Original photo help wanted

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I got a Tamiya 1/48 Dambusters Lanc at Coventry so I've been looking at it with a view to doing something a little different. I came upon this build by Brett Green:

Avro Lancaster MR.3 by Brett Green (Revell 1/72)

I don't fancy trying to do this with my Tamiya kit but I've got the old Revell kit that Brett used which wouldn't hurt me so much if I got it all wrong!

I think it's beautiful and I may be able to get the decals. I'd love to be able to do this one for the Photo GB but unfortunately I can't find any pics of the original.

Can anyone help please?

Gern

First Name
Dave
This probably wont be much help but theres a photo on Airliners.net page 173.This aircraft SW327 coded H-N was an MR3 operating from RAF St Mawgan in 1956.Talking of Brett Green,have you seen his videos on you tube?.They are under the tittle 'Testors scale workshop'.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I found some a while back. Try searching for Lancaster coastal command or Lancaster SAR.I think that you can still get a conversion set for the tail fins and the life boat.I will see if I can find them when I get home later.Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi folks. I'm still trying to get this photo but I've managed to get some more details.

According to the decals sheet from Xtradecals, the particular Lanc I want to do was based at RAF Kinloss in 1949 with 120 Squadron. The serial number was RF289.

Their reference is from Scale Aircraft Modelling Vol 6 No 2 from November 1983.

Gern

PS John: Can you get Xtradecals? If so, how much for their sheet number 72061?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks Ian. I spotted that one but you can't get the numbers from the decal sheet I've seen.

Money is too tight for me to spend it on getting multiple decal sheets for one build - particularly as 1/72 is not my normal scale so it's unlikely I'd ever use the rest.

Still, I'll give it another day or so. I can always just build it without it going in the GB.

Gern

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Just ordered the decals for this one. As I've had no luck with pictures, it won't go in the GB unfortunately but I'll post some pics as and when (it won't be a full build log though).

If I can get it looking about one tenth as good as the one Brett did I'll be well chuffed!

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave, I've just picked up on your thread (Been on walkabout) Good luck with the build.

Is there no way round you not joining in the Photo G.B.?

We need Gern in on it 'cos it won't be the same without him.....

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Dave, I've just picked up on your thread (Been on walkabout) Good luck with the build. Is there no way round you not joining in the Photo G.B.?

We need Gern in on it 'cos it won't be the same without him.....

Ron
Nice of you to say so Ron, but rules is rules. I'll be with the GB in spirit if not in body!

Anyway, it's good to see you back. While you've been away, have you worked out how you're gonna fit all those blue fluffy sheep into your next dio? :lol

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Nice of you to say so Ron, but rules is rules. I'll be with the GB in spirit if not in body!Anyway, it's good to see you back. While you've been away, have you worked out how you're gonna fit all those blue fluffy sheep into your next dio? :lol

Gern
Thanks Dave, it's good to be back, 50+ degrees even for one day is ridiculous....!I know honest Burghers of our realm don't break rules but can't you find a pickie of your Lanc with the decals you have ordered?

Sounds like a job for the boys of S.M.!...Unless I've totally misread your thread and subsequent posts. Which is highly likely, knowing the present state of the dormant organ on my shoulders!!

Ah, the blue sheep....

Unfortunately, when the squad snatched them in Afghanistan and slung them into the Unimog, the owner of the house couldn't comply with the leader's request for mint sauce, so the lads didn't fancy mutton without this vital ingredient. So they gave the animals back to the Afghan, all nicely butchered and labelled ready for his freezer, which he and his missus nicked from the I.S.A.F. base a few weeks earlier.

What I'm trying to say is I don't need them sitting on my Tiger's hull....I don't know though!

Cheers,

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Dave/Gern.

I have made a post in the important info re the summer GB. I doubt if there will be objection that I bring it up here.

The long and the short of it is this. It is proving next to impossible to find 100% matches of subject photos to kits.

Please Refer to rule #1 re GB subjects- THE MOD HAS THE FIRST AND LAST WORD!!!!

Please feel free to build Your Lancaster in this GB. Its the same model and type, even the paint it the same. The only thing askew is that darn serial number and ID code. If any objections are made by any other participants in the GB I will take their arguements into consideration after they have shown that the build they are doing has the identical serial, frame, engine, works, registration and log book number as the one in their photo!!! :tongue-out:

Now get on with it!!!

Ian M