Normandy. A 1/16 Vignette

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Not sure how this will work out, but I thought I'd combine a couple of injection 1/16 figures from the stash in order to make up a little vignette:
100_2079.JPG100_2080.JPG

The first is Tamiya's 'elite' infantryman, which I attempted once in my early days and completely messed up. I may not paint it in camo, just field grey as the uniform pattern is basically the m1943 (really sick of camo at the moment).

The second is Dragon's Herman Goering signaller. I inadvertently bought two when I did by desert vignette and I thought this time I'd paint him as an SS trooper with one or two tweaks to the pose. However, if someone does have a different figure that they'd like to swap for it, I'm all ears.

Peter.

E

Evan James

Hi Peter, You must be running out of 1/16 figure options by now, haha!
ev

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Ev

Yes, I find myself revisiting kits I've made before. Very little new stuff has arrived on the market in the past few years, and what with Verlinden being defunct, the choice is getting smaller. Trouble is, with my eyesight, I really struggle with anything less than 1/16. May have to be busts from now on, though this scale is my first love.

Peter.

D

Deleted member 6559

100_2081.JPG100_2083.JPG

Here's a sprue shot of the first figure and the thing constructed and ready for painting. The fit of parts was good, though a lot of sanding was required to remove the seam and join lines. I suspect that this was one of the first in the range, as all of the equipment on the generic sprue fits particularly well and comes with fuller instructions. The separate fingers imply that the hands have to be built around the gun, but I took the risk of putting them together first and found that, luckily, the gun just slots into place.

Peter.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Simon - these should take a bit longer. May add more figures as well.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Normandie!
I will grab a seat and watch in eager anticipation. Good luck sir!
Steve

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
nice start,Peter,will look forward to seeing theses one,:smiling:

E

Evan James

He's looking good mate, With all the extra work of cleaning up injection plastic figures they do have the advantage of beautiful crisp equipment, that MP40 looks amazing.
ev

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Ev. I think Tamiya's 1/16 equipment even beats the resin rivals at this scale, but then again, you'd expect that from them.

F

Fenlander

Interesting to follow this Peter. I bought the DAK figure, with cactus and chameleon, earlier this year but I binned him as the face was a bit weird, looked more like caricature than a real face.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Graham

I agree about the DAK figure. It took me three attempts to get a completed version:

100_2086.JPG

Apart from the weird face, I found the boots impossible to paint, so replaced the legs with a Verlinden pair.

D

Deleted member 6559

The head's done (and no, Cpl Jones, he's not winking at you):

100_2087.JPG100_2088.JPG

This is a fairly typical Tamiya head - they all have such bushy eyebrows! Tamiya also tend to sculpt the iris and pupils, which makes the eyes much harder to paint and of gives fewer options for changing the expression. In this case though, he does need to be looking along the barrel of his gun, so fair do's.

Tamiya helmets also have full detail on the inside - liner, strap rings etc - but for some reason they don't depict the rivets and ventilators on the outside. Easy enough to fix with blobs of artist's acrylic.

Peter.

F

Fenlander

God knows how you managed to get tha DAK guy looking that good, the new legs make a huge difference but you got the face really nice. Mine looked more like the ‘Joker’ from Batman....... might consider another one but not DAK again lol

D

Deleted member 6559

100_2090.JPG100_2092.JPG100_2093.JPG

This is what he's looking like now. I would have taken him a bit further, but the paint is drying too fast in this warm weather (not something you can say often in the UK).

Peter.

F

Fenlander

This is what he's looking like now. I would have taken him a bit further, but the paint is drying too fast in this warm weather (not something you can say often in the UK).

Peter.
Looking good Peter, really nice definition. I would have to do all the jacket in one. I wouldn’t have the confidence to get the two parts the same :rolling: