Paint runs

L

Levi van den Berg

So my paint started running after spraying. Does anyone have any tips?
I was thinking about waiting 3 days and taking some thinner putting it on a brush and activate the paint again so I can spread the runs out to make them less visible but if you guys know a Better option ( that doesn't involve wet- sanding) I would like to hear it.

The part is going to be covered with decals so it doesn't have to be perfect just less noticeable.IMG-20180916-WA0001.jpeg

L

Levi van den Berg

And I hope that the runs will go away a little bit when drying because i use enamel

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Enamels are difficult to reactivate with thinners. I think your only option is sanding.

Pete

L

Levi van den Berg

Enamels are difficult to reactivate with thinners. I think your only option is sanding.

Pete
My experience tells otherwise if the paint hasn't cured fully yet but is touchable you can still reactivate it

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Personally, I’d wait until it’s good and dry and then use fine wet-and-dry sandpaper (wet), followed by repainting the affected areas.

D

Dave S4

Hi, Levitt
I use enamels and have experienced the same thing.
It's often due to the spraying pressure being too high, so try lowering that and adopting a more sparing approach when spraying. Adding another coat once the last one has dried is easier than trying to remove hardened drips.
You may well be stuck with sanding for this one (washes accentuate runs and blobs and make them more obvious).
Good luck.

S

Steve Noble

Either sandout the runs and repaint, or strip and repaint. Trying to brush thinner onto the runs and reactivate the paint to smooth them out will leave a big mess...