new winter dio "why tigers dont play in mud"

T

Tyler Christiansen

thank you and I dont mind at all. I know it seems like last time I was upset from his comments but that is far from the truth it was pure bad coincidence that what was wrong happened at the same time of those comments.

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Those are looking awesome Tyler. You have put some real effort into those and they look great. Looking forward to the finished result mate.

T

Tyler Christiansen

thank you and the finished project wont be till rather early next year or mid next year

T

Tyler Christiansen

Well it looks like the project has been postponed indefinitely for I have started a long and hard process for getting accepted to West Point. I'm not sure if ya'll on the other side of the world know what West Point is, but it is a Military Academy that requires nominations from government officials like congressman, vice president, or even president, and just today I learned that a vp of a military officers association chapter in my county knows our congressman and said he can get me a nomination so I just became instantaneously busier, wish me luck! :biggrin:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Congratulations on your journey to the academy Tyler. Good luck!

T

Tyler Christiansen

Sorry for not posting anything lately, I've been busy with colleges, on the bright side I got two acceptance letters! :groupwave: I do have three models, tamiya's 1/35 jagdpanther, 1/35 miniart's german tank crew winter '43-'45, and trumpeter's 1/200 Arizona, and as soon as I can find my camera I'll upload photos and also ive come across a problem with my airbrush, the part that connects the actual airbrush to the tube, the part that lets the air flow through the airbrush is no longer working, not sure why so im trying to fix it, ill update ya'll as soon as I can

N

noble

Best of luck for all future endevours and good luck with west point some of the finest millitary officers have graduated from there and I also believe George Armstrong Custer did eventually too.

scott

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Just got all caught up with you build Tyler, the panzer and ancillary vehicles look great, and your figure painting is top notch, wish mine was half as good.

Also, good luck at West Point, and well done making the grade.

Tony.

T

Tyler Christiansen

though I appreciate the compliments, I sadly did not get west point, my apologies for not saying that, instead I did get the citadel, another military college in South Carolina, but i digress. I do have a weathering question: For my jagdpanther I want to weather it using acrylic paints, but i dont know any good ways to do it, any tips would be greatly appreciated

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Congratulations with your acceptance into Citadel.

Ian M

C

CDW

Congratualtion on Citadel Tyler.

I only use acrylic paints (all brush applied) and i have a selection of differing shades of browns made up into thin washes (5-10% paint to water) which i apply to the model to achieve dirt/rust etc, i often add a bit of texture by adding some bi-carb (sodium bicarbonate / baking soda) this can look like rust if you use "reddy browns" and a black wash, or can look like mud if you use lighter and darker browns combined.

To pick out details and give a "used" appearence i give the model an all over wash with a thinned flat black, the thinned paint finds all the dents and crevices and looks like ingrained dirt when it dries.

I use different silver colours to add a bit of wear applied with the dry brush technique, and use a fine brush (or an old stipple brush) to give the look of chipping around hatches etc.

If you want a particularly dirty model then you can add "static grass" / sand / soil / moss to the painted areas as you go along, this give a nice build up of dirt as you would find on a real vehicle.

T

Tyler Christiansen

thank you CDW and Ian, especially for the tips on weathering. I did try a rusting technique for the tracks, I mixed burnt sienna and thinner (I just eyeballed it so i cant give you exact measurements) and brushed it on the tracks and spare tracks and as soon as I can get a photo ill upload it for everyone to see, and as for the bi carb technique, how exactly do you do that?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'm also playing catch up.....

Great to read you have been accepted into Citadel, you must be well pleased....I wish you good fortune in your chosen career.

I've just been refreshing myself with your build, it's coming along really well.

Colin's advise is sound, so no point in me confusing the issue with another perhaps slightly different method. You will find most folks have their own pet way of weathering, so why not have a play on an old model, before committing to the 'Real thing'?

I don't use bi carb. so can't help there, sorry! I just pick out the rusty bits with a bit of brownish, thinned enamel, then gently ease it downward with a dry brush....Bit basic, but it works!

Good luck with the painting, whichever method you adopt......

Ron

T

Tyler Christiansen

Sorry for not posting anything lately, but I ran into a snag. My little brother thought my jagdpanther would look better destroyed while i was gone so he went to town on it and my mom saw it broken so she threw it away, so now i have to start that over with a whole new model :/ thats a setback, but I shall prevail! also, I've been debating changing a few things on the project but not sure if I should, im thinking of cutting the tank being pulled from the mud, and add a self propelled howitzer, and even though im guilty of not being completely historically accurate, im trying to be as accurate as i can when it comes to the vehicles (minus the munitionschlepper, though i do believe a few were used in the ardennes offensive) so any tips about that would be appreciated :D

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hard luck about the Jagdpanther Ty'.....can't you keep the wreck and use it in a dio.?

Can't help you with your historical question. I know precious little about that side of things, (Dangerous territory anyway, stating this and that never appeared here and there.) so I tend to stick to just having fun making the things!

Good luck whatever you decide on.

Ron

T

Tyler Christiansen

I wanted to, but my mom tossed it before i couldve gotten hold of it, thanks though

T

Tyler Christiansen

Hey guys sorry for not posting any of the progress, and once again ive skewed away from the original plan, but it still works. For Christmas mom got me dragons Sd.Kfz.138/1 Geschutzwagen s.IG.33, verlinden's spg crew, and vallejo mud paint, so I put the 3 together along with some homemade tarps so tell me what you think. After looking back at some of y'alls projects its not amazing but I like it hahaha View attachment 56674View attachment 56675View attachment 56676View attachment 56677

View attachment 58722

View attachment 58723

View attachment 58724

View attachment 58725

487278_4817488430231_1309904353_n.jpg

530857_4817487910218_965249109_n.jpg

536968_4817488670237_1996660323_n.jpg

734375_4817488150224_62226480_n.jpg