Painting by airbrush, what is required...?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
There is no financial advantage in buying acrylics over enamels. In fact when you add certain products such as airbrush cleaner, flow enhancer it begins to be considerably more expensive to use acrylics over enamels.

I use enamels, thinned with white spirit which is cheap as chips.

However, if smell isn't a problem I would recommend you try either Tamiya acrylics or Mr Hobby Aqueous & thin either or both with cellulose thinner.

You'll avoid all the typical problems associated with using acrylics (clogging, tip dry etc) and get a beautifully smooth finish. You'll also not need to use primer because the use of the cellulose will mean the paint grips perfectly.

I should add that the use of primer is not just to make sure acrylics grip.  It is also to show up flaws in the build to enable corrective action while also providing a consistent basis on which to apply your top coat.  The latter is particularly important when using different materials plastic alongside p.e. and/or resin.  In any case you should always use a primer when applying metallics of whatever type as these really emphasise build flaws.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
As far as noise goes, my spray booth includes a big old snail fan which shifts air at the rate of 355m3/hr and it is definitely louder than my compressor which isn't running continually anyway.

Neither are exactly deafening, though they do serve as an excuse not to hear SWMBO calling from the kitchen :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Neither are exactly deafening, though they do serve as an excuse not to hear SWMBO calling from the kitchen :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Hahaha to true xD , though i spray in the utility, god send for a constant supply of running water to clean the brush, Downside SWMBO can actually pop her head through the archway from the kitchen  :sad:

Last edited by a moderator: