newbie question

L

lukemahon

First of all hello iv never built a scale model in my life but today decided if like to build a challenger 2 british mbt and detail it to the one i operated during op telic 3, abit of a sentimental project but like i said i have 0 model building experience but have been doing some research and watching tutorials for things like weathering, chipping ect butthe first obstacle is obviously the build,

What i want to ask is what is the best, most accurate challenger 2 model kit manufactured,

I know as a begginer id probably me wise to buy one in the cheeper simpler range but as this will be a one off thing i would like the best available and to realy take my time with it, also is there and techniques for battle damage that people use i.e a scorch/burn from an rpg

Any help and advice will be appretiated

Thanks

Luke

D

Deleted member 3568

I would like to say welcome to the friendliest forum on the net. I'm sorry I don't know enough about military builds to help you there but you will find all the help you need on here, a very good choice of forums.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
First of all welcome to the forum as a newbie i would plump for a 1/72 kit revell would your best bet as if you fluff it up you won't have made a expensive mess but others here will probley better advice as i am not a military modeller.

Peter t

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Welcome to the forum Luke

Tamiya do a good challenger kit , I think it's around £25/£30 , you won't have any problems with the build they are quite straight forward with clear instructions

On your RPG burn I would use an oil black paint as a dry brush , all you do is put a small amount of paint on your brush and wip most of it off , then gently rub the brush over your build where you want it to be , this will give a faded burn mark

I hope this helps

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
What scale are you wanting, 1/72 or 1/35? 1/35 being bigger.

Trumpeter 1/35 is around £20ish-not a bad kit but can be a bit iffy on fit in places.

Tamiya 1/35 is around £35+ and is a good kit.

You can also get a Eduard PE enhancement kit for around £11ish.

Si:smiling3:

N

noble

First of all hi, I concur with the gents here if you want 1/35 scale then tamiya is the way to go, the fit is good detail is good and it wont break the bank.

Scott

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi and welcome Luke the 1/35 Tamiya Challenger would be the best to go for its not too big, easy to handle and build, with very straight forward instructions.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
my advice would be to try something else first simply to have a go, learn how kits go together, practice paint/weathering techniques on..............then when you go at that expensive Chally you wont make as many mistakes and there fore not likely to throw it in the bin!!

get some cheapo Panzer from tamiya to practice on, cant go wrong with those

of course once you have done a practice kit and the chally you will be hooked just like the rest of us :D

welcome to the site, look forward to seeing how you get on and dont be afraid to ask for help

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
\ said:
Welcome to the forum Luke
Tamiya do a good challenger kit , I think it's around £25/£30 , you won't have any problems with the build they are quite straight forward with clear instructions

On your RPG burn I would use an oil black paint as a dry brush , all you do is put a small amount of paint on your brush and wip most of it off , then gently rub the brush over your build where you want it to be , this will give a faded burn mark

I hope this helps
One thing I`d add here Luke. With all the fancy techniques. Weathering, chipping and scorch marks. Practice first until you get right. Paint up some yogurt pots or plastic takeaway boxes and practice on those.......... and welcome to the forum.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hey Luke, newbie tanker ay? As you can see from my Avatar I'm a die hard tanker, 30 plus years experience so I may be able to help, all you have to do is ask. some very fine armor builders on this site {just scan the forums} and all are eager to help in any way. Everyone is friendly and patient so have no fears, hope this hobby clicks with you no matter what your preferences are. ..........Oh, I'd take previous advice and start off knocking down a couple of cheapie kits before doing your dream build, you'll be surprised how much you will learn from doing a couple of practice kits first. ;) .........Jim:smiling3:

P

phikoleoputra

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your build, a lot of excellent tank modellers here just ask away.

D

dougie

Hi, welcome.

You really must take the above advice. I used one of my own part builds from when I was younger, to start off. I had, as you did, read loads and had great intentions, even if you are smart and you take your time you will make mistakes and you will learn things the hard way. Maybe go for the idea above and try your fav tank in a cheap 1/72 then the 1/35?

I also bought a part build from eBay for my second kit... Made a cock up and learned a huge ammount but again, it saved a lot of money on my better stashed kits. As I said I am not totally daft and resonable with tools and I gave myself a few kits to mess about with. It's the best way, no real pressure or expectations and you will get constructive criticism here.

Also... I did some test pieces for paint compatibility on my first build and skipped it one time on my eBay part build. Big mistake. Always do a compatibility test piece when mixing paints, primers and to coats hahaha