Paint

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Personally I use Tamiya diluted with Mr levelling thinners. Sprays well for me. I dont get quite such good results with Mr Hobby paints and I find spraying water based acrylics still hit and miss. You’ll need a respirator for them. I usually brush paint with Vallejo.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Y thats true. I am a Airbrush guy. But is the tamiya paint the best paint for Airbrush and modells?
Tamiya are well regarded for use in an airbrush but the best airbrush paints are, without a doubt, lacquers.

My preference are the MRP lacquers for a number of reasons.

1/ They have a huge colour range so no mixing at all is needed. Paints are identified by their FS, BS, RLM etc codes so matching to a scheme is easy enough. That is a clear advantage over Tamiya with their limited range of colours, not always clearly identified.

2/ They come in large 30ml bottles (10ml Tamiya)

3/ They are ‘airbrush ready’ and need no thinning with a very fine pigment so they spray like silk at a very low psi (10-15 or even lower). I have never thinned MRP (or mixed colours) over the last 5/6 years using them. Not even for mottle and fine lines.

4/ They dry very quickly and are ready to mask over within 30 minutes and that’s playing safe. Water based acrylics take a lot longer and need to cure before you can mask them.

5/ They adhere well and are relatively robust. Much better than water based acrylics by a wide margin.

6/ Because they don’t need any thinning and are consistent between colours they have a short learning curve. One of the challenges being the balance between psi, thinning ratios, distance etc for airbrushing. These eliminate one factor, thinning ratios making them so much more user friendly.

There are disadvantages and it’s fair to mention them.

1/ They smell. This means you really need a good spray booth that can extract through a window.

2/ The headline price at a bit under £5 is more expensive that most. But, remember they hold two to three times as much paint as other brands in the bottles. You get what you pay for after all and quality costs.

3/ They are no good for hand brushing. I keep a small selection of Vallejo MC to hand brush fine details over the MRP, about 11/12 colours are all that’s needed.

All in all if you are looking for the best airbrush paints then that’s what I would recommend.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
And not to forget that Tamiya now also have a range og lacquers.
Then there is also the what you can get in your part of the world. I recall you are in Norway, but have no idea how 'easy' it is to get things there. Are there many actual shops for our hobby or are you also 99% online hobby shops as well?
Vallejo model air is pretty good and the colours better named so easier to find, not like their model color range! Also ready to use but many thin them even more.
Vallejo model color range is good for both brush and airbrush work. A few experiments as to how much to thin it and the best air pressure. Once cured it is quite robust and waterproof. ( a hobby shop for RC boats here uses them all the time for their own builds).

Lacquer paints are easy to use, fast to dry but as Barry touched on harder to touch up ant damage/missed parts. Not impossible just harder. You need to 'touch' the area (hence the name, touch up?) with small but adequate dots of paint.

First Name
Benjamin bellest
Tamiya are well regarded for use in an airbrush but the best airbrush paints are, without a doubt, lacquers.

My preference are the MRP lacquers for a number of reasons.

1/ They have a huge colour range so no mixing at all is needed. Paints are identified by their FS, BS, RLM etc codes so matching to a scheme is easy enough. That is a clear advantage over Tamiya with their limited range of colours, not always clearly identified.

2/ They come in large 30ml bottles (10ml Tamiya)

3/ They are ‘airbrush ready’ and need no thinning with a very fine pigment so they spray like silk at a very low psi (10-15 or even lower). I have never thinned MRP (or mixed colours) over the last 5/6 years using them. Not even for mottle and fine lines.

4/ De tørker veldig raskt og er klare til å maskere over innen 30 minutter, og det er trygt. Vannbaserte akryler tar mye lengre tid og må herde før du kan maskere dem.

5/ De fester godt og er relativt robuste. Mye bedre enn vannbasert akryl med stor margin.

6/ Fordi de ikke trenger noe tynning og er konsistente mellom farger, har de en kort læringskurve. En av utfordringene er balansen mellom psi, tynningsforhold, avstand etc for airbrushing. Disse eliminerer én faktor, tynnere forhold gjør dem så mye mer brukervennlige.

Det er ulemper, og det er greit å nevne dem.

1/ De lukter. Dette betyr at du virkelig trenger en god sprøyteboks som kan trekke ut gjennom et vindu.

2/ Overskriftsprisen på litt under £5 er dyrere enn de fleste. Men husk at de holder to til tre ganger så mye maling som andre merker i flaskene. Du får tross alt det du betaler for og kvalitet koster.

3/ De er ikke bra for håndbørsting. Jeg holder et lite utvalg av Vallejo MC for å håndbørste fine detaljer over MRP, omtrent 11/12 farger er alt som trengs.

Alt i alt hvis du leter etter de beste airbrush-malingene, så er det det jeg vil anbefale.
Thx, these paintssounds great, i have only been using tamiya and few times humbrol. But these sounds amasing. So i think they will come handy for camo and aircraft painting. But to cokpit i will still use tamiya like kockpit green as its so good paint for RAF planes. So on. But thx for your answear!

First Name
Benjamin bellest
Og for ikke å glemme at Tamiya nå også har et utvalg av lakk.
Så er det også det du kan få i din del av verden. Jeg husker at du er i Norge, men aner ikke hvor 'lett' det er å få ting dit. Er det mange faktiske butikker for hobbyen vår, eller er du også 99% online hobbybutikker?
Vallejo modell luft er ganske bra og fargene bedre navngitt så lettere å finne, ikke som modellfargespekteret deres! Også klar til bruk, men mange tynner dem enda mer.
Vallejo modellfargespekter er bra for både pensel- og airbrush-arbeid. Noen få eksperimenter om hvor mye den skal tynnes og det beste lufttrykket. Når den er herdet er den ganske robust og vanntett. (en hobbybutikk for RC-båter her bruker dem hele tiden til sine egne bygg).

Lakkmalinger er enkle å bruke, tørker raskt, men ettersom Barry berørte vanskeligere å reparere maurskade/bortkomne deler. Ikke umulig bare vanskeligere. Du må "røre" området (derav navnet, touch up?) med små, men tilstrekkelige prikker med maling.
Tx. I use online shop like poland to get resin. But my hobby shop birkemo has all the tamiya paint. I will tho search for bether paint. Have seen valjor made some paint kit for specifyed planes. But i will chek it up as some stores in norway maybe has that paint.