Oil Paint Rendering

J

John Rixon

A brief interlude from painting and weathering my Dragon Tiger, I was a little wary of trying out a new technique on an expensive kit, so I dragged a lost-cause T-62 from the shelf of shame! I lost interest in this build after a real "meh" paint job, that just wasn't doing it for me. So, I gave it a blast with the old rattle can primer and decided to put Michael Rinaldi's techniques to the test. However, as it was an experiment, I thought Id paint the green in the Grumpa method, using cheap hobby shop acrylics, applied very thin with a brush. My first impressions are that the painting works perfectly for tanks, at least, you'd struggle with some aircraft builds, but for tanks, it works!

IMG_2629.jpg

This was after 3 coats, and remember, there is a full paint job under the primer, so some detail is lost with this one. But on a fresh surface, it'll be fine.

After the base coat was good (about 5-6 coats) I started on the oil rendering. I bought about 6 tubes of Abteilung 502 oils from John, despite already having all of the colours in "Cotman" oils - this because both Rinaldi and others emphasise that these oils are created for this use, I was a bit sceptical, but this turned out to be so true! - they are beautifully creamy and smooth, perfect for brushing out until nearly invisible, which is key to success in this process.

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg

IMG_2669.jpg

So I spent 2 days tinkering with it until I figured I had done enough, and it was fresh in my head before tackling the Tiger tomorrow.

Needless to say I'm hooked! The last shot has had a fair bit of pigment action, but the whole thing has been done with brushes and despite the loss of surface detail caused by not being arsed to strip it, I feel it has served a really valuable purpose.

As soon as my pension comes in this month, I'm gonna buy a few more of those Abteilung oils, only need about 5 more. the potential appears huge to me.

And a tip of my cap to Grumpa, his painting technique is really flexible, controllable and, most of all, cheap as chips!

Edit to add this:

IMG_2672.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4539

Thanks for that John.

Its always a buzz trying something new and it works.

D

dubster72

Good to get an opinion on the Abteilung 502 paints John. I've often wondered if they were more than just a hyped up product.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
My question is do these oils do anything that good quality artists oils don't do? I already have a substantial number of artist's oils inherited some years ago which I use for this sort of thing. I find that they can be thinned and diffused, virtually to the point of disappearing, with no problems at all. What exactly is the manufacturer claiming for the Abteilung oils that others don't already do?

Cheers

Steve

J

John Rixon

\ said:
My question is do these oils do anything that good quality artists oils don't do? I already have a substantial number of artist's oils inherited some years ago which I use for this sort of thing. I find that they can be thinned and diffused, virtually to the point of disappearing, with no problems at all. What exactly is the manufacturer claiming for the Abteilung oils that others don't already do?
Cheers

Steve
They simply claim that they are created for modelling use, of course, I was quoting other model makers Steve, your oil paints are fine, especially as you've a long term experience of them. My observation with these paints is, that they will ensure more success from beginners, as they are super-smooth and creamy. They blend very quickly with thinner, and that blend seems to not separate readily. I tinkered with oil rendering earlier this year, but something wasn't gelling. First strokes with the Abteilungs and I was feeling much more confident. Using the same brush, winton oils became more streaky and revealed the brush strokes a lot. I guess they're not for everyone, nor is oil paint rendering, but if it is, I heartily recommend them.

Last edited:
J

John Rixon

\ said:
Thanks for that John.
Its always a buzz trying something new and it works.
Sure is. I feel so excited by this, that I've been making copious notes about the process, help hone it etc!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks for the additional info John. It makes perfect sense. As an aircraft modeller I use oils for subtle weathering effects and do tend to work them almost to vanishing (if that makes sense).

I find the knack is really in the amount of thinners you have in the brush. The technique I use works best with almost none and very little paint. One of the advantages of using oils like this is that should it all go the way of an inverted female you can easily remove it all and start again....ask me how I know :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve