in a set with an OH-6. Dragon released a 1/35 scale OH-6 about 25 years ago, and then others followed with more helicopters. Scalemates lists 156 full kits of aircraft in 1/35, including several Super Frelon kits by Heller from the 1970s that I wasn’t aware of even existed, so I guess the scale goes back further than I thought :smiling3: