new winter dio "why tigers dont play in mud"

T

Tyler Christiansen

hey guys im starting this new diorama called "why tigers dont play in mud" (if someone else used this name i apologize i didnt mean to use it) and its going to be in the winter with a tiger that got stuck in mud/water (maybe a pond?), a bergepanther is going to try to pull it out and therell be a jagdpanzer IV L/70(A) bring rearmed by a munitionschlepper 1 ausf A with some troops on the side. I ordered some things yesterday so hopefully i can get started soon any tips on how to do water would be greatly appreciated

Here are the models being used

jagdpanzer IV L/70(A)

Munitionschlepper 1 Ausf A

Bergepanther

Tiger 1 late

Flamethrower team

german soldiers

D

dubster72

Hi Tyler,

If it's a winter dio, then maybe the tiger could be stuck in a semi-frozen pond / pool? If not, then I'd go for a mudhole as opposed to a water feature.

Water can be done in various ways ; clear resin, gloss varnish in layers or even a sheet of mirrored plastic.

I know you like big dioramas, but I think you're planning to use too many vehicles here. Most especially the Jagdpanzer as these were part of entirely separate companies, and would rarely be seen with Tiger Abteilungs. Having said that, no doubt someone's got a pic of 10 of them together!

However you decide to go, good luck!

Cheers

Patrick

First Name
Aaron
Hi Tyler,

That IS an impressive dio idea ya got there i love muniitionsschlepper 1 ausf a. Is it MB or i know Tristar do a great one too. I have the Masterbox one (Terrible indy tracks). It would be good to see one loading a jagdpanzer iv. I like the sleekness of them.

Id love a couple of boxshots of the kits if thats possible?

Mint idea, Cant wait to see. Its almost 2 diorama situations in one, should be well huge =p

T

Tyler Christiansen

it is the MB one that has the three figures and as soon as i get the models (i ordered them yesterday so im expecting them sometime next week) ill post boxshots and besides the tracks is there any problems with the model? And yea they were part of different companies but what i was figuring was they were a combat team sent out to somewhere in the ardennes since i know it comes with decals for the 1st SS division (Leibenstandarte SS) so thats kinda the justification of the two unique vehicles together

Last edited:
T

Tyler Christiansen

well I just got two models today so gonna get started on those soon

T

Tyler Christiansen

well I guess it didnt upload the other pic but i also got the jagdpanzer IV and heres my progress with both the tank and the figures tell me what you think and also the jagdpanzer came with magic tracks and would ya'll suggest I build them now (thats what the instructions say) or wait till I paint the model?

View attachment 42885View attachment 42886View attachment 42887View attachment 42888View attachment 42889View attachment 42890View attachment 42891

P.S. sorry for the poor quality for I took these with my iphone since my camera's battery is charging

View attachment 46168

View attachment 46169

View attachment 46170

View attachment 46171

View attachment 46172

View attachment 46173

View attachment 46174

figure 1.jpg

figure 2.jpg

figure 3.jpg

figure 4.jpg

figures.jpg

jagdpanzer 2.jpg

jagdpanzer.jpg

First Name
Aaron
Hi Tyler, I didnt get an alert mail on this post till now. I have built the mb muniitionsschlepper apart from the tracks there a bit of a cleanup on most parts and the window slots need recutting but i had fun with it and i did mine Leibenstandarte SS. The figs are cool but the general has a join right across his belly that needs hiding and the loader with the cap had a weird pose but great detail on them all. i would try and do the tracks to be removeable so you can prep them as you want before attaching. i am very interested in this post but i havent been getting alerts of your posts =( Good luck with the build those figd look great and the jagdpanzer is coming along nicely. Do you want some part shots of the muniitionsschlepper 1 ausf a because i have another in the stash as well as the command type or has yours arrived? Unless they are the pics i cant see.

D

dubster72

Hi Tyler,

Dragon suggest making the tracks now because when the upper hull is glued on, the fenders will make it tough to ' snake ' them through the gap between the fenders & upper return wheels.

I know coz I have the L/48 kit & I'm looking at the instructions right now! Personally I'm going to build them in 2 sections, lower & upper, and leave them off the kit until I've painted the lower hull ( just the area around the tracks ). I'll then fit them & when I come to paint the the tank as a whole, I'll mask off the tracks & wheels.

Hope that makes sense to you!

Cheers

Patrick

T

Tyler Christiansen

thank you allfor the comment and yes i have the munitionschlepper i thought i posted pictures of the boxes but i guess it didnt work and as for pics of the munitionschlepper I havent started building that yet I am going to finish the buld of the jagdpanzer and then start the build of the munitionschlepper but as soon as i start it ill post pics and try to keep you guys up to date with the project as much as possible

First Name
Aaron
Cheers Tyler, Take your time mate, How are you finding the magic tracks?

First Name
Aaron
You did a good job on those tracks mate nice sag which is very realistic on these and the figs look good too maybe a little shiney but they arent finished yet. I see my old nemesis general in pic 7.I had a hell of a time trying to blend his midbody join line. The kid in the white jacket in pic 4 had a queer lean to him on my set but yours looks good.

Onward and upwards my friend.

T

Tyler Christiansen

Thank you very much for the positive feedback i have not worked with tracks like that so im sure theres tons of room for improvement and as for the figures yes they are a little shiny but im going to work on them tomorrow and the kid in pic 4 does and thats how he was made i built him straight out of the box so maybe i can reposition him so he doesnt have that lean

First Name
Aaron
Hi Tyler, Looking good man, The afvs look choice and the figs look cool too, I especially like the guy in the white coat. Itll be good to see them tooled up. Awesome mud i use to use real sifted dirt mixed with pva and water but i prefer pigments for dirt and dust. i like your style.

J

John Huggins

Outstanding work Tyler, will be keeping an eye on this one.

Keep up the good work & have fun.

John

D

dubster72

Ummm.... not sure about this at all ...

Firstly Tyler, I think you've got some AB problems, even though your pics are rather blurry I can see spiders & blotches that look as though you're thinning the paint too much, using too high a pressure, getting too close or a mixture of all 3.

Secondly, why is the munitions wagon painted Panzer grey? No German vehicles were anything other than Dunkelgelb after February 1943. You've also missed bits on the rear where the brass is showing through.

Thirdly, your figures are kinda unfinished coz there's base plastic showing through the paint. Also you could think about painting their kit on sprue instead of on the figs - I can see where you've missed bits, such as on the spare magazine pouches.

Lastly, be careful how you do the whitewash. When the Ardennes offensive started there was no snow on the ground, so no vehicles had winter camo. Some got it during the operation, but it wouldn't have worn off too much due to the short time that they'd have seen action.

Sorry if my comments seem harsh, but there's no point in saying ' well done ' if you've room for improvement.

Cheers

Patrick

P

phalinmegob

well done tyler....... we ALL have room for improvement.