Nigel Mansell's BAe Hawk F1...

A

AlasdairGF

Love to hear a bit more about the making of the decals - what software do you use, how do you scale them, etc? Do you mostly just search the web for images, do you have to use vector images types or any old jpeg off google image search, etc etc. How good a printer do you need to have for 1/72 decals? Any info would be great, sounds like a cool sub-set of skills for the modeller-cum-computer-geek!

First Name
Mike
Thanks again for all the friendly comments :smiling3:

\ said:
Love to hear a bit more about the making of the decals - what software do you use, how do you scale them, etc? Do you mostly just search the web for images, do you have to use vector images types or any old jpeg off google image search, etc etc. How good a printer do you need to have for 1/72 decals? Any info would be great, sounds like a cool sub-set of skills for the modeller-cum-computer-geek!
Hi Alasdair, as I've just posted in another thread I use a now-defunct ALPS printer, which is able to print white and metallics using a thermal head, so the decals are waterproof. However I've also made inkjet and laser printed decals, the major drawback being that in both cases the inks are transparent, so the underlying camo colours will show through when applied to the model. Printing onto white decal paper is a solution in most cases.

For the Hawk I was able to download vector artwork for most of the logos, and the ones I couldn't find I drew in Adobe Illustrator. I scanned the profile from the Airfix instruction sheet, scaled it to 1/72 and used it as template for sizing the various sponsor logos. It's possible to print pegs etc. but vector will give much sharper results, and of course means they can be scaled up without losing resolution.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Great looking model as always Mike from yourself. This decal printing/making seems rather expensive and complicated to set up its a shame it is not more accessible to computer numptys like myself as I would have no idea where to begin and I imagine the printer would be quite expensive.By now you would have thought someone would have produced a decal printing machine for the mass market.

First Name
Mike
\ said:
Great looking model as always Mike from yourself. This decal printing/making seems rather expensive and complicated to set up its a shame it is not more accessible to computer numptys like myself as I would have no idea where to begin and I imagine the printer would be quite expensive.By now you would have thought someone would have produced a decal printing machine for the mass market.
Hi John, you can print decals on a regular ink-jet printer, which these days go for really cheap prices and are capable of very high resolution printing, so the basic set up costs are pretty low. As I said, there are some restrictions on what you can do because of the transparent nature of the inks, but there are work arounds for most of them. All you need besides the printer (and a computer of course) is the blank decal paper and some kind of fixative to spray over the printed sheet. The artwork can be made yourself if you have some basic knowledge, but there's a lot of downloadable decal artwork out there, such as these from MAI magazine: https://sites.google.com/site/rjcaviationart/decalarchive

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
\ said:
Hi John, you can print decals on a regular ink-jet printer, which these days go for really cheap prices and are capable of very high resolution printing, so the basic set up costs are pretty low. As I said, there are some restrictions on what you can do because of the transparent nature of the inks, but there are work arounds for most of them. All you need besides the printer (and a computer of course) is the blank decal paper and some kind of fixative to spray over the printed sheet. The artwork can be made yourself if you have some basic knowledge, but there's a lot of downloadable decal artwork out there, such as these from MAI magazine: https://sites.google.com/site/rjcaviationart/decalarchive
Cheers Mike please forgive my ignorance on this subject.if I have this right all I need is some white decal paper and my target image but would the white decal paper not show through on letters and numbers etc in the background and if so how would one get around that aside from a lot of fiddly cutting out with a sharp knife and you mention fixative but which one. Sorry to sound if I'm coming out of the dark ages but I have only ever printed documents before and if one could learn to print own decals then thet would be amazing and lift a lot of restrictions on what can be done with a model.I have seen lots of images of ww11 racers especially mustangs but can only ever dream of trying to reproduce one of those in a model due to the markings/artwork just being able to do the basics of what you talk about would be a giant leap forward in my modelling world. I would very much like to give this ago so if you can point me in the right direction for fixative and decal paper, which one and were to purchase it will be very much appreciated cheers John

Z

Ziper_it

Another stunning masterpiece Mike.

I'm always impressed from what you can get from a simple kit.

Francesco

1275GT

My OCD-ness doesn't want to like this, but I bloody do ! Are you going to do a red and white Senna-esque Alpha Jet for him to pass???? :smiling3:

G

GruntZone360

Huh, pretty cool! Especially the custom decals! I'll have to come up with my own sometime and get that printer. xD

First Name
Mike
Thanks guys!

\ said:
My OCD-ness doesn't want to like this, but I bloody do ! Are you going to do a red and white Senna-esque Alpha Jet for him to pass???? :smiling3:
Actually Neil, that's a cool idea...