One down, plenty left to silence! The bunker treatment...

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Back in 2010, I did a large diorama of Iwo Jima. This proved too big to keep, so I kept the plastic bits and binned the base. I recently found the tank that was on the original, lost and forgotten in a box, so as it was raining, I decided yesterday to make a small 1/35 dio. resurrecting the tank.

I had in my minds' eye a Japanese concrete bunker that had been attacked with a flame thrower and then had a satchel charge thrown in to it. The vegetation has caught fire and the bunker scorched with the heat from the flame thrower.

Lately, I've had enough of seeing media pictures of dead bodies lying around, so for this model, I didn't include any dead or 'alive' people......The build is made up of bits and bobs, plus some sand from a bag in the shed.

Here is the destroyed, scorched bunker.

odds and sods 2 124.jpg

odds and sods 2 119.jpg

odds and sods 2 117.jpg

odds and sods 2 118.jpg

...and tank tracks added whilst the sand was still wet.

odds and sods 2 123.jpg

The tank was a bit battered with bits missing and knocked off, so I've re-vamped it, added bits and re-painted and weathered it too. It is olive drab under all the s**t!

I had great fun slinging sand at the running gear (PVA'd first) The boards look as though they are sitting on the tracks, but they are actually outboard of them. The sandbags are home made.

Anyway, here is the finished Sherman. I know nothing about this type of tank, so if any 'experts' spot 'owt wrong don't blame me, I just have fun sticking things together!

odds and sods 2 106.jpg

odds and sods 2 112.jpg

odds and sods 2 111.jpg

odds and sods 2 107.jpg

odds and sods 2 113.jpg

Here is the finished model. Just a nice size to fit on a shelf in my den.

odds and sods 2 110.jpg

odds and sods 2 116.jpg

odds and sods 2 121.jpg

I hope you approve of this 'quicky', shelf size resurrection.

Thanks for looking.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
J

John Rixon

Looks terrific Ron, I keep meaning to get of my arse and make a dio one day, there's certainly enough inspiration on this forum, and the standard is superb!

D

Deleted member 3568

Great stuff Ron as usual, I often think quick builds look better than ones that take months (well in my case anyway)

Like I said great work Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks John, if just one diorama newbie turns up to have a go, then I'll be well happy. It could be you!

Ken, you are dead right. I find that rather like the old euruka moment, it's best to dive in straight away. Get going and fling stuff around.

I suspect - no, I know, there are plenty of members on here who want to have a go at this crazy world of dioramas, and I honestly don't know what's stopping them. I suspect they have a sort of block about how to start and probably are worried they might make a cat's a**e of it. To those people I can only advise them to please, have a go. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate. A road, wall, a simple building or bridge.

Watching my dioramas comes to life, as ideas come along is just magic. There is no secret recipe. The only necessity is having the confidence to have a go....Remember the first kit we built, the first decal we stuck on, the first weathering we attempted....I can't do that! But we did. Dioramas are exactly the same - but easier.

Here endeth the Lesson. Please leave your contribution in the plate on the way out. Cash only and no sweet wrappers.

Stay safe Brothers and Sister.

Rev. A. Wildeebeestee

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
do real like this one,Ron,says what it dose need to say with out the dead,

always like your work,and your use of roots and real bits and bobs,sticks,

very well done, ;)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers Monica, I'm glad you like it.

Problem is, I've used yet another wooden BBQ skewer for this and hopefully summer is coming up soon, so I'll have to get some replacements or I'll be in serious trouble!

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Thanks John, if just one diorama newbie turns up to have a go, then I'll be well happy. It could be you!
Ken, you are dead right. I find that rather like the old euruka moment, it's best to dive in straight away. Get going and fling stuff around.

I suspect - no, I know, there are plenty of members on here who want to have a go at this crazy world of dioramas, and I honestly don't know what's stopping them. I suspect they have a sort of block about how to start and probably are worried they might make a cat's a**e of it. To those people I can only advise them to please, have a go. It doesn't have to be anything elaborate. A road, wall, a simple building or bridge.

Watching my dioramas comes to life, as ideas come along is just magic. There is no secret recipe. The only necessity is having the confidence to have a go....Remember the first kit we built, the first decal we stuck on, the first weathering we attempted....I can't do that! But we did. Dioramas are exactly the same - but easier.

:smiling3:

Here endeth the Lesson. Please leave your contribution in the plate on the way out. Cash only and no sweet wrappers.

Stay safe Brothers and Sister.

Rev. A. Wildeebeestee
It is a confidence thing definitely for me Ron. I get the ideas for what I want to build. I can see what I want in my mind and I can mentally rub out the bits I know I would struggle with (like trees....) but I can so easily talk myself into not starting it. And yes, making a cats a**e of it is a big factor.

Today, I bought a pack of cork 'rubble' from the local railway model shop to have a go at 'improving' the MiniArt base building I did for the Waffenträger. On the way home I was working out what I was going to do with it but I found something else to do instead. I just need a creative kick up the backside :sad:

I have always admired the way you build yours, seemingly out of nothing. I will always remember the canal side scene you did. All the little buildings made from card and the bridge over the canal. You showed us just about every stage of creating that one and you made it look so easy.

It is a skill, an artistic skill that you have and as always, this one is a pleasure to see. All I can say is that one day, maybe one day, I will have a go and when it turns out like a cats a**e I shall declare it a diorama of a cats a**e :smiling3:

First Name
Stuart
I

\ said:
Back in 2010, I did a large diorama of Iwo Jima. This proved too big to keep, so I kept the plastic bits and binned the base. I recently found the tank that was on the original, lost and forgotten in a box, so as it was raining, I decided yesterday to make a small 1/35 dio. resurrecting the tank.
I had in my minds' eye a Japanese concrete bunker that had been attacked with a flame thrower and then had a satchel charge thrown in to it. The vegetation has caught fire and the bunker scorched with the heat from the flame thrower.

Lately, I've had enough of seeing media pictures of dead bodies lying around, so for this model, I didn't include any dead or 'alive' people......The build is made up of bits and bobs, plus some sand from a bag in the shed.

Here is the destroyed, scorched bunker.

View attachment 152663

View attachment 152664

View attachment 152665

View attachment 152666

...and tank tracks added whilst the sand was still wet.

View attachment 152667

The tank was a bit battered with bits missing and knocked off, so I've re-vamped it, added bits and re-painted and weathered it too. It is olive drab under all the s**t!

I had great fun slinging sand at the running gear (PVA'd first) The boards look as though they are sitting on the tracks, but they are actually outboard of them. The sandbags are home made.

Anyway, here is the finished Sherman. I know nothing about this type of tank, so if any 'experts' spot 'owt wrong don't blame me, I just have fun sticking things together!

View attachment 152668

View attachment 152669

View attachment 152670

View attachment 152671

View attachment 152672

Here is the finished model. Just a nice size to fit on a shelf in my den.

View attachment 152675

View attachment 152677

View attachment 152678

I hope you approve of this 'quicky', shelf size resurrection.

Thanks for looking.

Ron
it looks absolutely fab to me Ron,

I love Sherman tanks but not built one yet, and the concrete bunker looks great