Paint mixing

R

Rdelavega

Hello, I am new at this forum and also new at model scaling. I've completed Revell's HMS Victory and Revell's Spirit of Saint Louis, not to good though but I'm still woring to improve. I recently purchased Revell's Bismarck 1:350 and I've finally got all the paints the instructions ask for (which is hard hence I'm from Colombia and it's difficult to find everything) but I have some doubts before I start:

1. I don't know how to mix the enamel paints as the manual says. I mean, I have the dropper but last time I used it it got all stained with the paint and won't vanish. I don't know if I have to use a special liquid to mix the paints.
  2. My thinner to clean the brushes is almost over and dirty from all the other paints and I'm hoping I can use another brand, since Revell's can't be found around here.
  3. Any tip on how to protect the model from dirt and salt (I live in a city near the coast) is well received.
Thanks in advance and sorry for all the writing. Please be esay on me since I'm new at this.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hello and welcome. don't worry about asking questions there are plenty here who will answer them for you.

You can thin your enamels with white spirit or turpentine substitute. I don't know what it would be called in Colombia but it must be available from hardware type stores.It is much cheaper than branded thinners so you can use it more freely. I've attached a piccy of a "generic" white spirit available here in the U.K.

For mixing paints you might want to try using drinking straws. Cut lengths (about 6-8 cms). You can introduce them into your paint, seal the top with a finger and then withdraw the paint. Release it by removing your finger. Throw the straw away, no need for cleaning!

As for protecting your model from dust etc you can only try to minimise exposure. I keep some smaller parts in plastic containers while they dry. For a finished model some are lucky enough to have display cabinets others,like me, just have to dust from time to time.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 20267

IMG_1837.jpg

R

Rdelavega

Thanks very much mate. I know pretty well the White Spirit, around here it's called Varsol. Tnaks for the tip. Just one question, though. I should just mix the paints in a little cup? No special mixing liquid or anything?

Thaks a lot!

D

dubster72

Just to add to what Steve has already said, any paint can be mixed directly without the need for any other medium, be they oils, acrylics or enamels. The thinner is only there to make the paint flow better & give a smoother, more even coat. For small amounts, I just pick a dab of paint out of each tin with my brush & for larger amounts I use a pipette then mix them & use them! Keep experimenting & it will all fall into place. Patrick