Not new, but I've been away for a while

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Welcome back Steve, amazing Scimitar and workshop.
Perhaps the mods could set up a 3D area, where thost like myself could learn the basics of not only the printing but how to use CAD etc - yes I am a neanderthal and despite the books and 'tutorials' bought/available the writers/producers seem to imagine that everyone can start fram D to Z instead of A. The same with the figure painting/assembly books, a lot of info there but nothing for the complete novice.
Untill then it is scratchbuilding for me.
Again superb work from you.

bowman

Steve Bellerby
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Welcome back Steve, amazing Scimitar and workshop.
Perhaps the mods could set up a 3D area, where thost like myself could learn the basics of not only the printing but how to use CAD etc - yes I am a neanderthal and despite the books and 'tutorials' bought/available the writers/producers seem to imagine that everyone can start fram D to Z instead of A. The same with the figure painting/assembly books, a lot of info there but nothing for the complete novice.
Untill then it is scratchbuilding for me.
Again superb work from you.
Hi Michael,
Like you, I struggled in the beginning with 3D CAD, as the packages that I tried were anything but intuitive. I finally settled on Autodesk Fusion 360, mainly because there is a free version which does most things that I think I need and its no more complicated that the other packages. It takes a lot of perseverance and trial and error, but I can now produce relatively simple components like track links and Scimitar road wheels, neither of which would I want to try scratchbuilding just because of the tedium.

I've also found that the Internet is a huge resource of CAD designs that can either be purchased or are absolutely free, and that don't really require any knowledge of 3D CAD. Websites like STL Finder give access to many thousands of designs.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've also found that the Internet is a huge resource of CAD designs that can either be purchased or are absolutely free, and that don't really require any knowledge of 3D CAD. Websites like STL Finder give access to many thousands of designs.
Steve,
Thingiverse & Cults are my first stop & Prusa's Printables.com has a few nice models. You have to wade through all the Fantasy & Space Wargaming stuff, as the titling of models isn't the best...........
Dave

bowman

Steve Bellerby
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Steve,
Thingiverse & Cults are my first stop & Prusa's Printables.com has a few nice models. You have to wade through all the Fantasy & Space Wargaming stuff, as the titling of models isn't the best...........
Dave
Dave,
I find Thingiverse very good, but not so much with Cults. The thing I like about STL Finder is the huge number of designs available in one place.
Steve

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hi Michael,
Like you, I struggled in the beginning with 3D CAD, as the packages that I tried were anything but intuitive. I finally settled on Autodesk Fusion 360, mainly because there is a free version which does most things that I think I need and its no more complicated that the other packages. It takes a lot of perseverance and trial and error, but I can now produce relatively simple components like track links and Scimitar road wheels, neither of which would I want to try scratchbuilding just because of the tedium.

Sorry for the late reply Steve,
Many thanks for that info I will give it a go and see where it leads.
Cheers
Mike.