Newby question - Airbrush Cleaner ?

R

Richy C

Hi guys , got my 1st airbrush kit yesterday , I`ve seen airbrush cleaners on various websites but would like to know what you guys use ie:- best and cheapest ways to keep your kit in good order , any advice on cleaning out acrylics or oils would be very welcome , or is it as simple as acrylics = warm water , oil = white spirit.

Richy.:thinking:

D

dubster72

I don't of anyone who shoots oils through an AB Richy, so I can't say I'd recommend it! For acrylics I use windscreen cleaner (the blue stuff from Halfords) after each use & every week I give it a good clean-out with Badger airbrush cleaner. I haven't sprayed with enamels so I can't offer anything on that except perhaps white spirits. What I would say is keep it really clean & only stir, never shake your paint pots coz that introduces all the dry claggy stuff at the top of the pot. Patrick

R

Richy C

Thanks Patrick , sorry more questions - for tamiya acrylics is it best once mixed to let it settle for a few minutes or can you just shoot , also not knowing how much paint to mix I`ve bought 5 empty tamiya jars to keep the left overs in , is this wise and if so how long can these be kept.

cheers

Richy

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi,richy , once youve mixed your paint you can start spraying straight away, if you leave it ,itll just settle and seperate out ,also give it a stir now and again in the middle of spraying or before a second coat.The empty jars are a good idea and should keep any left over paint for a good few weeks,just remember not to thin them if you use them again.Dont forget to wash out any bought colour paint jars that have become empty, a good soak with hot water gets all the paint out , ive finished up with dozens! good luck with the spraying cheers tony

D

dubster72

As Tony says, you just can't stir Tamiya paint, or any paint for that matter, enough! old pots are very handy! When I get new paint, I always pour half into an old, clean pot then top up both with thinner-hey presto, 2 pots of ready-to-use paint! Also, I keep different shades of pre-mixed washes in the old pots. Patrick ps ask as many questions as you like Richy, we all like to help!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Richy - ditto all above.

For cleaning acrylics on a day to day basis I use Muc-Off from Halfords (meant for washing bikes!). For a periodic deep clean I strip the brush and give the bits a good soak in laquer thinners. Not the O rings/seals! I use the little interdental brushes to get into the body/nozzle. Be careful with lacquer thinners as it is "hot" stuff. I do this rarely as I don't find the acrylic paints build up in the brush if you do your day to day maintenance properly.

I don't spray enamels any more but I used to do the day to day flushing with white spirit and the occasional deep clean as above.

I see this is your first airbrush. I guarantee you will experience a few difficulties getting that perfect spray but don't be put off and don't panic! Play with your thinning and pressures and with a bit of practice I also guarantee you'll get the results you are after. I can still remember,many years ago, spraying an RAF "Mustang" and thinking "bl**dy hell,that's alright that is!"

Best of luck with your spraying and remember we're all here to help.

Steve

B

ben_wallis_10

great advice!! I've used the windscreen cleaner a few times & will swear by it, it's the cheapest way to clean you AB, white spirit I've only used once but the results were as good, if not better then most cleaners avaliable on the market.

N

noble

Hi Richy i don't know if it is the cheapest but tend to use cellulose thinners for my airbrushes it is guarenteed to remove all remenants of paint so i ensure my brushes are clean and it doesn't require much to do the job. As for tamiya paint once you pour and mix it for use don't let it settle or it will seperate shoot the paint right away, as for oils definate no no with an AB these are used with paint brushes only.

scott

N

noble

Sorry Richy meant to add that if you mix Tamiya acrylic and thinner in a jar with a lid on it then it will last for several weeks.

scott

T

tonyb6000

Cheapest way to clean acrylics from an airbrush is with the aftershave you aunty/nephew buys you for xmas. The more alcohol the better!