Now about these calendar dates...

Should the duration for the Suggested GB's

• All be 12 months starting whenever they turn up?

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Different duration's depending on the complexity?

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Much as I do not approve, there is a movement towards the Suggested GB's all having a run time of twelve months. I believe I have made my view of this clear, but Its your forum.
I still think that the builds should be able to start at any time rather than all starting on the 1st of Jan.
Vote on it and we will take it from there.
If there are less than 25 votes, I will note act on the poll

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
there are some that need 12 months but most dont......people join in as soon as it starts and 2 months later pretty much every one has finished....when its spread over a long period of time and people join in as and when there dosnt feel that 'shared experience' as when everyone does it at the same time....hope that makes sense

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
there are some that need 12 months but most dont......people join in as soon as it starts and 2 months later pretty much every one has finished....when its spread over a long period of time and people join in as and when there dosnt feel that 'shared experience' as when everyone does it at the same time....hope that makes sense

I also see a lot of those that start dropping out as the time drags on.
lol I sort of think of it as a KITA. 12 months, loads of time...... 11 months later.. Oh crap I forgot about that. contra: OK three months! I better get on with it...

B

Builder

Apologies in advance Ian, much as you do not approve, I do approve.
If the person who makes the GB decides it should be 12 months, because a few of the members in that particular GB prefer that, why are you now going to change that based on a vote? The GB has got the members it needs, because it added the extended time frame in, and now it is approved.

Why should it matter if a GB is 6 months 12 months or 2 years, as long as the members in that particular GB prefer it, and it has been approved because it has the minimum number of members.

You made these GB's so that members could suggest whatever they wanted, they have, and I feel now that you are trying to change the very thing that makes these GBs great, the freedom to choose whatever you wish to build however you wish to build it,

I think this vote should not occur as:
- How do you know if the people voting here are the same people that partake in the GB's or not.
- The dates for the GB are decided by the person who creates it, and the people who wish to partake in it.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I also see a lot of those that start dropping out as the time drags on.
lol I sort of think of it as a KITA. 12 months, loads of time...... 11 months later.. Oh crap I forgot about that. contra: OK three months! I better get on with it...

agreed, and im guilty of it!....theres several ive said ive wanted to do but when the time has come theres already too many other things on the go or ive gone off the idea of what i was going to do so i just let the GB pass by

surely the whole idea of it being a 'group build' is that people build as a group?....cant do that if its spread over 12 months

another forum im on takes the approach of the GB is open ended,......there is no finish date.....however it must be started within a certain 2 month period......and like i have said before most will start thier build as soon as the start date passes and are finished within a month or two (we also take the approach of one single thread for the WIP, makes interesting reading when theres 6 or 7 or more people all showing what they are doing in one thread........finished stuff is shown in a 'GB Gallery' thread

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Now theres a great idea paul ! I like the set start date but no finish date thing , makes things a lot simpler. As you say most people who are keen will start at more or leas the same time so youve got the group feel but theres no pressure of an oncoming finish date

First Name
colin
Personally I like Paul's idea of everyone starting within a set time but with no fixed finish date.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
@Builder well it seems that you agree with me on most points. I do not want them all to run 12 months. And I most certainly don't want to change things up all over again. From comments I have read, it's just that more and more are commenting to the effect of 'if it's a full year, I could squeeze it in'.
I just want to know if that is really so.
I don't have any idea what your remark about changing what people want to build and how they build it comes from. I might suggest that a build needs to be more specific.
At the moment, it is not the person that posts the suggestion that is setting the time, it's those that reply saying if it's a year I'm in.
@beowulf some interesting points but I will say this now. Open ended GB's are not going to happen.
A part of the reason for this type of GB being started here on the forum was so I could spend more time building and less time administrating. A calendar full of builds with no end date would end as a nightmare.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
@beowulf some interesting points but I will say this now. Open ended GB's are not going to happen.
A part of the reason for this type of GB being started here on the forum was so I could spend more time building and less time administrating. A calendar full of builds with no end date would end as a nightmare.

no worries.......for info i am the GB Moderator on that forum so i know exactly the pain you feel!! :confused::confused::confused: its the people who ask really awkward questions just to find a way to bend the rules that p*** me off :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

we find it isnt a problem.....everyone starts in the two months stipulated and to be honest like ive said, everyone is normally done within 2 months..............any one who takes longer than 2 months to do a model needs to get their finger out and get on with it, in my book!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
From comments I have read, it's just that more and more are commenting to the effect of 'if it's a full year, I could squeeze it in'.
I just want to know if that is really so.

Wouldn't have said it if I didn't mean it...

any one who takes longer than 2 months to do a model needs to get their finger out and get on with it, in my book!

Your book doesn't allow for shift workers who spend a lot of time away from home but wish to contribute to a GB. Not everyone had the luxury of public holidays and weekends off.

Can't believe I'm reading this thread actually.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Your book doesn't allow for shift workers who spend a lot of time away from home but wish to contribute to a GB. Not everyone had the luxury of public holidays and weekends off.

Can't believe I'm reading this thread actually.

im a shift worker....now do days and backs, used to do nihts as well, and i work plenty of weekends cos of it, i used to do continentals, glad i dont any more

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well as this thread has the potential to get ugly I think I might do the smart thing and pull the plug on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.