P-47 Thunderbolt 1/8th construction

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Andy,

I congratulate you on a job very well done, you have certainly done this kit justice. The final pics with the dummy engine really top it off nicely. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through this build and wish you every success with this one.

If you could get some nice outdoor poses of the model fully assembled that would be awesome.

It certainly deserves to win at the shows after all your hard effort. I wish you best of luck with this one and am looking forwards to the show pics and the flight pics too !!

Thanks for sharing it all with us. No doubt the hits will still continue to come as the Razorback is a popular subject and by now yours will be high in the Google rankings linking to this site.

I can only imagine the B25 is going to be even more awesome and I look forwards to that too.

Regards.......Mark

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi Andy,I congratulate you on a job very well done, you have certainly done this kit justice. The final pics with the dummy engine really top it off nicely. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through this build and wish you every success with this one.

If you could get some nice outdoor poses of the model fully assembled that would be awesome.

It certainly deserves to win at the shows after all your hard effort. I wish you best of luck with this one and am looking forwards to the show pics and the flight pics too !!

Thanks for sharing it all with us. No doubt the hits will still continue to come as the Razorback is a popular subject and by now yours will be high in the Google rankings linking to this site.

I can only imagine the B25 is going to be even more awesome and I look forwards to that too.

Regards.......Mark
Hi Mark,

Thank you for your kind words, i have enjoyed sharing this build with you all as much as you all have enjoyed following the thread. Its a great forum you have here mate and i will stay for ever. Thank you to everyone who has checked out my first project and for all the kind and generous comments, Thank You.

The weekend should be good. I intend to get there early on Sunday so that i can get the Jug on the run way and get you all some great scale shots with a proper back drop. It is a shame that you havent seen the Thunderbolt fully assembled but i havent either, im saving that great moment fot the feild where i can appreciate her in her finest. I will post a shot of ever angle for you all to see.

The B25 is in the box and in the workshop right now. This time i will log all of the time spent on the build. I have to take a break for a week and do some work on the loft. Then i will be at it all over again. I have opted for electric on this one, as it is less likely to be a problem when it come to twin glow engines. Less chance of a stall, perfect RPM match due to the speed controller plus other options a beginner like me dont know about. I would prefer glow, but im too green to take ant risks. 2000 hours is a long time spent... too lomg to see it plough into the ground.

Thank you all again for your support, keep up the good work.

Andy:respect2:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi andy congrats on finishing the jug! you must be so chuffed/relieved/exhausted .if it does'nt win first prize at your show then its a fix.I cant wait to see the video of its first flight .btw is the b25 1/8 scale too,if it is it'll be massive!! once again ,well done,give yourself a big pat on the back (and a large cold beer!) cheers tony :welldone::beer:

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
hi andy congrats on finishing the jug! you must be so chuffed/relieved/exhausted .if it does'nt win first prize at your show then its a fix.I cant wait to see the video of its first flight .btw is the b25 1/8 scale too,if it is it'll be massive!! once again ,well done,give yourself a big pat on the back (and a large cold beer!) cheers tony :welldone::beer:
Thanks Tony, you are a good freind. Im not sure now if there will be any judging on Sunday, nothing more has been mentioned. Anyway, im looking forward to getting some fantastic pics for you all... i wont be disapointed.

The B25 is a 1/8 scale, but at the moment, im having second thoughts and am about to look on the Yellow web site to see if something else catches my eye even more. I will let you know.

Thanks again

Andy

G

Gladiator111

Congrats on the completion Andy, sooo looking forward to seeing the Jug in the air and on the runway. Look forward to the next build and all the detailed installments you have spent time sharing with us. Cheers mate.

Chris

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Congrats on the completion Andy, sooo looking forward to seeing the Jug in the air and on the runway. Look forward to the next build and all the detailed installments you have spent time sharing with us. Cheers mate.Chris
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. Im as excited as you to see the jug in the air. You have to remember that i am a novice and about to learn to fly. There wont be too much of a delay in seeing her fly though. Im going to get an experience member to maiden fly it for me. or she will be grounded for months.

Thanks again

Andy

S

Sky Raider

P47 D Thunderbolt Construction 1/8th Scale

Well folks,

We didnt win at the open day, it was a very close comp, unfortunatly because the Jug wasnt flying today it lost valuable points. A Texan beat me, it was unfortunate, as the Texan wasnt full scale and took the lead because it flew the circuit. Im not too disapointed because i got to take some good shot on the runway and everyone who checked her out was amazed. Here a the finishing shots for you guys & Gals to see.

What do you think gang?.

Andy

View attachment 19094

View attachment 19095

View attachment 19096

View attachment 19097

View attachment 19098

View attachment 19099

View attachment 19100

View attachment 19101

View attachment 19102

View attachment 19103

Thunderbolt 1.jpg

Thunderbolt 2.jpg

Thunderbolt 3.jpg

Thunderbolt 4.jpg

Thunderbolt 5.jpg

Thunderbolt 6.jpg

Thunderbolt 7.jpg

Thunderbolt 8.jpg

Thunderbolt 9.jpg

Thunderbolt 10.jpg

G

Gladiator111

Ah, no worries about the comp mate, I'm sure you would have won by a mile if the Jug had flown. What does matter is that its finished, and she's a beaut! You have to do a double take with the pics to see if it's the real thing or not. You must be dead chuffed with your achievement.

