Operation Goodwood: the assault on villages of Bras and Hubert Folie

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Everyone

Well, Normandy it is and, well... where do you start?!!!

I've got soooooooo many kits that could fit this title it's been really tough choosing a subject. Kits that were in the running included: various landing craft, a Churchill AVRE, the Tamiya 1/16 RC Tiger (that I'm converting to the late Tiger) and countless dioramas on beaches and of the Atlantic Wall.

In the end I've decided to use the GB to both finish off a couple of projects I already had started and to try and model something I discussed with Graham some time ago. This discussion was centred around modelling 1/72 tanks at realistic distances of engagement. In the end I/we realised that the scale distance would be huge. For instance; say a Tiger engages at 1400 metres (which is not the furthest reach of this beast) then this would result in a scale distance of roughly 20 metres - approx 60 feet!

Now because I don't have a spare aircraft hanger to house such a project and the 'dead space' between the elements would be colossal, and would be of no interest, I'm going to use a fair it of artistic license and squeeze the dio a bit.

With this in mind this is the plan...

I'm going to try and depict part of Operation Goodwood on 1/72. The dio will show 3rd Royal Tank Regiment (29th Armoured Brigade, 11th Armoured Div) attacking the village of Bras on the way to the Bourguebus Ridge.

Although the distances will be a bit squashed the finished dio will still be some 5' x 3', basically the size of our dining table - the restricting factor!

Now I know what you're probably thinking, 'where the hell are you going to store this thing?' Well, I'm going to try and design a modular system that fits together some how. In this way I can model a 1' 8" x 3' piece and split it into 3.

Now to the subject matter...

...I'm going to finish the 1/72 builds (+ a few others) I started in the Armour Non GB. These include:-

Sherman V, Firefly VC, Panther G, 2 x Stug IIIs, Sd Kfz 210, Opel Blitz, Pak 40 and an 88mm + lots of little figures.

I'm also going to use the GB to finish off the Typhoon projects I started a little while ago. These include the MDC 1/32 kit, the Hasegawa 1/48 kit and will now be joined by a wheels-up 1/72 Academy version!

To tie up all these disparate pieces this is the final idea.

The completed piece(s) I'm going to try to present in a kind 'comic book' story style, in this way I can use all the models to tell a short story. This, in some ways, is a bit like the 'storyboard dioramas' as described by John Reid in his superb thread.

Essentially what I'm trying to do is tell a short story with as much historical and modelling accuracy as I can.

Well that the plan, here's the start - some of the kits under construction

View attachment 23416

PS. I hope I'm not cheating by including some already started models - there'll be plenty of construction stuff to see including part of a French village, so I thought you wouldn't mind!

Hope you like the plan

Paul

View attachment 30058

Goodwood Kis 01.jpg

Goodwood Kis 01.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I like it alot! talk about going for it!!! Its a great idea paul and im sure its going to be amazing , i dont know how you find the time though, i didnt manage to get anything done for the 1/72 armour non GB, and you got about half a dozen started!!! good luck mate, cant wait to see it, cheers tony

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Tony! I've developed a bit of a fondness for 1/72 and something of a technique to finish them relatively quickly. They make a refreshing change to the more labour-intensive, larger scale models, and because the emphasis on this build will be in the macro and not the micro they don't require every rivet to be shown (unlike the MDC Tiffy). Building the 2 along side each other should be a good balance.

The Tiger (shown) took an afternoon and an evening to put together and painting all of the ones shown only took one evening. Admittedly there's no camo yet, no detail painting or decals but I still think that's fairly quick. If you like I'll demonstrate my technique for building these little kits up quickly.

Hope you've had a good Xmas Tony and hope your 2011 is a good one.

Al the best

Paul

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Well Paul, you've got my attention as you've mentioned the 3rd Royal Tank Regiment (Gone but not forgotten). Looking forward seeing the build and i story matey.

Have fun, John

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers John

I'm no 3rd RTR expert so, if you feel there are any inaccuracies, please tell me because I'd like to get it right and I really enjoy the historical side to the hobby too.

Cheers

Paul

B

Bunkerbarge

Wow, that sounds like quite an undertaking. I like the way the dining room table defines the parameters! We all have our limits in some form or another!

Looking forward to seeing how you go about this.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Paul, just like your Kursk (Cross of Iron) diorama, we are in for a treat.

This is one ambitious project and one which I am sure you will make a superb job of.......No pressure then?!!! lol

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks guys

Richard: Yep the battle for Caen centres on our dining table, just after tea! Seriously though, I think that's big enough!!!

Ron: Any suggestions on build are gratefully received! As Hannibal from the A-team says, 'I love it when a plan comes together', the trouble is this plan hasn't really been completely thought through yet!

Anyway, there's only one way to see if this can work!

Paul

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
\ said:
I'm no 3rd RTR expert
Nor am i Paul lol, it was me Dad in the Regiment driving the Centurion hence my user name. I'll see what info i can get you though matey, but you know what a legend is? Rumour plus time.

Have fun, John

R

rogue-one

my word!!?! i've been off the forum for a few months and come back to find your doing a dio the size of a dinning table!? what can i say? top stuff! i like this idea of it being in 3 parts. this is gonna be some work. it'll be great to watch it come together! looking forward to it.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi everyone

Unfortunately it's looking unlikely that I'll be able to finish my Dining table dio in the allotted 3 months. Present work commitments mean I just won't be anywhere near completing this by March 31st. I'm therefore going to reign in the ambitions a little and concentrate on the Typhoon builds.

I apologise to John in advance for the slight change of tack but the 1/72 kits are still ear marked for the initial project. I hope I haven't disappointed anyone.

Al the best

Paul

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Put down the knife and step away from the model!!!...

No I'm not going to murder Naomi Cambell but I've come dangerously close to binning the MDC Typhoon.

I haven't updated this build in a while because basically I've spent the last 4 weeks (on and off) applying the rivets to the fuselage and wings!!! So I'm sorry in future if anybody wants a moan about how long individual tracks links take to complete then I have no sympathy!!! Anyway, enough of that back to the story...

Completed the rivets on the fuselage today and was really excited at finally being able to attach the wings. However, it seems I was a bit too eager as I forgot to glue the wheel wing ends to the wings before fitting to the fuselage, DOH!!!!!

I have been kicking myself for hours.

After a bruising hour or so I calmed down a bit and tried to fit the wheel well ends post wing attachment - not much luck. Out came the plastic card and I've managed, after a lot of struggling, to blank off one side. This one side isn't perfect and I'm considering removing the inner ribbing from the wheel well so that I may be able to get the insert perfectly flat, I can then replace the ribbing fabricated from plastic card.

There's still a lot of work to do to get the wings to be perfectly flush and the lines good but I'm prepared to put in the effort because I do think this kit will be worth it.

Anyhoo

Here's some pics of the howler of a mistake and the rivets, which again aren't perfect but should add a lot under the paint work.

Cheers

Paul

View attachment 23807View attachment 23808View attachment 23809View attachment 23810View attachment 23811View attachment 23812

View attachment 30402

View attachment 30403

View attachment 30404

View attachment 30405

View attachment 30406

View attachment 30407

MDC wings on 03.jpg

MDC wings on 06.jpg

MDC wings on 04.jpg

MDC wings on 02.jpg

MDC wings on 01.jpg

MDC wings on 05.jpg