Operation Market Garden (1/35)

First Name
Stuart
Hi,

I've been lurking here for a bit and getting a lot of inspiration, so I thought I'd post my second diorama now it's finally finished. Although after looking at the pics I've spotted a few touch ups that need doing (amazing how much detail a macro lens can pick up).

The first diorama I made with an SU-85 was a bit of a disaster, but I learnt a lot from it. One of the problems was it was too big and I couldn't get colour and texture looking right on the large open areas. Hopefully I haven't gone too far in the opposite direction with this one, and crammed too much into the scene.

The Tiger is from Dragon, the building is half of Miniart's Belgian house, the paras and two of the Germans are from Miniart, and the remaining German soldiers are from an ICM set. Oh, and the tank commander is from a Tamiya set.

Originally the tree and the wounded soldier weren't going to be there, but the space next to the house looked a bit empty. The wounded soldier isn't actually a paratrooper model (no Denison smock) - I took him from Miniart British tank riders set and just painted him like the others. Hopefully it isn't too noticeable.

Any feedback welcome and appreciated. I hope you enjoy the pics.

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1244.jpg

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1243.jpg

IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

J

Jens Andrée

Nice one Stuart!

Top marks for the demolished building and the rubble! In fact your rubble in and around the house is spot on!
I also like the over all composition with the Tiger I and the figures. Good level coverage and use of angles!

Some constructive pointers are that the figures and the Tiger I would look more alive with a wash or two since they're a bit clean at the moment.
A wash also highlights all the detail so that's something that comes for free as well ;)

It took me many kits before I figured out why my models looked so different from all the fantastic ones I saw on pictures and it was that my stuff was simply too clean.
My best model to date is my Mk.IV that I had to weather down much more than intended after a miserable failure with hairspray chipping, but after trying to cover the failure with dirt, mud, grime and rust it started to look more like those pictures I loved and what I hoped to achieve one day and I learned a lot from that moment.
I make most of my washes myself with ordinary artists oil paint and thinner. Super easy and simple to clean up in areas where I put too much on. Burned umber and raw umber are the two "universal" dirt 'em up colours I use and it's taken my models to the next step - but I've still got a long way to go yet but I try to learn from the previous project and bring that with me to the next. Failing means that I've learned something new!

If this is truly your second vignette/diorama then bl**dy well done!

First Name
Stuart
Thanks for the comments, Jens. Yes, I spent ages on my first diorama and it turned out quite bad. It just didn't look right. It took me a while to realise that it was a series of small things - the colour was too uniform, I didn't use any flat coat so it was too glossy, the composition wasn't really right, and there wasn't enough attention to detail - too many empty areas. So I spent a lot of time trying to get those aspects right on this one!

You're completely right about the washes - it's an area I haven't had much success with. In fact, one of the figures has been washed - but obviously not very well/effectively! I tried an oil based wash (raw/burnt umber - whichever is the lighter of the two) on the guy who is being searched. What I have tended to find is that the wash darkens the overall figure a little (although you can't see it very much in the photos) but doesn't tend to bring out any of the details much. I think maybe I am thinning the paint too much. I also used water mixable oil paints, thinned with water - maybe this doesn't help.

A basic question - but when you wash a vehicle, do you just use the wash on the details and panel lines (pin wash?) or do you wash the entire vehicle to dirty it up? Or is your paint so thin that it flows into the recesses anyway and leaves the high areas?

Thanks for the comments and the advice - appreciated!

J

Jens Andrée

Thanks for the comments, Jens. Yes, I spent ages on my first diorama and it turned out quite bad. It just didn't look right. It took me a while to realise that it was a series of small things - the colour was too uniform, I didn't use any flat coat so it was too glossy, the composition wasn't really right, and there wasn't enough attention to detail - too many empty areas. So I spent a lot of time trying to get those aspects right on this one!

You're completely right about the washes - it's an area I haven't had much success with. In fact, one of the figures has been washed - but obviously not very well/effectively! I tried an oil based wash (raw/burnt umber - whichever is the lighter of the two) on the guy who is being searched. What I have tended to find is that the wash darkens the overall figure a little (although you can't see it very much in the photos) but doesn't tend to bring out any of the details much. I think maybe I am thinning the paint too much. I also used water mixable oil paints, thinned with water - maybe this doesn't help.

A basic question - but when you wash a vehicle, do you just use the wash on the details and panel lines (pin wash?) or do you wash the entire vehicle to dirty it up? Or is your paint so thin that it flows into the recesses anyway and leaves the high areas?

Thanks for the comments and the advice - appreciated!
It depends on the model how I use washes. On figures I use a dark wash all over the figure that serves as my shadows, then I paint the highlights after the was has dried. I mainly use Tamiya black panel liner for this.
For armour I use oil paint + thinner wash and it depends on the model if I slob it on all over or just focus on the details, but a light wash can also act as a filter so there are several bonuses with washes!
Focus on the details first and then build up your experience by how it turns out, that's a good way to start I think.
War is filthy and staying clean whilst in combat - especially back in the days when we fought closely, so there's going to be a lot of mud and dirt from crawling around dodging bullets. Tanks were often very dirty with mud, dirt and splashes and this from top to bottom, but obviously heaviest around the tracks so don't be afraid to give your tank a proper mud bath! ;)

Apart from this it's just a matter of doing what you think gives you the result you're after and then evaluating everything at the end and see if there's anything you'd done differently?
I take photos of my builds throughout the stages just to document for myself what I've done and if I did something wrong? That's how I remember certain steps for the next build.

In the end of the day it's all about paint and colours. Some have the ability like a true artist to paint in every little detail whereas we others have to cheat with washes etc to create plausible shadows etc ;)
I try to do things manually where I can but when it comes to dirtying up a tank nothing beats an old worn brush just slobbing on mud and grime because that's how it looks in real life!

First Name
Stuart
Thanks Jen. I've an old Dragon Hummel in progress at the moment (a $5 bargain!), so I will go to town on it experimenting with those techniques.

B

Builder

Great job stuart,

for washes, have a look, I just uploaded my weathering work on a Tamiya 1/35 Gama Goat. I have used 2 kinds of washes, Tamiya Panel line wash and Vallejo streaking grime. I used them both in the same manner. I first apply small drops to the top portion of the area where I wish to show the effects and then using a flat brush and thinners (in case of Tamiya Panel line wash I use Turp as thinner and for Vallejo streaking grime I use Windex as thinner), I gently just pull the drops downward creating streaking lines

Check out my build thread

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/tamiya-1-35-m792-gama-goat-ambulance-truck.29248/