One question, how has she balanced out? I forget if you discussed this during the build, but I know I had fun with this problem with a glider I had built in my youth. I guess not having a motor made it all that more critical for me, but as you have built to true scale, would that have created its own challenges for balance?

Chris

PS..My only humble suggestion Andy, would be to get some flying lessons under your belt, cos points make prizes! ;) heh, well done chap.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi andy, seeing her all finished and on the tarmac is brilliant,looks real!!shame about the mardy bum judges knocking points off for not flying,youll win next time.Are those machine guns fully functional! all you need now is a 1/8 scale german train to strafe!!ha ha. well done mate , roll on the b25!! cheers tony:gun2:

S

Satnav313

Andy....the jug is stunning!

Sorry about the competition, but im sure the texan felt a little nervous when he saw yours.

Theres always next year.(:no1:Im sure you'll get it.)

Cant wait to see the maiden flight and im looking forward to the B-25.

Tom

B

Bluewavestudios

Hi Andy,

I can only agree with the other comments so far, especially Tom's above about the Texan owner being nervous on seeing the Jug. Your turn will definitely come. It's a shame they didn't have a static judging competition as you would have well and truly romped home with 1st Prize in that.

Time to get your wings now with the Cub and then move on to the Jug when you are ready, I am sure she will look great in the air too !!

Love the photo's - as has already been said, you could easily be looking at the real thing here. Very nicely done and a real credit to you.

Regards........Mark.

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Ah, no worries about the comp mate, I'm sure you would have won by a mile if the Jug had flown. What does matter is that its finished, and she's a beaut! You have to do a double take with the pics to see if it's the real thing or not. You must be dead chuffed with your achievement.One question, how has she balanced out? I forget if you discussed this during the build, but I know I had fun with this problem with a glider I had built in my youth. I guess not having a motor made it all that more critical for me, but as you have built to true scale, would that have created its own challenges for balance?

Chris

PS..My only humble suggestion Andy, would be to get some flying lessons under your belt, cos points make prizes! ;) heh, well done chap.
Hi Chris, thanks for your comments. I have yet to sort the centre of gravity and get the balance, shouldt be too bad, everyone was eager to feel the weight and said it looks heavier than it is. I will let you all know how she weighs in soon.

I am starting my flying instruction in a couple of weeks, im luck because i have a mate who instructs at the club.

Thanks again

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
hi andy, seeing her all finished and on the tarmac is brilliant,looks real!!shame about the mardy bum judges knocking points off for not flying,youll win next time.Are those machine guns fully functional! all you need now is a 1/8 scale german train to strafe!!ha ha. well done mate , roll on the b25!! cheers tony:gun2:
Thanks for your kind words Tony, it was a bit of a bummer... the chap only took a few days to build the Texan. At least i have the satisfaction that it is a far superior build and nothing there could have touched it if it was a static show.

Cheers Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Andy....the jug is stunning!Sorry about the competition, but im sure the texan felt a little nervous when he saw yours.

Theres always next year.(:no1:Im sure you'll get it.)

Cant wait to see the maiden flight and im looking forward to the B-25.

Tom
Thanks Tom, much appreciated. The B25 will be even better, i feel i can do an even better job on this one now i know what im doing.

Thanks again Tom

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Hi Andy,I can only agree with the other comments so far, especially Tom's above about the Texan owner being nervous on seeing the Jug. Your turn will definitely come. It's a shame they didn't have a static judging competition as you would have well and truly romped home with 1st Prize in that.

Time to get your wings now with the Cub and then move on to the Jug when you are ready, I am sure she will look great in the air too !!

Love the photo's - as has already been said, you could easily be looking at the real thing here. Very nicely done and a real credit to you.

Regards........Mark.
Thanks Mark, Kind words are always appreciated, as i have said before... comments from you guys here are a great merit to me and i take each and everone as i would a gold star. Thank you all again.

Just for confirmation i have attached the pic of the military Section winner. Judge for your selves guys. No rivits, no panel lines, no detailed dumy engine and no scale detail. The guy is ok though, i do know him breifly. He must be over the moon, i would have said the the lancaster was even better and that one did fly to.

Chhers again

Andy

View attachment 19106

View attachment 19107

Texan.jpg

Lancaster Bomber.jpg

S

Satnav313

Although it is good, I have a criticism about the lancaster.

On the top between the cockpit and rear gun there should be a turret.

Tom

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Although it is good, I have a criticism about the lancaster.On the top between the cockpit and rear gun there should be a turret.

Tom
I agree Tom, but being a beginer i thought i shouldnt critasise a veteran. lol.

Cheers

Andy