Normandy, how i should of built it.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Hi all, after my feeble attempt Normandy GB (which was shocking to say the least) i thought i'd build something a little better than the someone stood in a cemetery. Plus, it's amazing what you can do when the Playstation network is down lol.

Here we go then, it's the Tamiya 1/35 Centaur Cs.Mk.IV and built staight out of the box. The only thing i did add was some Hobby Boss Cromwell tracks, these are single link tracks. Small but great to work with, it says on the box that 123 for each side but i had to take 6 links out so 117 gave the right amount of sag. With this Centaur being of the Royal Marines it's in Khaki instead of Olive Drab it made a nice change (thinking about it, it's still one colour lol), and sorry Ron i used the airbrush this time. Pre-shading and Khaki/klear on it was time for decals, now the hull was ok it was the turret that was the nightmare. The instructions say put the "degree markings" on before the turret lifting points, i didn't because of pre-shading and dry brushing so i had the cut the decals to fit. I did have a go at the hairspray technique though, hairspray then a light dust of a sandy yellow then played with water and brush to look like dust and dirt thats been walked on.

Four figures are from Miniart and needed a lot of work just to look right and the driver is Tamiya own, well, i wasn't going to cut into one of Miniart's figures just to look at his head lol. I just had to put the cat in, he's from Tamiya's German ammo loading crew i have in my stash. The building is from Miniart too (thanks John, it's took me a year to build it), a lot of cutting out to do but well worth the work.

View attachment 28403View attachment 28414View attachment 28408View attachment 28411View attachment 28404View attachment 28405View attachment 28415View attachment 28418View attachment 28417View attachment 28416View attachment 28413View attachment 28412View attachment 28410View attachment 28406View attachment 28409View attachment 28407

Have fun, John

View attachment 34021

View attachment 34022

View attachment 34023

View attachment 34024

View attachment 34025

View attachment 34026

View attachment 34027

View attachment 34028

View attachment 34029

View attachment 34030

View attachment 34031

View attachment 34032

View attachment 34033

View attachment 34034

View attachment 34035

View attachment 34036

DSCF6510.jpg

DSCF6517.jpg

DSCF6515.jpg

DSCF6518.jpg

2011-05-07 12.09.49.jpg

DSCF6512.jpg

2011-05-07 12.10.40.jpg

DSCF6521.jpg

DSCF6522.jpg

2011-05-07 12.07.27.jpg

DSCF6519.jpg

DSCF6516.jpg

DSCF6513.jpg

DSCF6514.jpg

2011-05-07 12.08.29.jpg

2011-05-07 12.06.55.jpg

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Hi'ya top marks on the dio love building and the tank is spot on with the men.I've used both kits mine aren't at your level but I'm still learning the men were actually on my last dio on here looking forward to seeing your nxt project

geegad

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Five star build that. Well done!

The cat was a nice touch.

Not much to add that has not been said already- Love the House; very well built and Painted.

I have a question. The markings around the top of the turret. Are they degrees of angle for aiming. Never seen that before.

Ian M

N

noble

\ said:
Hi all, after my feeble attempt Normandy GB (which was shocking to say the least) i thought i'd build something a little better than the someone stood in a cemetery. Plus, it's amazing what you can do when the Playstation network is down lol.Here we go then, it's the Tamiya 1/35 Centaur Cs.Mk.IV and built staight out of the box. The only thing i did add was some Hobby Boss Cromwell tracks, these are single link tracks. Small but great to work with, it says on the box that 123 for each side but i had to take 6 links out so 117 gave the right amount of sag. With this Centaur being of the Royal Marines it's in Khaki instead of Olive Drab it made a nice change (thinking about it, it's still one colour lol), and sorry Ron i used the airbrush this time. Pre-shading and Khaki/klear on it was time for decals, now the hull was ok it was the turret that was the nightmare. The instructions say put the "degree markings" on before the turret lifting points, i didn't because of pre-shading and dry brushing so i had the cut the decals to fit. I did have a go at the hairspray technique though, hairspray then a light dust of a sandy yellow then played with water and brush to look like dust and dirt thats been walked on.

Four figures are from Miniart and needed a lot of work just to look right and the driver is Tamiya own, well, i wasn't going to cut into one of Miniart's figures just to look at his head lol. I just had to put the cat in, he's from Tamiya's German ammo loading crew i have in my stash. The building is from Miniart too (thanks John, it's took me a year to build it), a lot of cutting out to do but well worth the work.

View attachment 28403View attachment 28414View attachment 28408View attachment 28411View attachment 28404View attachment 28405View attachment 28415View attachment 28418View attachment 28417View attachment 28416View attachment 28413View attachment 28412View attachment 28410View attachment 28406View attachment 28409View attachment 28407

Have fun, John
Very nice John 5 stars

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
They come with the model. they were used on d-day so they could fire of the landing craft im sure but don't quote me till someone else backs me up!!!!!!!

Geegad

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
I have a question. The markings around the top of the turret. Are they degrees of angle for aiming. Never seen that before.Ian M
Thanks For the five Ian, reet the degree markings. The ASG (Armored Support Group) was responsible for providing fire support to the infantry units used in the initial assault on the Normandy beaches. The tanks would fire while just off shore in the landing craft, they would then land and continue their work from the beach. "To assist in fire support, white degree markings were painted on the turret. The markings could be read by binocular equipped spotters, this helped align the turrets even if smoke obscured the direct line of sight to the target". The ASG was dispersed along the three landing areas of the 2nd British Army, Gold, Juno and Sword Beaches. The Centaurs were used to destroy beach obstacles, pill-boxes and other strongpoints that dotted the coastline.

The only thing is my brother-in-law was a Royal Marine (now NZDF) and don't take kindly to the Army giving orders lol so when this lot happen the ASG was told to stay on the beaches. But the Royal Marines ignored the order, re-grouped and were soon driving inland attacking targats of opportunity. As the beachhead was consolidated many of the Royal Marines including the ASG were withdrawn back to Britain, all are reported to have left Normandy by the end of June.

Thanks again everyone, the only problem now is where to put it lol. I really am running out of space.

Have fun, John

R

Richy C

That is the nuts John , looks superb mate little details like the moggy and climbing ivy bring it to life , the miniart buildings do turn into a nice dio but are hard work as I `ve found out myself , can`t fault it mate 5 stars from me

Richy

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi John

What a fabulous dio! Love the setting and layout of it. The detail is great too, love the ivy - photoetch?

It feels very natural even the guy climbing on the tank is just at the right height on the wall.

Very nice and a full 5 * from me

Cheers

P

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Thanks Paul, the Ivy's not PE mate. It's from Games Workshop of all places, i think it was something like £4 for something that looks small but once you've sorted it out you've got enough for five/six models.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice result John, I like it a lot.

So much so that I will forgive you just this once for admitting to having to resort to...I can't print it...an airbrush!!

Well done mate, big 5 for sure.

Keep having fun,

Ron