Pacific Coast Models 1/32 Fw 190 A-1/2/3

K

Kressy_13

This is looking good mate, progressing nicely. Can't wait to see it with a coat of paint.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks. This one has been a bit of a jostle to be honest!

I don't think it is helpful to be too negative about a kit, as you can already see this makes a very nice looking Fw 190. At the same time I can only be honest, and I have struggled with this a bit. It's fair to say that whilst I might not be the best modeller in the world (by a very, very long way) I am reasonably experienced and I believe that someone very much less experienced would really have an up hill battle with this one.

I've already looked ahead to attaching the under carriage for example. The method proposed in the instructions simply won't work very well at all! Getting the angles correct on a Fw 190 is absolutely vital to getting the model to "sit" right.

I'm hoping to get some paint on next week, work permitting.

Cheers

Steve

P

Polux

Looking very good Steve.

Seems difficult, but you are doing a great work as always.

I'm wishing to see your paint Job on it :rolleyes:

Polux

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Coming along nicely despite the kit's drawbacks.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Coming along nicely despite the kit's drawbacks.
"Drawbacks"........that's one way of putting it Joe :smiling3:

I can assure you that there have been a couple of occasions when somewhat less restrained language has been emanating from my little "studio" :mad:

I've been a bit busy though I have sprayed RLM 04 on the rudder and underside of the engine cowling. It should be ready for masking today if I get a chance.

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
We have faith in your abilities to see this one off Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I finally got some paint on.

Pattern on wings is as per early Fw 190s and not as per instructions! There is a bit less of the darker colour on early schemes.

I've gone for RLM 71/02. Some early Fw 190s were produced in these colours, Armin Faber's A-3 was for example. There's no way of telling which scheme an aircraft is wearing from B+W photos, so if you painted this in RLM 74/75 it would not be "wrong" either.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've not found much time to get on with this but this morning I managed to squeeze in a few hours to get the decals on.

I always like this bit, though there is still a looooong way to go the model now has an identity. It's not a Fw 190 A-2, it's Bruno Heganaur's Fw 190 A-2.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have it the same way Steve. First when a model has it's ID is when it starts to look like something.

Good job on the decals and a cracking paint job by the way.

Ian M

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This looks to be coming along beautifully Steve.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Some more progress, I haven't given up!

The hood is fixed in an open position as it is not from the kit but borrowed from the spares and an old Hasegawa kit. It doesn't quite line up closed as I've had to modify it somewhat. It's okay open.

The antenna wire is already fitted at the canopy end as it passed over a roller on top of the canopy and doubled back into the fuselage. There was a tensioning system (abandoned much later on Fw 190s) which maintained tension in the antenna wire with the hood open. I've made an eyelet on the fin from fine copper wire to which I'll attach that end of the antenna at the very end.

Underneath the main undercarriage legs are attached.

This has been a major jostle. The kits attachment system is utter pants and I've had to make some modifications to get the legs on satisfactorily. They are pinned but because there is little material in the top of the bay insert and the upper surface of the wing is directly above that you have to be very careful!

I've made a start on some staining and weathering too.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Very nice Steve, looking good despite your hassles with the undercarriage. Your in the final stages and will be good to see your finished photos.

P

Polux

Very clean and tidy paint work Steve.

As always....of course ;)

Cheers