No Retreat! East Prussia, January 1945

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here is the completed second figure of the trio. I have altered him to try and capture a sort of "What do you want?" pose.

Good cammo, eh? lol

I'll do weapon slings, ect. last job or when I'm in the mood!

I hope it passes muster. Wadda you think?

I will post pictures of the final figure soon...

Thank you for looking.

Ron

View attachment 26255

NO RETREAT 029.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Adrian, glad you like it.

It's coming on steadily. I'll be glad when the figures are done..

Cheers,

Ron

F

Fenlander

Have to say Ron that looking at this last figure and your Avatar, all it needs is the glasses, I think you are contemplating the ultimate diorama in which you put yourself in as a leading character. Pure class ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hello folks, here is the last of the 3 figures:-

'cos all the world and his wife will be out and about this w/end, I've kept my head doon, sat in the garden and worked on this figure...

I had a bit of a hiccup with this one. His left arm, which in the original pose cradled an A.P. shell, is just right for holding the rifle stock, so I was able to leave that alone, all his other limbs, head, arms and one hand had to be repositioned.

When I started to paint his uniform I noticed his right hand had dropped off...Carpet Monster one, Ron nil. (final score!)

So I have had to redo him with his 'Stump' hidden under his poncho, let's call it a war wound, eh?

I hope you like him.

Next I will white wash the Pak 40..

Thanks for looking in.

Ron

View attachment 26306

View attachment 26307

NO RETREAT 032.jpg

NO RETREAT 030.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent progress young ron, the conversion work is lovely. The bloke with the rifle looks absolutely freezing , great atmosphere, and the dio isnt even done yet!! keep it up mate , cheers tony

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Ron, is he ok sat there. Someone give him a hot cuppa. Nice one matey keep 'um coming.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for taking a gander chaps and for the nice comments. He does look fruzzed over doesn't he?!

Now the figures are more or less done I will whitewash the Pak 40 then I can make a start on the diorama. Don't know what form it will take yet, so I'll crack a can and 'ave a tink!

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hello campers, I've put a coat of whitewash on the Pak 40 so that's done now, so I can start to give the diorama my undivided attention!

If anyone is a bit wary of doing a whitewashed vehicle, gun, armour whatever, I have found it best to use a small flat head brush. Try and aim for one around 1/8" across. This is near enough to scale of a real brush I have seen on photos of German soldiers coating tanks in the white stuff, massive things akin to a yard brush. lol!

Try to imagine you have been given a bucket full of whitewash and a brush and being told you have less than 15mins. to paint the gun before the enemy arrives!!!

That is what I do when I paint my models, think panic! Believe me it works...be brave, just slap it on. If you start to fiddle and do every nook and crannie it won't in my opinion, look realistic, just my own slant on it mind!

I know the stuff was sometimes sprayed on, but when in full retreat I reckon there were not many sprayguns and compressors taken back with the army.

In any case, I just don't particularily like the finish achieved using an A.B. it looks (to me) too neat and uniform and this form of cammo was usually done in a hurry and in the field with a brush.

But, as in all aspects of modelling it's down to the individual how he perceives the finished model should look.....

I hope you approve of my interpretation.

Thanks for looking,

Ron

View attachment 26317

View attachment 26318

View attachment 26319

View attachment 26320

NO RETREAT 036.jpg

NO RETREAT 034.jpg

NO RETREAT 033.jpg

NO RETREAT 035.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry to sling another photo at you boys and girl.

I thought I had finished the Pak but I found an interesting study of one on 'tinternet so I copied it, well nearly!

It shows a rough cover over the breach block, I guess to try and stop it freezing up and a bit of cammo on the barrel perhaps to confuse the enemy into thinking the gun is a smaller calibre than it is, I don't know.

Anyway here it is.

