Non GB GB spitfire

D

dm73

Hello all, thought i'd enter my attempt at the non gb gb , i bought this spitfire from John to enter this, my first gb. First thing i noticed when i opened the box was how small 1/72 scale is after working on 1/35 which i found fiddly at the best of times. I am aiming to do a small dio showing a damaged plane coming in for a rough landing then i realised Tamiya for whatever reason don't give you a pilot and never having built a plane before 1/72 or other i don't have one laying around so i've got to think of something to get over this, may fill the cockpit with an oily smoke from the damaged engine.

Pics so far..

Box of bits

View attachment 20932

Wing damage

View attachment 20934

Under carriage damage

View attachment 20933

Cockpit with ghost pilot

View attachment 20935

Cheers

Darren

View attachment 27940

View attachment 27941

View attachment 27942

View attachment 27943

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good to see you joining in the fun, Darren. It looks a nice kit. Good luck with the build and diorama.

I will be following with interest.

Ron

D

dm73

Cheers Ron, looking forward to your build also, i take it the 109 is going to get a rough time of it?

Darren

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
You bet your sweet dippy!!!!

Looks like your Spitfire isn't going to be too happy either!

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Greg147

Excellent work on the wing damage, Darren, especially on a 1/72 build. I know the feeling of realising that your kit doesn't come with a pilot; I too had an in-flight diorama in mind, until I realised that the Academy BF-109 doesn't have one. Perhaps you can find an individual pilot set? Preiser might do a pack.

Good work so far, anyway.

M

m1ks

The wing looks good, just a note, the wheels in pic 2 are a tad too big for scale accuracy :smiling3:

Shame about the pilot, I know Tamiya provide very well dtailed ones in their 48th scale boxes, you could always rob one from a cheap airfix kit?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
The wing looks good, just a note, the wheels in pic 2 are a tad too big for scale accuracy :smiling3:QUOTE]Yeah! I was thinking the axle was a bit long! lol

Gern

D

dm73

Cheers all, i thought the new wheel/axle configuration would help the hapless non pilots landing, o well back to the drawing board. Cheers Greg i'll have a look at Preiser. May put something in the wanted section, someone may have a pilot laying around in their spares box.

Darren

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Perhaps you can find an individual pilot set? Preiser might do a pack.
I'm looking out for pilot figures myself. I know Airfix and Revell do the sets but they both only have a couple of seated pilot figures - all the rest are standing. Preiser do lots of Luftwaffe and US sets but no RAF as far as I am aware.

Gern

PS Really good work on the damage!

D

dm73

Thanks Dave, i'll have a look about for some figures, cheers for the kind words means a lot coming from you seasoned modellers.

Ta

Darren

D

dm73

I found these if they are any use to anyone, i can't justify £5 or so just for 1 small figure but someone may be able to use the whole set The Model Catalogue - Pilots & Ground Crew RAF WWII by Revell (02401)

Cheers

Darren

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Darren

Loving the damaged Spit you've got going.

Surely someone's got a 1/72 pilot they could let you have?!!!

Looking forward to the finished build.

Cheers

PAul

D

dm73

Cheers Paul, will hopefully be able to get in the shed tonight and do a bit more to the spitfitre, may be able to get around the non pilot problem with a bad oil fire. Will have to suck it and see.

Darren

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking good Darren.

The Spitfire is coming along nicely, just read your post and the fact you are still looking for a pilot!

I had a look in my spares box with no luck, then I remembered I had a box of bits in the attic and in it was a 1/72 pilot figure.

If you want him, P/M me with your address and I will send him to you...er, £3.50 P/P sound fair?!!! lol

Cheers,

Ron

D

dm73

Ron, that would be great. I'll pm you my details right away.

Cheers

Darren

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Darren, glad to be of some help, can't have models on here that are not 100% what the modeller wanted!

I hope you didn't mis-interpret my tounge in cheek price, it comes f.o.c., of course..

I will send him off to you today.

Ron

D

dm73

Cheers Ron you are a scholar and a gentleman, i'll say that now because i've got a funny feeling i'll be cursing when i'm trying to paint him :emo:

D

dm73

Evening all, Just a little bit of an update, had a couple hours in the shed tonight so i thought i 'd better get on with the spitfire, i had the base coat already sprayed earlier in the week with valejo model air paints. Gave it a coat of gloss varnish and using micro sol applied the decals then another coat of varnish to seal them onto the plane. I then used a black wash to bring out the panel lines and give it that used look.

I also used a black acrylic to simulate an oil leak from the damaged engine, this will also be misted on to the canopy once Ron's pilot arrives safe and sound.

I thought i'd better give the poor bloke somewhere to land so i am just doing a small base showing a stone wall and what will be a wheat field.

All comments good and bad please.

View attachment 21504View attachment 21505View attachment 21506View attachment 21507View attachment 21508View attachment 21509View attachment 21510View attachment 21511

Cheers Darren

View attachment 28428

View attachment 28429

View attachment 28430

View attachment 28431

View attachment 28432

View attachment 28433

View attachment 28434

View attachment 28435

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0242.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A great looking spitfire. Like the damage loads, nice to see something different.

Regards

Colin M.

D

dm73

Cheers Colin, looking at the photos again i've decided to get myself a decent camera, i don't think my phone camera cuts it on these small close shots. Knowing less about cameras than i do about spitfires (not a lot). Is it macro or something to take close up shots??

Cheers

Darren