Opinions Please - Does This Weathering Look Right

malvern_man

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Hi all,

I've just finished building and weathering my 1/35 scale AK Interactive boxes/crates ( they're the laser cut wood ones that you have to build yourself )

I've just finished the weathering on them, my first time weathering wood and I was wondering if you think that they look ok or do they need anything else adding weathering wise before I remove them the wooden sticks.

Regards, Chris.

20231202_125313.jpg20231202_125125.jpg

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Nothing wrong with them as old weathered boxes. For new ones I first paint the box with a Buff colour and then once dry brush on so Burnt Umber oil. Then use a bit of sponge to wipe off the oil along the grain. This leaves a natural wood effect.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I agree with the above comments: they look like old and forgotten boxes, rather than ones that are fairly new and actually in use. If you’re after the former, the paintwork is fine :smiling3:

malvern_man

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Hi all,

Thank you for the replies and for your opinions.

They did actually come out a little darker than I really wanted. I've got another set of crates on the go at the moment so I'll make sure these end up a lot lighter in colour.

Regards, Chris.

malvern_man

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Thank you all for the comments, I'm very happy with how my second attempt turned out.

Regards, Chris.