New Person Alert

T

The Bone Collector

Hi, I have just joined. I am new to model building. What is the best way to get advice and help on how to start this new adventure

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hello and welcome to the forum. The best place for help and advice is here. What sort of models are you interested in?

T

The Bone Collector

Hi Thanks Various, need to do a couple to see what I like. I used to do models as a kid but it has changed a lot. I have purchased a Chinook by Trumpiter and a couple of Revell space craft. I found the instructions on the Trumpiter confusing. They had 2 boxes for colour and lines coming from the unit to the color code. Could not work out if I had to use either colour or a particular one. Another problem is in what order you put the bits together Is it anti-clock wise, clock-wise or random. With regards to painting or spraying do I do this before assembly or after. Thanks

J

Jens Andrée

Hi and welcome!!!

There are no concrete rules in what order to assemble parts, just do step by step and hope for the best ;)
After a while you learn what works best and I often only use the instructions as a guide on how it "could" be assembled, but not necessarily in that order.
Also the quality of instructions differs a lot between different manufacturers so some are super easy whereas others are almost useless. Most modern kits have good instructions.

The same goes for painting. Tanks and other armour you can often build almost the whole kit before you start the painting process whereas with planes you have to paint something in almost every step. It gets more obvious with experience but we all still miss painting something and have to backtrack and use a lot of masking...
Boats and ships I've got no experience with.

Read the whole instructions first and make a plan on paper. That helps a lot!