Thanks,

Ron

View attachment 26336

NO RETREAT 038.jpg

R

Richy C

1st class Ron , love the figures and the pak , as usual you`ve upped the standard again with dios , give us a chance mate, I`m still learning the basics saying that I would not be where I am now if it was not for yourself and Patrick (where ever he is )

Richy

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
1st class Ron , love the figures and the pak , as usual you`ve upped the standard again with dios , give us a chance mate, I`m still learning the basics saying that I would not be where I am now if it was not for yourself and Patrick (where ever he is )Richy
That's a point! Does anyone know where young Patrick has got to? I don't remember seeing any posts from him recently.

Gern

PS Ron - Don't apologise for sending more pics if they're of quality builds like this! The more the merrier.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
1st class Ron , love the figures and the pak , as usual you`ve upped the standard again with dios , give us a chance mate, I`m still learning the basics saying that I would not be where I am now if it was not for yourself and Patrick (where ever he is )Richy
Thanks for the feedback boys.

Richie, I often wonder where Patrick (dubster72) is too..

He was our Steve (stona) of the armour world, wasn't he? Perhaps he will read this thread and get in touch again. I hope so.

Cheers,

Ron

Oops! Sorry Dave, we must have pressed the button at almost the same time.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi everyone,

As this last w/end was a Bank Holiday I refused to go out the gate but contented myself with a few beers and a Bar-b'. Oh, and I also slunk off to the shed and did a bit on this build.....

I have started on the diorama now.

I hadn't much of a clue what form it would take other than I had a Pak 40 and 3 figures to put on it. This is always the way with me, I just get ideas as I go along. Can't hold too much in the old noggin at one go! lol

I started off with the bare base, which is an upturned 12"X12" old floor tile. As the crew would be in a bit of a hurry, I wanted a makeshift something that might have been lying around to try and hide the gun, so I came up with the idea of a picket fence, made from bits of wood the gun crew found in the field. (balsa strip scraps bedded in adhesive) I then added a bit of a hump to the right of the fence out of bits of old insulation board.

I intend to make a stone wall from bits on my drive, to show the right angle corner of a field and I can shove the gun in there.

Here are 3 pictures of progress thus far...

Thanks for looking,

Ron

View attachment 26342

View attachment 26343

View attachment 26344

NO RETREAT 041.jpg

NO RETREAT 040.jpg

NO RETREAT 039.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi all.

Managed to get another good run at the dio:-

In the first 2 pictures I had an impatient play with the white emulsion.The final 2 show the whole thing covered all over with grey adhesive and when it was still wet, I did the vehicle tracks and footprints but left the ploughed field alone!

I have added the stone walls and finally, popped in a gate from a previous build just for a tryout!

Now it needs to dry out completely, then I can move on to the next stage.

I hope you approve of the build so far and thanks for taking a look.

Ron

View attachment 26347

View attachment 26348

View attachment 26349

View attachment 26350

NO RETREAT 044.jpg

NO RETREAT 045.jpg

NO RETREAT 042.jpg

NO RETREAT 043.jpg

N

noble

Lookin good as always Ron, sweet jesus man your turning these out like your life depended on it i've barely had the time to look at mine in ages due to being at work so i have to appologise for that, good greif even carrie is further along than me at the moment. Anyway can't wait to see the finished product i've got my five stars ready.

scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Lookin good as always Ron, sweet jesus man your turning these out like your life depended on it i've barely had the time to look at mine in ages due to being at work so i have to appologise for that, good greif even carrie is further along than me at the moment. Anyway can't wait to see the finished product i've got my five stars ready.scott
Thanks Scott, always good to hear from you Bud.

No apologies required, I am very fortunate in that I am semi- retired so I have some nice dollops of spare time, so in the shed I go..

It's either that or listen to my missus and her mates talking away like tuppenny Budgies!!! lol

How's Carrie's G.B. coming along, give my regards will you?

Cheers,

Ron

N

noble

Here GB is further along than mine is Ron she's almost finished the farm house and she has the figures nearly done, She has a bit of a way to go but hers is more complex than mine but i have to say mate even i'm surprised at how quickly she's picking all this up.

scott