Pacific Coast Models 1/32 Fw 190 A-2

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm calling this done, though between me and you I noticed when I took the photos that I haven't fitted the wing tip navigation lights :smiling3:

My subject was Bruno Hegenauer's Fw 190 A-2 as seen in France in the spring of 1942.

The aircraft is at cockpit readiness (sitzbereitschaft) with a pilot, possibly Hegenauer aboard. Sitzbereitschaft was the most immediate state of readiness, the aircraft would take off as soon as an alarm was given.

The Geschwader Stab of JG 26 'Schlageter' adopted a unique marking system whereby the pilots' initials were applied to the sides of the aircraft in black lettering.

This A-2, W.Nr. 0202 was an early example and I have chosen to use the RLM 71/02/65 camouflage scheme. It could just as easily have been in 74/75/76 but I've got a lot of that scheme on my shelves already. A good, if not exactly rigorous reason for a change!

Here's the model. You can see the build here.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/pacific-coast-models-1-32-fw-190-a-1-2-3.19527/

Finally an imitation of a picture taken of Armin Faber's aircraft, presumably by someone on a ladder or upper floor!

Bruno Hegenauer was killed in Tunisia in May 1943. At the time he had five victories. This relatively low number was probably a result of his having flown as a wingman to several 'experten', including Galland, throughout his career. In the Luftwaffe system a famous ace's wingman was not expected to make attacks himself.

The aircraft didn't last that long either. Oblt. Wilfried Sieling was shot down by a Spitfire whilst flying it on 30th April 1942. The aircraft dived vertically into the ground near Gravelines (France), killing Sieling and being 100% destroyed.

Cheers

Steve

C

CDW

That's really good, I like it when you do a comparison photo between the model and actual aircraft.

As far as the Wing tip light things.... Wouldn't have known myself, I take it they fit into the little divots?

I did notice that the actual image has some black 'lines' on the top surface of the rear wings near the end just in front of the flap doodah (Technical eh? :smiling3: ) , yours hasn't, any reason? Or is it a photo issue due to age?

P

Polux

Fantastic work there Steve.

Another great build.

Cheers. Polux

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks chaps. I'm glad to have got this one done as it fought me all the way. The redeeming feature is that like all PCM kits it eventually makes an accurate model!

\ said:
I did notice that the actual image has some black 'lines' on the top surface of the rear wings near the end just in front of the flap doodah (Technical eh? :smiling3: ) , yours hasn't, any reason? Or is it a photo issue due to age?
Do you mean these bits Colin?

Its the back of the horizontal stabiliser in shadow. The elevator is deflected upwards and this reveals the back of the stabiliser due to the shape of the elevator.

Here's a picture of another Fw 190, in fact another A-2, which is self explanatory.

There's even a bucket in the photo :smiling3:

The elevators on my model are posed in a neutral position because they were moulded into the tail plane and I couldn't be arsed to cut them out :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

C

CDW

Them's the bits Steve, pretty straight forward and obvious when you point it all out mate.

Didn't think it was like you to miss major details, which is why I had to ask :smiling3:

Ta for the info,

where would we be without buckets, and why do some of us have an obsession with trying to include them in dios? ... Guilty as charged :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Them's the bits Steve, pretty straight forward and obvious when you point it all out mate.Didn't think it was like you to miss major details, which is why I had to ask :smiling3:

Ta for the info,
You are more than welcome. It's always good if a model can help someone learn something. I learn from just about every piece of armour posted :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is well nice Steve. I might have a go a one of Pacific's kits one day. They do build up good.

The usual excellent paint work to finish it off.

Great build and a well earned gong on its way.

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Beautiful as always Steve.

Gern

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Steve,

Another kit complete and another fabulous model to add to your already considerable collection! Great work as always and, as usual, superbly researched. These kits certainly aren't shake-n-bake and you deliver consistently great results with them.

Top stuff, Paul

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Beautiful build Steve, very nice paint finish. I enjoy your photographs too, very clear and crisp with a nice background.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great job Steve. I'm not really up on German aircraft, but the 190 does have a really nice shape about it.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks chaps, I'm glad you like it. It makes all the huffing and puffing involved in building it more worthwhile :smiling3:

\ said:
Great job Steve. I'm not really up on German aircraft, but the 190 does have a really nice shape about it.
I've always liked the look of the radial engine Fw 190s too. I think they look business like. As did many other types they got heavier and longer but these early versions are good looking aircraft. It was also a very good aircraft and came as a nasty surprise to the RAF.

The Fw 190 first appeared in September 1941 and it was quickly evident that it outclassed the Spitfire V in every respect. It was so superior that it, along with the Bf 109 F, caused the Air Staff to issue a directive on 13th November 1941 halting all but essential air operations over northern Europe.

Enter the Spitfire IX but that's another story.

Cheers

Steve

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Another great finish to a great build. Once again I managed to miss this as you normally post a link in your build thread. Any chance in the future of you posting larger photos of your builds and finished shots they are a bit on the small side and it would be nice to see more detail. :smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Airfix Modeller Freak

great detailed plane steve- great replica of the original photo- keep up at it!

B

BigZimmo

Hi Steve!!!

Interesting example and a really good implementation as a model, well done!! :smiling3:

Stefan;)

K

Kressy_13

Another great build mate. Typical high standard and always impressive. Well done.